Thread: New member, great site.

Nevin

Smile New member, great site.

Well as the post title reads I am a new member to the forum this being my first post. I have been doing a lot of research to find what is going to be my next project pet wise, and I have found that frogs have caught my eye. I am unsure of what type of frogs I want specifically yet. I am looking into something that is semi-aquatic, and works well with cage mates, as I have a 100 gallon tank that my turtles moved out of to their out door enclosure.

As of now, I am just getting a full scale view of the project and what is needed.

At the moment I have:
    - 100 Gal tank
    - Canister filter rated for 350gph
    - Gravel/sand substant
    - CocoCoir
    - Driftwood
    - Waterfall filter (Small)
    - Daytime/nighttime lights + Basking lights (if needed)

From what I have been reading what I will need is:
    - Hydroton or Eggcrate for bottom
    - A type of separator for the substrate and the hydroton
    - Decorations
    - Fogger
    - Plants

Anything else that I need to add to the list before I start this project would be greatly appreciated.

As for other pets, a Brazilian rainbow boa, 4 Eastern Box turtles, 1 RES, 1 Yellow-Bellied Cooter, 1 pinstripe Ball, and 1 dog. Sounds like a lot but it really isn't. All the turtles are in an outdoor enclosure, with a 235 gallon pond. Look forward to browsing the forums more and talking with everyone.

ToadPaparazzi

I always recommend to know what type of pet you're going to get prior to building an enclosure... Makes things much easier in the long run...

Nevin

Default Re: New member, great site.

Quote Originally Posted by ToadPaparazzi View Post
    I always recommend to know what type of pet you're going to get prior to building an enclosure... Makes things much easier in the long run...
    Haven't started building it yet, I know I want a few frogs... I am looking at either African clawed frog or Fire-bellied Toads... I am leaning to the Fire-bellied at the moment as I am reading they are extremely active.

If you are going for a 100g paludarium, then i would go for fire bellies. But research a bunch of different species and then build to suit. Which version of 100g is it? 48"?
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Benedicta

Hmmmr how about lighting for your setup ???
    The right type...i still have problems with lighting that is good for the plants :\
    we dont get good choices here

Quote Originally Posted by Benedicta View Post
    Hmmmr how about lighting for your setup ???
    The right type...i still have problems with lighting that is good for the plants :\
    we dont get good choices here
    Are you in a smaller town of malaysia? I know for a fact that t5ho lighting is available there. I know a few planted tank guys from kuala lumpur that run them with 6500k bulbs.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nevin

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    If you are going for a 100g paludarium, then i would go for fire bellies. But research a bunch of different species and then build to suit. Which version of 100g is it? 48"?
    Sorry for the late reply. Also, sadly no =(, it is a normal 24" x 48" aquarium, rectangular. I am still doing reading to see what species would do best in this type of tank, the top would be a screen top. It looks like many of the tree frogs or White's tree frog would do well. (Correct me if I am wrong)

Frogs are a new thing to me, so it will be a learning experience.

Aaron Boswell

Welcome to the forum Nevin, I've just got 4 fire bellied toads in my 20g and they are really cool toads very active, very friendly towards each other (after owning Crayfish for years this is a relief) My setup is a eggcrate false floor island, Grouted Foam Background and about 4 - 5" water pool with a filter sending it thru a waterfall built into the background. When I was doing research I found alot of people saying they do best in water they can touch the bottom and still stick there head out of and they also need some kind of ramp/steps to get in and out of the water. With your size tank u could comfortably house quite a few toads and make some nice features for them.

Nevin

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Boswell View Post
    Welcome to the forum Nevin, I've just got 4 fire bellied toads in my 20g and they are really cool toads very active, very friendly towards each other (after owning Crayfish for years this is a relief) My setup is a eggcrate false floor island, Grouted Foam Background and about 4 - 5" water pool with a filter sending it thru a waterfall built into the background. When I was doing research I found alot of people saying they do best in water they can touch the bottom and still stick there head out of and they also need some kind of ramp/steps to get in and out of the water. With your size tank u could comfortably house quite a few toads and make some nice features for them.
    Thank you for the reply, and that was what I was hoping to hear... I want something that will look good, make the frogs feel comfortable, and give them a suitable living environment. I am hoping having a bit of a larger tank will make them feel more "at home" I guess you can say.

Thread Information