Thread: Farm breeds Sea Turtles for food & conservation; accident kills 299; Your thoughts appreciate

findiviglio

Default Farm breeds Sea Turtles for food & conservation; accident kills 299; Your thoughts appreciate

Hi All,

An accident that caused the deaths of 299 endangered Green Turtles at the Cayman Turtle Farm has raised concerns about the facility’s operation. The incident brought other issues to my mind as well. I was first inspired by the legendary herpetologist Archie Carr, and have since been involved in several field studies of Green, Leatherback and other marine turtles (please see article below). I see the value in organizations such as Cayman Turtle Farm, which raises turtles for the food market while also racking up important “firsts” in breeding and research. However, many disagree with me. Can conservation and the meat trade co-exist? What’s your opinion? Any comments you may wish to post below would be much appreciated. Read article here: Green Sea Turtles Die on Farm - Do Meat-Trade Turtles Aid Conservation? | That Reptile Blog

Comments and questions appreciated. As I do not place notices here each time I post a new article on That Reptile Blog, you may wish to check in periodically or subscribe; you can do so here That Reptile Blog. Please also check out my posts on Twitter Twitter.

Thanks, Frank
    My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog
    Face Book http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thread Information