Thread: Humidity Help!

cvBon1

Question Humidity Help!

I need help/advice on how to keep my humidity at a stable/okay level. My tanks are getting dry rather quickly and I'm not always there to mist them, and I have tried makign a makeshift drip system but they either drain too quickly or dont work at all...

After a good misting my humidity only seems to stay around 60... though I figure it should be up to at least 80...

I am right now trying to save up for a good humidifier for my actual room (because my place itself is low in its humidex reading) and hopefully if my actual room is normal maybe my tank can stay normal.

Any suggestions though to keeping a moist terrarium?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Humidity Help!

Show us a picture of the terrarium - that'll help to answer the question.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

cvBon1

Question Re: Humidity Help!

Here is shot of one the terrariums, I understand there tops are like a mesh and it'll allow humidity to escape, its just its the top that came with it...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Spelatic

Well, these are pacmans right? I heard of some people that just add however much water is needed to make the soil nice and moist, instead of misting. Personally, I have never had a pacman, but i am just trying to help

cvBon1

Question Re: Humidity Help!

The soil is quite moist, not as moist as it could be considering one of my tanks has a eak I cant seem to find, so if I pour too much water into the soil it'll leak out. But besides that, it does have moist soil and still it seems to be a little too dry. M one pacman sits in his dish so I am not too worried about him, but the other buries himself. I just wanna make sure he'll be okay...

Minhocao

Photos of the substrate, where they buried the frog. I think that if you spray it daily should not be any problem .. but that it is not water logged.

Kurt

You can always place a piece of glass on top of the cage. That is how I maintain humidity in my dart tank. Humidity runs in between 80 & 90%. I am not sure how much ventilation a horned frog requires though.

cvBon1

Talking Re: Humidity Help!

Thanks guys.

I mist them everyday to keep them moist, its just if Im away at all, if my roomate forgets Id like to make sure it can last longer than a day without drying up too much

Nationality
    [United States]

Quick question:

What type of light/bulb is being used with this enclosure?
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

cvBon1

The light is a ReptiGlo 2.0 Full Sectrum UVB

Nationality
    [United States]

There is a big part of your problem. That is a reptile basking bulb. It focuses a great deal of heat in one place and *poof* evaporates all your water.

I suggest utilizing the plexi-glass trick described above (that is what I do too) and replacing that light with either a fluorescent or raising it much higher over the vivarium. If heat is needed for this enclosure I feel am infrared radiant type heater would be better. With that and the plexi panels, you will have a less intense hotspot, but will still be able to maintain a warm, moist environment.

This is not a species I have worked with, but I am most certain any sort of UV bulb is a bad choice for amphibians.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

cvBon1

Its not a basking light though, there is next to no heat coming from it... unles you put your hand right against the bulb. Its not meant to emit any form of heat, just UVB

That and I was told the UVB would help, since he isnt getting any form of sunlight really, that the UVs would help him break down cretain minerals/vitamins. Kinda like we all need the sun for that

Nationality
    [United States]

That is often the sales pitch, but in the case of amphibians, there is documented evidence that UV radiation is harmful. Research the natural habitat of this species and then think about how much UV they get.

But more on topic, even a little bit of heat from an incandescent bulb will adversely affect humidity.

Thread Information