Thread: Screen cage or glass viv for phyllomedusa bicolor (giant waxy monkey frog)?

Default Screen cage or glass viv for phyllomedusa bicolor (giant waxy monkey frog)?

ive read conflicting info on this. can anyone give some thoughts on how to best keep these? i've read that screen is better for low humidity and better airflow but glass would be better for keeping heat and to prevent injury from nose rubbing along the sides. how does everyone keep em?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Screen cage or glass viv for phyllomedusa bicolor (giant waxy monkey frog)?

i have waxys in glass exo terra 18x18x24, it works well, but I would love the cage with screen sides and glass front for better viewing but such a thing doesn't exist. they need airflow and low humidity, I've never heard of nose rubbing injuries, but they don't really rub their noses, they are slow and moving like monkeys.
    the only problem with screen cages is keeping temps, but if you get basking lamp, they will choose what temp they like better, if too cold will move higher, closer to the lamp.
    Last edited by Lija; September 28th, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

thanks. how big of an enclosure do you think would be good for a trio of babies? will too big be a problem?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Screen cage or glass viv for phyllomedusa bicolor (giant waxy monkey frog)?

the bigger the better good that you are getting trio, they love company!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

HerpDerp

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    i have waxys in glass exo terra 18x18x24, it works well, but I would love the cage with screen sides and glass front for better viewing but such a thing doesn't exist.
    Are you talking about something like this? Zilla FLX Terrarium at PETCO
    I just saw it the other day at petco and thought it was a cool concept!

Nationality
    [Canada]

wow, never seen this, is it glass in the front and mesh from the sides? if so - that is my dream tank for my waxys

HerpDerp

I believe it has mesh on the top and on at least one side. The idea is that you can use it the long way or the tall way. It was pretty cool.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Did you decide on the full screened enclosure, partial screen or tank for your waxies??

Default Screen cage or glass viv for phyllomedusa bicolor (giant waxy monkey frog)?

got dicked over and the guy who was supposed to have the froggies kept giving me the runaround after i sent him $. very tough to come by cbb bicolors and i didnt want wc adults

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry to hear that. Hope you manage to find some.

ZipperMouth

Quote Originally Posted by beez View Post
    got dicked over and the guy who was supposed to have the froggies kept giving me the runaround after i sent him $. very tough to come by cbb bicolors and i didnt want wc adults
    what does cbb and wc mean if you dont mind me asking..

Nationality
    [United States]

cb stands for captive bred and wc stands for wild caught
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nationality
    [United States]

Wondering if you ever found any captive bred babies? I'm looking and don't know where to look.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey, look on Rainforest Junkies. com. They have them listed right now as frogs they are working with so they may have some available or some become available in the near future. And the future wouldn't be bad if you don't have everything you will need to keep them because these guys if there husbandry isn't spot on will not be happy campers and it will lead to a lot of problems. And you want everything setup because once you get them these guys really need there time and space to settle in and you will have to really leave them be and not stress them, I have seen some posts and stuff that people have said it took a couple months for their giants to settle and be totally secure with their new surroundings.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Mike Novy ( rainforest junkies) is not working with waxes for a long time now, and no cb bi colours are around for about the same time. Your best bet if you want a giant is to get wc and deal with it accordingly.

17. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

He needs to update his webpage then because they are still advertised on it. L.O.L

Nationality
    [United States]

I think they are advertising wild caught..?

From what I've read. The difference between the Bicolor, and Saveggi, or Sauvegi, is definitely size?

Found some Pacymedusa Danicolor, available (wild caught) but rather pricey. I believe they are larger?

We are hoping to obtain some by the end of the year.

No rush, and want to do it right!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Thread Information