Thread: Pacman food

DorkiTimmy

Default Pacman food

Hey guys I was wondering how easy is it to breed dubia roaches and do they smell I was planning to breed some for my pacman frog cause crickets smells like **** lol but yea leave some comments and tip font worry I know crickets are their main food source or am I wrong can dubia roaches replace it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman food

Roaches are much better then crickets as a staple for pacmans. I feed all my frogs dubia from my own colony. They are super easy to breed. If you set them up they'll breed prolifically. My colony sure has and I started off with 150 nymphs and maybe a pair or two of adults. If you're interested...I can hook you up on some to get you started for a fair price. I'll be mailing some off to NatureLady on here.

DorkiTimmy

For how much and size so I did my research but to make sure keep them in tank or container with holes for air add egg boxes add veggies carrot apple etc and it should happen separate the parents and babies? Oh yea I'm in California near where mikes frog live

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DorkiTimmy View Post
    For how much and size so I did my research but to make sure keep them in tank or container with holes for air add egg boxes add veggies carrot apple etc and it should happen separate the parents and babies? Oh yea I'm in California near where mikes frog live
    Depends on what size and how much you want. I have every size you could want. I'm on the East coast, but shipping still isn't a problem unless you'd rather get some from a closer source, then that's understandable. I wouldn't use an aquarium. I would go with just a plastic storage tote of some sort. I use one. The lid has the top cut out and window mesh hot glued on top for ventilation with cardboard eggcrate in it for the roaches to climb/hide on then two bowls one for water crystals and one for whatever food item(s) I feed them. You don't have to separate the adults from the babies, but you can to make it easier if you want to choose easily for a certain size.

DorkiTimmy

Oh I just want enough to start of with and breed how much are babies and how much are adult and for how many and shipping ?

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh I just want enough to start of with and breed how much are babies and how much are adult and for how many and shipping ?
    I'll send you a PM.

lumpbump

Go to buydubiaroaches.com to find prices. This is where I get mine

DorkiTimmy

But i was wondering guys how hard is it to breed dubia roaches? 2nd what temperature do they have to be in like do i have to need heating or misting it im not sure on that? 3rd how many should i start with does 3male 6 female sound decent or more im not planning to breed 100+ i only have 2 pacman frogs and 1 baby bearded dragon at the moment.

lumpbump

But i was wondering guys how hard is it to breed dubia roaches? 2nd what temperature do they have to be in like do i have to need heating or misting it im not sure on that? 3rd how many should i start with does 3male 6 female sound decent or more im not planning to breed 100+ i only have 2 pacman frogs and 1 baby bearded dragon at the moment.
    Hardest part is not feeding heavily before the colony is established. My one frog can eat one large nymph every night nearing maturity. That's roughly 30 feeders which each would take a few months to get to that size. I also feed a tarrantula. I'm still in the process of getting my colony going good but I estimate I want 20 or so adult females and a handful of males to keep the colony strong. I just ordered 100 medium and 50 large cause the last 100 medium I got just doesn't seem like it will hold out till more of the tiny nymphs grow. They really take months to grow to adults. High temps in the 90s will make them grow and breed faster. Also high humidity. 60 percent and up should work. Not too much humidity as would cause mold which can kill a colony. Feed em, water em with water crystals or fresh oranges and leave em in the dark. They will breed. Its what they do. Eat, poop, grow, breed, then die. Boys die sooner than girls which can live for a couple years I think.
    Last edited by lumpbump; September 24th, 2012 at 11:32 PM. Reason: more info

imyourscar

Quote Originally Posted by lumpbump View Post
    Hardest part is not feeding heavily before the colony is established.
    ^ This. I gradually accumulated a colony, but it was sure hard to not feed off subadults that would become the next gen of breeder adults. Last count I had 11 males and about 20 females. Not a bad ratio! You want at least 2:1 females to males, but I think 3:1 would give you something more prolific. I still buy an occasional batch of large nymphs to feed off (I have 15 geckos, a pacman, and a blue tongued skink that eat the dubia) because I have too many roach eaters that would eat my whole colony if they could.

