Thread: Urgent!! Bizzare behavior

Maharg

Default Urgent!! Bizzare behavior

So as Griff and a few you know yesterday my Pacman consumed a small amount of paper towel with his fish. I followed the required steps suggested including a warm honey bath. Today he did not eat so i purchased a space heater. As you can see from the pic, the temp is now around 26.
    I noticed he had moved out of his usual hiding space and looked very strange. Giant, bloated and brown.
    The first pic shows.

The second pic shows him emmediately after what followed. He oddly began rubbing his back legs along his bloated stomach. Hos body almost convulsing like hickups. This seemed to release the pressure on the side he was working, with almost a whimper or flatulent noise. I placed him in his water dish which he never seems to find on his own. He emmediately shrunk down and color returned, although the brown could have been dirt accumulating on his body.

What is this a sign of? What can I do?

Humidity is maintained at 80%, and the he I have been referring to is a she lol. Too dificult to go back and change as I am on a mobile phone.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Maharg

Default Re: Urgent!! Bizzare behavior

Also, the frog is appearing extremely bumpy now. Nodes, almost like hundreds of skin tags all over her lower abdomen

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

"He oddly began rubbing his back legs along his bloated stomach."

Lol, your frog was shedding.
    I don't know if you have noticed yet, but Horned frogs have bumpy nodes all over their skind that get bigger as they grow.

Your temps look pretty good. I would try to get them up a little bit higher, closer to 82. Aside from space heating the room, how do you heat the tank itself?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

You could also set the water dish into the ground a little deeper. It may not be an issue of not finding it, it may just not need to use it very frequently.

What size tank is that?

Maharg

I believe the tank is a 5 gallon. Do the bumps enlarge prior to shedding? And im not inept when it comes to amphibian keeping, although I am new with frogs. Ive watched my geckos shed countless times. The skin peels off in large chunks, almost like a molt. If a frog sheds without the human eye being able to see the skin peel off, this is news to me. to me, it did not appear to be a shed.
    I also us a uth on the side of the tank to provide heat.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Maharg View Post
    I believe the tank is a 5 gallon. Do the bumps enlarge prior to shedding? And im not inept when it comes to amphibian keeping, although I am new with frogs. Ive watched my geckos shed countless times. The skin peels off in large chunks, almost like a molt. If a frog sheds without the human eye being able to see the skin peel off, this is news to me. to me, it did not appear to be a shed.
    I also us a uth on the side of the tank to provide heat.
    The skin-tag type bumps are normal. Frogs puff up their entire bodies prior to shedding and look just like yours did, then they use their back legs to push their skin up towards their mouth. They will also make yawning motions that look like they might be about to regurgitate or something to eat the skin sometimes.
    No one said you were inept. Frog's shed is completely transluscent and you may or may not be able to see it, but it looks completely different to the way reptiles shed. I've kept reptiles since I was ten, and thought my frog was about to die the first time I actually saw her shed.

Maharg

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    The skin-tag type bumps are normal. Frogs puff up their entire bodies prior to shedding and look just like yours did, then they use their back legs to push their skin up towards their mouth. They will also make yawning motions that look like they might be about to regurgitate or something to eat the skin sometimes.
    No one said you were inept. Frog's shed is completely transluscent and you may or may not be able to see it, but it looks completely different to the way reptiles shed. I've kept reptiles since I was ten, and thought my frog was about to die the first time I actually saw her shed.
    Thanks. It didnt look at all right to me, but then again ive never seen a frog shed. So coming off the heels of the paper towel consumption previously, I thought I had an issue for sure.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Thanks. It didnt look at all right to me, but then again ive never seen a frog shed. So coming off the heels of the paper towel consumption previously, I thought I had an issue for sure.
    They will also secrete a mucus to coat their skin occasionally and the movements and process looks similar to them shedding. You will sometimes find pieces of shed in the frogs water as well so its there and you can see it you're just not looking hard enough.

Nationality
    [United States]

Usually bloating comes from a toxin issue and will affect the whole body. But, I can't think of anything on a typical piece of paper towel that would cause that.
    Just keep watching him and giving him soaks in warm water for awhile so he doesn't get impacted from it and he should be fine.

When you soak your frog, you can look at the area where the back legs meet the body, and you'll probably see excess shed stuck there. They shed very quickly and eat it as they go, so it can be difficult to actually catch them doing it.

KingCam

Do yourself a favor and quit worrying about every little thing. A tiny piece of paper towel isn't going to hurt your frog, honey bath was probably totally unnecessary (although I'm sure it didn't hurt anything either). As others have said, your frog was just shedding skin. Totally normal behavior.

Maharg

Quote Originally Posted by KingCam View Post
    Do yourself a favor and quit worrying about every little thing. A tiny piece of paper towel isn't going to hurt your frog, honey bath was probably totally unnecessary (although I'm sure it didn't hurt anything either). As others have said, your frog was just shedding skin. Totally normal behavior.
    Your right. It was so dificult to take the 5 minutes out of my time to ask the question. And im sorry to all the people whos time I wasted. I know people hate coming on forums to fulfill its sole purpose of answering questions and sharing experience to others. What was I thinking?

Maharg

And on a side note to the people who put my worry to rest by informing me that she is indeed just shedding, thank you.

Thread Information