Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check these guys out..

Pluke

Default Check these guys out..

Just got them this morning. Samurai blue Male and a fat Female Lime Green albino. I went into this expecting to get two males and the minute I saw the albino I suspected female.. can't find any marks above it's thumbs. There is a picture of the sam.blue showing me his thumb.

Name:  S.Blue&LimeGreenAlb. 011.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  53.4 KBName:  S.Blue&LimeGreenAlb. 010.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  53.8 KBName:  S.Blue&LimeGreenAlb. 005.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  104.3 KBName:  S.Blue&LimeGreenAlb. 004.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  57.3 KBName:  S.Blue&LimeGreenAlb. 003.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  47.9 KBName:  S.Blue&LimeGreenAlb. 002.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  84.8 KBName:  S.Blue&LimeGreenAlb. 001.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  71.0 KBName:  S.Blue&LimeGreenAlb. 009.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  53.1 KBName:  S.Blue&LimeGreenAlb. 007.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  106.7 KBName:  S.Blue&LimeGreenAlb. 006.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  82.1 KBName:  S.Blue&LimeGreenAlb. 008.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  62.3 KB

So happy with these guys.. the blue is amazing. I was really happy to find out that the Lime Green was actually female because I found out last night my albino was male.. so I guess this works out, heh. These guys have been kept on the blue filter foam you see in the pictures their whole life and fed samurai food as froglets and been getting fed f/t pinkies once a week for quite some time I guess. I don't know whether to put them on eco earth or not. They've also been kept at a steady 72 degrees their whole lives too from what I've been told. Which seemed odds from everything I've heard on these forums but they seem to be in good health. I figure when frogs burrow in a 80 degree tank that the substrate their in is a bit lower in temps.. same in the wild. He says they've ate fine and been happy at 72, but I'm going to keep them around 80 I suppose.

What do you guys think? Keep them on the foam or eco earth? I really don't want to put the blue in eco earth in fear of him trying to blend in and losing his colors.

Hope you guys like the pics.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kira Hudson

Default Re: Check these guys out..

love that blue

illuminati

I am new to this but that top frog is just absolutely gorgeous

Pluke

Lol, thanks guys. He is quite the looker. I saw him at the taylor reptile show last month and couldn't stop thinking about him.. managed to contact the guy who had it and now he is all mine.

illuminati

He reminds me of Turquoise, awesome pick up glad you found the guy lol.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

They look good. Does the blue have greenish pattern or a brown pattern on its back?

I can't really tell how big the lime is but if its a female it looks plump enough to have eggs in her now.

Pluke

He definitely has some brown spots on his back, with a touch of green in them. You can see in the third pick the brown in the middle of him, but on the sides he has what looks like brown spots covered in green.

When I got these frogs I asked the guy about what they've been eating.. like I said before, he has only fed them f/t pinkies. I mentioned feeding them some nightcrawlers/dubias and he seemed kind of leery suggesting I stick to the pinkies. The albino wants food now.. it's practically begging, it should be ok to feed them a nightcrawler or two right? I've got like 90 huge ones in my fridge...

And speaking of eggs, would I have to estivate my male first before putting them in a rain chamber or would he mate with her regardless?

Kira Hudson

you can feed them worms pinkies arnt all that good for them should be used as a treat not a staple

Pluke

Yeah that's pretty much the only thing my green will eat is nightcrawlers and my other albino loves them too.. I just thought it was strange when he was being so cautious about feeding them anything other than what they've been eating. The Sam.Blue pooped on his way home in his container and he basically liquefied it in minutes.. it was pretty gross. He said this was because of the pinkies, it makes their stool really soft.

Pluke

I meant to mention that they were purchased from Samurai back a couple of years ago at a Daytona show.

Why did you ask if the spots were brown or green mike?

Nationality
    [United States]

If they've been kept on the filter foam their entire lives then there isn't really a need to change that, but you can if you'd like. That is entirely your decision.

You could feed some worms now, but more than likely she will want to keep eating and you want to get them both used to your feeding schedule so don't make it a habit.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm sorry if this is off topic, but I've noticed here recently a few of the members using foam to keep their pacmans on. I kind-of like that idea better than Eco Earth as it makes me a little paranoid when I go to feed and they ingest it with their food item. I know it's highly digestible, but it still makes me leery. How often do you have to change the foam if kept in a set up like that?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by toxxxickitten View Post
    I'm sorry if this is off topic, but I've noticed here recently a few of the members using foam to keep their pacmans on. I kind-of like that idea better than Eco Earth as it makes me a little paranoid when I go to feed and they ingest it with their food item. I know it's highly digestible, but it still makes me leery. How often do you have to change the foam if kept in a set up like that?
    You will have to rinse off the foam and change water daily.

Kira Hudson

do you use it grif

GeorgiaBulls

Really awesome looking froggers!! That's one of the best looking blues I've seen..

Pluke

I'm gonna wait until it's feeding time tonight to feed them. Just to get a schedule going for them. I'm going to keep them on the foam too for now, I'll just put some fake plant in there with them for extra comfort. I might eventually change all my frogs to the foam once my rack comes. Haven't decided yet.. changing the water everyday seems like it would be a bit annoying especially when I'm on well water and can't just dechlorinate it. I don't trust the bleach method and buying a ton of spring water seems a bit unnecessary when I could just use Eco-earth. Gonna have to think about it. I definitely know I don't like it when my frogs eat eco earth caked to their worms, it just seems inevitable. Even when tong feeding they get some. They refuse to eat out of their tanks, too.

Nationality
    [United States]

That blue is so vibrant! You're so lucky!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Kira Hudson View Post
    do you use it grif
    No Kira I do not. I prefer Coco fiber. I sort through it thoroughly before placing it in the tanks to remove any debris that may be in the bricks or loose coco fiber and believe me there is a lot of debris that can be harmful to young frogs. A lot of the time there won't be much to worry about, but occasionally you get a brick that has a lot of stones, twigs, bark, wood chips, pieces of Easter Grass, pieces of plastic tarp, seeds, and blades of grass. Now this isn't all in one brick. This is just some of the hazards that I've found in the past.

There are pros and cons to every substrate available. Some more than others and cleaning is different for each. Some are quick and others not so much. It all depends on what kind of environment you wish to provide for your frog. Breeders prefer the quick and easy cleaning of the foam which is great when you have a few hundred frogs to care for and keep healthy. Coco fiber doesn't have to be changed out for a month(unless something contaminates it or the coir becomes overly saturated).

Nationality
    [United States]

Does anyone know where to get an amazing blue like that one??

Once again Luke it's a beauty

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    I meant to mention that they were purchased from Samurai back a couple of years ago at a Daytona show.

Why did you ask if the spots were brown or green mike?
    To see what type of samurai blue it was. There are a few different ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information