I bought one of those file storage boxes from Target that has the latchable lid (I have dropped a box of dubia before; thankfully they didn't break free!) and modified it for airflow and heat. I cut out a large square in the top side about 4x5 inches, hot-glued a piece of window screen, and then made a series of tiny holes in the lid for ventilation. They need ventilation so they don't get trapped with *too much* humidity; they like it humid, but not to the point where you'll need to spray them (they should get enough humidity from their food and water crystals). I put in my old egg cartons cut in half and switch them out about every two weeks. I feed them mostly left-over crested gecko diet, but when I don't have much left over, I put in some fruit, or when I am really in a pinch I put some dry cereal or grains and give them water crystals. They'll eat almost anything; I use them as my garbage disposal/compost. (Don't feed them moldy **** though; that's a practically guaranteed way of killing them off.) I tried not giving them supplemental heat, but they didn't breed. I attached a small 4x4 UTH under the box and I am seeing nymphs like crazy! They're really taking off ^_^

Dubia are really easy to raise, but they do require *some* maintenance. My least favorite job is sifting the tiny nymphs out of the poop when it's bin cleaning day. I don't clean nearly as often as I should–I maybe do it once a month–but it's probably better to do it every two weeks. Pretty much make sure they have food and a water source that isn't water (they WILL drown themselves), and that they aren't wallowing in their own **** too long and you're done!

Nationality
    [United States]

Dubia are extremely easy to breed. Keep them warm & well fed and they will breed indefinitely. Something in oranges makes them breed faster - not really sure what it is, but that's what I've heard.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by toxxxickitten View Post
    Dubia are extremely easy to breed. Keep them warm & well fed and they will breed indefinitely. Something in oranges makes them breed faster - not really sure what it is, but that's what I've heard.
    Apples are great for getting them to breed too. I use Red Delicious and they exploded in population. Strawberries too.

imyourscar

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Apples are great for getting them to breed too. I use Red Delicious and they exploded in population. Strawberries too.
    My dubia are stupid. I totally cut up an apple for them and they refused to eat it. I took out the seeds and everything. They ended up eating cardboard until I noticed and replaced the food

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by imyourscar View Post
    My dubia are stupid. I totally cut up an apple for them and they refused to eat it. I took out the seeds and everything. They ended up eating cardboard until I noticed and replaced the food
    Not stupid, could have been something wrong with the Apple that they could detect but you couldn't. Mine sound like a crowd of people munching apples when I put them in the culture. They swarm the Apple chunks like they're starved.

imyourscar

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Not stupid, could have been something wrong with the Apple that they could detect but you couldn't. Mine sound like a crowd of people munching apples when I put them in the culture. They swarm the Apple chunks like they're starved.
    Must try again. I used an awesome, organic, worm-free gala apple from my back yard; maybe they'll go for the grannies or the gravensteins. But so far they realllly like the CGD. I put it in there and they swam like animals at a watering hole. It's actually really cute seeing their faces around a dish of brown mush

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by imyourscar View Post
    Must try again. I used an awesome, organic, worm-free gala apple from my back yard; maybe they'll go for the grannies or the gravensteins. But so far they realllly like the CGD. I put it in there and they swam like animals at a watering hole. It's actually really cute seeing their faces around a dish of brown mush
    Lol!! Ill bet. They kind of act like dogs when I give them strawberries. I see them grab a piece then run and hide. It cracks me up when I offer apples because you can literally hear them crunching and munching.

DorkiTimmy

Haha thanks guys for the tip dont worry at the moment i have 1 baby pacman 1 sub adult pacman and 1 baby bearded dragon feeding on 500 crickets and also 200mealworms for the bearded dragon so yea i just want to start a colony right now without feeding any dubia roaches away should i buy 50 small dubia for 6 bucks to breed with cause i have time or start with 25 adult for 9 bucks? so all i have to do its keep them warm mist them a little have egg boxes in them and feed them apple carrot orange banana lettuce?

imyourscar

Haha thanks guys for the tip dont worry at the moment i have 1 baby pacman 1 sub adult pacman and 1 baby bearded dragon feeding on 500 crickets and also 200mealworms for the bearded dragon so yea i just want to start a colony right now without feeding any dubia roaches away should i buy 50 small dubia for 6 bucks to breed with cause i have time or start with 25 adult for 9 bucks? so all i have to do its keep them warm mist them a little have egg boxes in them and feed them apple carrot orange banana lettuce?
    You can feed soooo many things to dubia; another standby I have for them are beardie bites. I would stay away from watering them as they'll probably get enough humidity with the fruit in there and the water crystals; too much humidity can do more hard than good.

If I understand you correctly, I suggest you buy those adults and see how they fare breeding, and also buy some size-appropriate nymphs for the beardies and pacman.

lumpbump

If you buy small nymphs be ready to not have adults for 3 or 4 months. Buy some medium or large to cut down on time it takes for them to reach sexual maturity. Their gestation is like 30 days so your a month down the line if you have adults straight away. 3 to 4 to even 5 or 6 months before your making new baby dubia if you buy small
    Last edited by lumpbump; September 26th, 2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: more info

Thread Information