Thread: My frog has had a lost in appetite for the last 2 weeks.

KINGblackPHINEX

Default My frog has had a lost in appetite for the last 2 weeks.

my pacman frog has had a lost in appetite lately last time i fed him i gave him 2 crickets dusted but i had to use a butter knife and gently make it were he would open his mouth and he spit them out but i kept trying and he ate them eventually im afraid he is going to die or something ill put crickets in with him and they walk in front of him and everything and he is turning away i just even tried giving him a pinky wich he absolutely loves but he showd no interest in even wanting it im begining to think he is sick or something but he is appearing to look normal and does not seem like he lost any weight any suggestions on what i can do to get him eating again or any easy methods of force feeding him?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My frog has had a lost in appetite for the last 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGblackPHINEX View Post
    my pacman frog has had a lost in appetite lately last time i fed him i gave him 2 crickets dusted but i had to use a butter knife and gently make it were he would open his mouth and he spit them out but i kept trying and he ate them eventually im afraid he is going to die or something ill put crickets in with him and they walk in front of him and everything and he is turning away i just even tried giving him a pinky wich he absolutely loves but he showd no interest in even wanting it im begining to think he is sick or something but he is appearing to look normal and does not seem like he lost any weight any suggestions on what i can do to get him eating again or any easy methods of force feeding him?
    Has anything changed lately? Any serious climate fluctuations within the enclosure? Post pics of your frog and its home.

KINGblackPHINEX

No nothing has changed and he ate the pinky it's like he is showing no interests in the food but when i open his mouth and put it in there he slips it the rest of the way into his mouth and swallows it, it's like he is not showing interest's in the food at all he will just turn away..

KINGblackPHINEX

Name:  100_0320[1].jpg
Views: 268
Size:  90.7 KBName:  100_0321[1].jpg
Views: 240
Size:  62.9 KB Its a very basic cage and I took a quick picture but here it is...

Nationality
    [United States]

What kind of live plantsthose?

KINGblackPHINEX

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    What kind of live plantsthose?
    They aren't alive they are actually fake plants.. Sorry about the water being kind of dirty i switched it out right after i took the picture.

Nationality
    [United States]

They aren't alive they are actually fake plants.. Sorry about the water being kind of dirty i switched it out right after i took the picture.
    Well I might know what's going on. His has the weather been over in Indiana lately?? Becoming to cool down and if you're using a well lit room and only the natural sunlight as the day/night cycle then your frog may have noticed the daylight beginning to become shorter every day and thus it could be preparing to sleep, but that's just my guess. Also if you're noticing any drop in temps at night in the frog's enclosure below 76° every night will also follow the cycle don't drop below 78° at night keep a steady 82° during the day and humidity high. Hopefully the frog will come around. Have you tried night crawlers?

KINGblackPHINEX

yes i have tried them and for some reason he hates them he spits those out no matter what i dk he is a weird charecter.. So how could i help him not notice the light should i like turn a light on in my room and leave it on for 12 hours or what because i want him to be out of this and im trying to feed him now and he keeps jumping into the side of the bucket for no reason and looking up showing no interest in the crickets.... He's is acting very weird lately the only way i got him to eat was by force feeding him that pinky how long can he go without eating after i fed him that? So i should probably get a light bulb to provide a daynight cycle to? because i honestly never have had one for him and he has been fine..

Nationality
    [United States]

yes i have tried them and for some reason he hates them he spits those out no matter what i dk he is a weird charecter.. So how could i help him not notice the light should i like turn a light on in my room and leave it on for 12 hours or what because i want him to be out of this and im trying to feed him now and he keeps jumping into the side of the bucket for no reason and looking up showing no interest in the crickets.... He's is acting very weird lately the only way i got him to eat was by force feeding him that pinky how long can he go without eating after i fed him that? So i should probably get a light bulb to provide a daynight cycle to? because i honestly never have had one for him and he has been fine..
    Being an Albino you won't be able to use any daylight/spotlight bulbs in his heat lamp if you have one for risk of harm to the frog. You could leave a light on for 12 hours and have it on a timer to come on and off at the same time everyday. Are you removing him from his enclosure to feed? If so don't and feed him in his home where he feels secure.

Give this a try. He can go nearly a week on a pinky maybe less depending on his metabolism.

KINGblackPHINEX

Being an Albino you won't be able to use any daylight/spotlight bulbs in his heat lamp if you have one for risk of harm to the frog. You could leave a light on for 12 hours and have it on a timer to come on and off at the same time everyday. Are you removing him from his enclosure to feed? If so don't and feed him in his home where he feels secure.

Give this a try. He can go nearly a week on a pinky maybe less depending on his metabolism.
    Honestly i do not like leaving him in his cage to feed but i will try the only reason is because he is such a clumsy eater he will go to eat miss and eat a mouth full of the soil i will try this and hopefully he will eat. Do you think it would be okay to leave like 1 or 2 crickets in there overnight so maybe he warms up to the idea of eating or what? because i honestly am getting worried and don't want something bad to happen to him. Also if he goes to sleep how can i wake him up,? do i just place him in his water dish and hopefully he awakes?

Nationality
    [United States]

You can leave crickets in over night, but remove them in the morning. If he goes down to aestivate you'll need to give him a long warm de-chlorinated soak and warm his enclosure up a little more. Keeping temps 80° and maintained that way as well as high humidity will prevent his slumber.

KINGblackPHINEX

You can leave crickets in over night, but remove them in the morning. If he goes down to aestivate you'll need to give him a long warm de-chlorinated soak and warm his enclosure up a little more. Keeping temps 80° and maintained that way as well as high humidity will prevent his slumber.
    well considering i get a 40 watt lightbulb only keeps the tank at around 75degree's what wattage should i get then?

Nationality
    [United States]

well considering i get a 40 watt lightbulb only keeps the tank at around 75degree's what wattage should i get then?
    Do you have a UTH on the side of the tank as well?? Using both a UTH on the side of the tank and a heat lamp will solve the problem.

KINGblackPHINEX

Do you have a UTH on the side of the tank as well?? Using both a UTH on the side of the tank and a heat lamp will solve the problem.

no how much does one cost? and how many watts should it be?

Nationality
    [United States]

no how much does one cost? and how many watts should it be?
    Zoo Med makes some decent UTHs. They make them in tank sizes like 10-20 gallon and so on. They're usually $20.00 and up.

KINGblackPHINEX

Zoo Med makes some decent UTHs. They make them in tank sizes like 10-20 gallon and so on. They're usually $20.00 and up.
    alright thanks ill see if they have them at my local exotic pet store if they don't well then... guess im stuck trying to hold the temps in with ceran wrap lol :P

Kira Hudson

ebay or amazon have them king for around 20 with shipping just make sure you buy new no used and they usaly fine

KINGblackPHINEX

Quote Originally Posted by Kira Hudson View Post
    ebay or amazon have them king for around 20 with shipping just make sure you buy new no used and they usaly fine
    only if it were that easy i dont have a job to pay for the shipping and etc... and i dont have a credit card and my mom or dad will definantly not let me use it there really sceptical about that kind of stuff and putting there credit card numbers on the internet i dk just guess there old fashion :P

Thread Information