Thread: New Pacman is puffed/bloated

kellergirl13

Default New Pacman is puffed/bloated

I'm new to this forum and I know there are a ton of questions/answers on here but I've been searching for answers for hours and I really need to talk to someone. I bought an albino pacman tonight. I've been checking him out and researching for a week and got him. My concern is he's staying puffed up and isn't relaxing. On the way home he'd puff a lot almost like he couldn't control it but he'd go back down to normal size. Then about a couple mins from my house he puffed up again and he hasn't gone down since. Btw, he pooped in the pet store container on the way home. He's my first pacman but I have a pixie and he's never stayed swollen like this guy is doing. I'm really worried and want to know if there's something I can do to figure out what's going on and help him. I read that letting him soak in luke warm water could help and I've done 3 soaks tonight. He isn't as solid feeling as earlier but is still huge. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Pacman is puffed/bloated

Quote Originally Posted by kellergirl13 View Post
    I'm new to this forum and I know there are a ton of questions/answers on here but I've been searching for answers for hours and I really need to talk to someone. I bought an albino pacman tonight. I've been checking him out and researching for a week and got him. My concern is he's staying puffed up and isn't relaxing. On the way home he'd puff a lot almost like he couldn't control it but he'd go back down to normal size. Then about a couple mins from my house he puffed up again and he hasn't gone down since. Btw, he pooped in the pet store container on the way home. He's my first pacman but I have a pixie and he's never stayed swollen like this guy is doing. I'm really worried and want to know if there's something I can do to figure out what's going on and help him. I read that letting him soak in luke warm water could help and I've done 3 soaks tonight. He isn't as solid feeling as earlier but is still huge. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    I need to see pics of the frog. If he puffed up and went back down on his own then there is probably nothing wrong. They inflate just as Pyxi Frogs do when they are angry or threatened. They also do this right before they shed to stretch the old skin for easy removal.

Get some photos up.

Nationality
    [United States]

By the description it kind of sounds like the frog is just threatened since you just brought him home, IMO. However, post some pictures just for verification.

kellergirl13

Thank you both SO much for responding! I'm really concerned about him, he's still puffed up huge. He's moving around some but he isn't deflating any. I really want to help him because if I take him back to the petstore I'm sure he'll die. They don't really care about the animals. I've already saved a three footed red legged walking frog from there.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you both SO much for responding! I'm really concerned about him, he's still puffed up huge. He's moving around some but he isn't deflating any. I really want to help him because if I take him back to the petstore I'm sure he'll die. They don't really care about the animals. I've already saved a three footed red legged walking frog from there.
    Are you de-chlorinating his water? If it is indeed bloat then there are two kinds. Hard and soft. It doesn't look good if he can't deflate. Does it feel like air or fluid?

kellergirl13

I de-chlorinate all of my pets water but I've only had him for a day and I'm not sure if the pet store does. Plus, he started this before he even made it home to my water. It definitely feels like air. He's moving around and is very alert and responsive but it's obvious by the way he moves that something isn't right. I'm going to google it now but you could probably give me a more informed answer as to the differences in hard and soft bloat. I know in dogs it's an intestinal/stomach thing but I don't know much about bloat in amphibians.

kellergirl13

Grif, could it be dropsy or edema from a bacterial infection? I'm not reading good things about the possibility of him surviving with bloat
    I did find this about curing dropsy. Will you let me know what you know and/or think?

"Treat the bacterial infection that is causing the bloat. Feed the frog antibiotic fish food that contains Oxytetracycline, such as Metrodmed. Oxytetracycline is bacteriorstatic, meaning it will not kill off the good or beneficial bacteria that live in your fish tank. Metromed is a good medicated fish food to use as it contains three types of active antibacterial medications, Metronidazole, Ormetoprim-sulfa and Oxytetracycline. These three medications can work quickly to help your frog fight off the infection."

Nationality
    [Canada]

Is there a possibility of taking him to a vet tomorrow? I wish I could be of more help but I dont know much about pacs or frog illnesses. He is a beautiful frog and I hope he pulls through!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Is there a possibility of taking him to a vet tomorrow? I wish I could be of more help but I dont know much about pacs or frog illnesses. He is a beautiful frog and I hope he pulls through!
    I second this post.

It is most likely intestinal and you will need a Vet. He may be impacted and its to the point that it is causing an infection. Soft bliat is more treatable than hard bloat as hard bloat is usually afted the frog has become septic. I suggest a trip to tha Herp Vet. This may be safer than trying to treat him at home.
    P
    What was he housed on as substrate at the store?

EDIT; No I don't think its dropsy because dropsy is serous fluid buildup in little blisters or cysts usually around the abdominal region. Some affected areas can be quite large. Could be Edema, but I don't think so. It is definitely gas buildup probably due to an internal bacterial infection it a parasite like worms. You need a Vet. I wish there was more I could do.

kellergirl13

Thank you for responding! He's still just as swollen today. I've tried to find a vet that will see him but no one around here does specialty plus they're closed for the weekend. It's so frustrating because I have an awesome vet back home in Georgia. Right now I'm in a rural part of Louisiana where I had to try 6 vets before I could find one to simply neuter my rabbit. Doing nothing means he'll more than likely die. I'm heading to a couple pet stores to see if I can get any answers. Maybe ithey at least know of a vet that will treat amphibians. I have to save him. Not only is he beautiful and has an awesome personality but he's a life. I feel like if I give him back (which the pet store will say since he has a 14 day guarantee) that he'll definitely die. Thanks again guys, I'll let you know how he does.

Grif, he was in coconut fiber. I've read that mealworms aren't good for them. Could that be it? I can't say for sure that he ate them since his tank didn't have any food in it but I did see mealworms in pretty much every tank they had.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you for responding! He's still just as swollen today. I've tried to find a vet that will see him but no one around here does specialty plus they're closed for the weekend. It's so frustrating because I have an awesome vet back home in Georgia. Right now I'm in a rural part of Louisiana where I had to try 6 vets before I could find one to simply neuter my rabbit. Doing nothing means he'll more than likely die. I'm heading to a couple pet stores to see if I can get any answers. Maybe ithey at least know of a vet that will treat amphibians. I have to save him. Not only is he beauties and has an awesome personality but he's a life. I feel like if I give him back (which the pet store will say since he has a 14 day guarantee) that he'll definitely die. Thanks again guys, I'll let you know how he does.

Grif, he was in coconut fiber. I've read that mealworms aren't good for them. Could that be it? I can't say for sure that he ate them since his tank didn't have any food in it but I did see mealworms in pretty much every tank they had.
    That very well could be the problem if they Fed him primarily Superworms and Mealworms. They are high risk feeders for frogs and can cause an impaction because the chitin their exoskeleton is made from is not digestible.

Nationality
    [Canada]

he is a very beautiful froggy, and I'm sending healing vibes your way hoping you find a good vet and he gets better.

Thread Information