Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hey guys im new to this. i think i got the basics down

fbtmandude

Default hey guys im new to this. i think i got the basics down

so i bought a fbt about a week ago i wunted more then just the one.so i bought another one the next day i liked haven two but i wunted more so i got a third last night .i been reading up on them for a week b4 i bought them and i have a 10gallon tank thought it could use three.they all seem to like it i dont realy hear any barking or croaks so guess i have all females and aswell they all i have a long back middle finger.but the first one i bought jumped on the second 1 as soon as i put it in there but i heard no barking.thats about all right now if anyone has some tips and hits they can share that would be nice thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

FinnyBird

Default Re: hey guys im new to this. i think i got the basics down

Nice pics. I like the third one. Do you have a filter for the water?

fbtmandude

ya if u look in the forth pic u will see it..and ty there is alot more to come. for some reason they seem to wunt me to take pics of them

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Your setup is really cool! The toads are cute too!

fbtmandude

ty =)...check out my other photos there is more to come

fbtmandude

is there a way for me to get rid of the bubbles?

Nationality
    [Canada]

I just wanted to ask if you had a lid for the tank because these guys are great climbers!!!

Nationality
    [Canada]

I am assuming the bubbles are from the water running down the ledge? Maybe you could put another plant there or make another small land area?

FinnyBird

The bubbles are there just because it's a new setup. They'll dissolve within the week and you won't have the problem again unless you have to put massive amounts of water in it again or put something new in. But to help the process along, you can swirl the surface of the water so they aren't bunched up.

fbtmandude

my old set up was worse then this but i have a plant under the log and a fake plant the can chill on and yes i do have a lid.

fbtmandude

o and also why does my water trun red is that from the frogs or is that from my log?

FinnyBird

The water is turning red? Is it pinkish, like salmon, or actual red red? Do you have carbon in your filter?

fbtmandude

i dont think i have carbon in my fliter and it is a orange tint and if i wait a day or two it truns redish but i dont let it get to that

FinnyBird

It might be a type of algae or bacteria. Get a carbon insert of any sort and it'll clear up. So long as it isn't pink, you're fine, as pink indicates that the water is turning into a breeding ground for the salmonella bacteria. And even if it isn't pink, it's still a good idea to wash your hands thoroughly. You can go to any pet store and they'll sell containers of carbon, the smallest size running for about 5-10 dollars. Buy a carbon bag (like 30 cents) and put it in there, and fit the carbon into your filter. If you bought a fish filter for the tank, chances are it has carbon but not near enough. Your filter is for frogs, not for fish, so you'll have to improvise to make it work right. Amphibians of any sort -- frogs, turtles or otherwise -- need carbon or else the water gets really nasty and murky really fast.
    In the meantime, you can just change the water. It's also probably why your water is bubbly, so the carbon should help that, too. I'd say about 30 percent water change for now, so long as you dechlorinate. If you can't get carbon for a while, go ahead and place the frogs in a temporary container and put the water in without dechlorinating. It should help kill anything in there, and the chlorine will seep out within a day or so.

fbtmandude

ty for the info i will go in do that tmrw

Niima

Moss is great for them too, and inexpensive, wax worms are great to feed them, (you can get them all a live bait store in a tub and keep them in the fridge, they 'reanimate' when they're warmed up), better than crickets imo cause they seem to like to escape and die quicker. (A food dish would work to keep them seperate from the water)You can still dust them with the powder, which I normally get from petsmart where the crickets are. They love places to hide, so mix up the size of the plants, and don't completly clean every thing at one time. Keep the filter/water section away from the heat lamp if you can, I've noticed it evaporates the water. Get a preferably hang/standing heat lamp, rather than lay it on top of the cage, my first one burned out because of that.

Finally you don't have to go overboard with the decorations, they do notice when feeding time is and each toadie has their own personality so watch what they like and don't like. (Hope any of this helped you)
    -I learned all this from my own 3 Toads through trail and error-

FinnyBird

Uhh, about the wax worms -- I do NOT suggest using them as a part of the regular diet. Wax worms are very fatty. I give them only to sick and skinny frogs to help them gain some weight. They are not good nutrient-wise. You can give them to your toads as a treat -- being very fatty, they're very yummy -- but in the long run, they are not a staple. Everything else is pretty good information, though. I have eight toads and they've proved pretty much similar.

fbtmandude

i dont have the lamp on the cage and i dont always keep it on as well with the food i just went out and got wax worms they all loved em one of the frogs tryed and take it from another it was pretty funny..and other then that i think i have every thing else yall said.ty for all the help i will post if i need anything

fbtmandude

and i will also post pics of them throughout the weeks

Nationality
    [Canada]

Please don't feed them wax worms as a staple. They should be fed sparingly as treats only. They are fattening and have no nutritional value. I feed crickets dusted with calcium every other feeding and earthworms cut to about an inch long. They also LOVE butterworms as treats!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information