Thread: Picky tong feeder..

Madelon

Default Picky tong feeder..

Id like to give my little albino a healthy diet, but he turns out to be a picky eater. The only thing he eats by himself are crickets, he does not eat pieces of earthworm by himself. After watching the tong feeding video (which is awesome, thanks!), Ive been tong feeding pieces of earthworm for about four weeks now. I have to wiggle it in his face a little, but he normally takes it pretty quickly. However, he only takes food from tongs once. It doesnt matter what I feed him, or how hard I try, he seems to have a daily tong feed limit of one! I tried waiting up to 30 minutes in between, but he just doesnt take anything after the first time. The funny thing is, he will still catch and eat crickets by himself! So right now, he eats one piece of earthworm and 2-3 crickets a day.
    Im confused, is he being stubborn? Is this common behavior?
    I do gutload the crickets, and powder his food three times a week, so I think he gets enough nutrients, but its so annoying that I cant feed him more than one piece of earthworm per day!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Picky tong feeder..

Quote Originally Posted by Madelon View Post
    Id like to give my little albino a healthy diet, but he turns out to be a picky eater. The only thing he eats by himself are crickets, he does not eat pieces of earthworm by himself. After watching the tong feeding video (which is awesome, thanks!), Ive been tong feeding pieces of earthworm for about four weeks now. I have to wiggle it in his face a little, but he normally takes it pretty quickly. However, he only takes food from tongs once. It doesnt matter what I feed him, or how hard I try, he seems to have a daily tong feed limit of one! I tried waiting up to 30 minutes in between, but he just doesnt take anything after the first time. The funny thing is, he will still catch and eat crickets by himself! So right now, he eats one piece of earthworm and 2-3 crickets a day.
    Im confused, is he being stubborn? Is this common behavior?
    I do gutload the crickets, and powder his food three times a week, so I think he gets enough nutrients, but its so annoying that I cant feed him more than one piece of earthworm per day!
    Its ok if he only takes food once. He is still learning and will eventually take to the tongs. A few of mine would take from the tongs 3 times and then want to hunt the food themselves. This is fine and not unusual behavior. Just let the frog do what it wants and keep trying with the tongs.

Madelon

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Its ok if he only takes food once. He is still learning and will eventually take to the tongs. A few of mine would take from the tongs 3 times and then want to hunt the food themselves. This is fine and not unusual behavior. Just let the frog do what it wants and keep trying with the tongs.

Ok, thanks for the reassurance. I decided to give him a bigger piece of worm today so he got some more earthworm anyway, and he took it right away, yay!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Ok, thanks for the reassurance. I decided to give him a bigger piece of worm today so he got some more earthworm anyway, and he took it right away, yay!
    That's progress.

Nationality
    [United States]

Mine is the same way. She's never been a great eater with tongs or otherwise. Like Grif said, no need to worry, but I can usually get mine to snap at her worms if I rub the tip of them on her face or push at her mouth gently with the worm.

Madelon

And another question; Ive been feeding him in the evening, but normally turn the light in the room on. Would he eat better in the dark?

Nationality
    [United States]

And another question; Ive been feeding him in the evening, but normally turn the light in the room on. Would he eat better in the dark?
    Mine usually does. I think that just depends on the personality of the frog, some are more chill than others.

Thread Information