Thread: Help identifying a froglet

sadlovedgirl

Default Help identifying a froglet

Hello, looking for some help identifying what kind of froglet this my be. My guess is a grey tree frog, but my own ws froglet 8 years go so it's kind of hard to remember. Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks, Sadlovedgirl

P.s. It was rescued from a weed wacker in South Western Ontario, Canada
    Attached Images Attached Images       

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Help identifying a froglet

It's not a tree frog, note the lack of sticky toe pads and the slimy skin. It looks like a Green Frog, Lithobates clamitans melanota. A Mink frog would be another possibility, they look similar but aren't as common.

Rae

I have to agree, definitely not a grey...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm thinking that could be a Leopard or a Pickerel frog (though I'm not familiar with the regions of those two). He's very cute though, and like Rae said, definitely NOT a gray tree frog. He's too skinny and his eyes are too big. :P
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyM View Post
    I'm thinking that could be a Leopard or a Pickerel frog (though I'm not familiar with the regions of those two).
    Both Leopard and Pickerel frogs are in the area, but their spots have light edges around them and are generally larger. Their dorsolateral folds are also typically lighter in colour than their body. Pickerels are also tan or brownish in colour.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    Both Leopard and Pickerel frogs are in the area, but their spots have light edges around them and are generally larger. Their dorsolateral folds are also typically lighter in colour than their body. Pickerels are also tan or brownish in colour.

That's adults though right? He has the same eye shape, facial markings and leg stripes as a Pickerel. I caught a pickerel (it made that weird snoring sound) and it was so dark it looked black.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial....425.319.1.gif

He could also be some sort of bullfrog.
    http://www.frog-life-cycle.com/graph...tadpoles-l.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vwZLbm4Jry...bullfrog_1.jpg
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

That's adults though right? He has the same eye shape, facial markings and leg stripes as a Pickerel. I caught a pickerel (it made that weird snoring sound) and it was so dark it looked black.
    Pickerels can be dark, but the don't come in green. The dorso-lateral ridge would go all the way down the back, and it wouldn't have the green under the eye going to the nose. A pickerel also has larger generally squarish spots and yellow/orange flash markings on the inner thighs that don't seem to be visible here.

I'm not sure if this was supposed to be a picture of a Pickerel, but it's a Leopard frog?

He could also be some sort of bullfrog.
    The fact this guy has a partial dorso-lateral ridges one rules out bullfrog as they don't have a visible ridge at all.

sadlovedgirl

Hi Everyone, I think the mystery is solved... I believe this little one is a green frog ( Lithobates Clamitans Melanota). I'm thinking I will raise it over the winter and then release it into one of my ponds this spring. Does anyone know where to get or order flightless fruitflies in Ontario, Canada? No luck locally, not even pinhead crickets : ( Never had difficulty in Toronto but no luck here.. What else can I try? I can get small crickets..and pick out the smallest ones, wax, butter, meal worms..earthworms possibly but other than that I'm at loss. I don't know how hard it is to ship fruit flies from USA to Canada...I know it can be tricky with plants/animals. Any ides?

sadlovedgirl

These are the photos I found online... Have to say I do believe it's a green frog (Lithobates Clamitans Melanota) Also the photo Ashley posted of the green frog as a juvenile looks dead on. Thanks everyone for your help. Now if I can fatten this little cutie up a bit...
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Rae

not sure where you are in ontario but you mentioned Toronto so I thought I might ask... if you are near Barrie I know a place that sells both flightless fruit flies and pinheads

Thread Information