Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Cornuta Calling Video

GeorgiaBulls

Default The Cornuta Calling Video

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    Can anyone tell me what this black substrate is?
    Love this video but I'm always curious when I watch it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Namio

Default Re: The Cornuta Calling Video

It's a foam substrate.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Its a filter foam that is used for fish tank filters. I've been trying to find it in bulk but I can't. Its much better than substrate.

GeorgiaBulls

Mike, what are the benefits?

infamouschris7

In what way is that a better substrate?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It does not allow the frog to sit in urine or feces.

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

infamouschris7

Makes sense. Is it a certain type of foam? Where can you get it?

Kira Hudson

hey are few places mike Bulk Filter Media, Matala, Poly Flo, Pond USA .com, Pond, Fountain & Water Garden Supplies and Trim-To-Fit Filters - Filters - Grainger Industrial Supply i know the secound one says hvac but i cut the black one down and use in my hob fliters it works great i have to buy bulk i have 10+ fish tanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfrogs View Post
    It does not allow the frog to sit in urine or feces.
    it also does not allow the frogs to follow their natural needs like dig and hide.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

As a breeder with 120 plus frogs its too costly to change out bedding every week. If you have only a few frogs keep them the natural way. Keeping them on the foam cuts down my cleaning time by 8 hours a week.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thank you kira! That's what I was looking for =)

As a breeder with 120 plus frogs its too costly to change out bedding every week. If you have only a few frogs keep them the natural way. Keeping them on the foam cuts down my cleaning time by 8 hours a week.
    I don't want to start a long and probably very hot and/or emotional discussion, so that's my last comment in this thread to this: does money and time justify everything?

It remembers me at chicken farms:

...do they look happy?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The foam is the cleanest and only safe substrate that you can use. The coco fiber and other products are not guarenteed to be 100% safe. I bought a bag of peat moss the other day and a fence lizard baby was in the bag alive. The filters can be washed and used again.

As far as the happiness that depends really on the animals health. We may think they are happy or not but we will never really know. We can't ask them.

Nationality
    [United States]

A few breeders use this Filter Medium as substrate with great success. As for asking if they're happy, well a Pacman that stops eating, looks ill and listless is a sure sign of an unhappy frog. Stress is what mainly causes their unhappiness. Pacman Frogs are EXTREMELY susceptible to Toxing Out Syndrome caused by either chemicals in their water, stagnant right water, or their own waste. Ammonia buildup in water as well as other substrates from the lack of cleaning. This is why Eco Earth must be changed no less than once a month with some exception to an enclosure with a drainage layer. Even in a self sufficient Vivarium these particular species do not do well because the isopods, plants, etc cannot break down all the urine and feces made by the frog and thus bacteria, fungus, and ammonia begin to buildup in the enclosure which in turn can kill the frog.

This is not at all an uncommon substrate to be used and is perfectly fine for those who do not have time to clean over 100 frogs like Mike. There are a few other ease of cleaning substrate alternatives too. Most work fine and absolutely no substrate is 100% safe. There could be anything in or on whatever substrate you choose. Accidents happen and it could be very well possible to get some of this filter medium that's been contaminated and thus poisoning the frog. There is no way to know for sure. Is it unlikely? Yes, but can happen in what could be considered the best and safest substrate out there.

Comparing this substrate to chicken farm cages is a little over the top. I understand what you're saying, but it is not the same. When born in captivity the become accustomed to however you house them whether it be on dirt simulated substrates or just a foam rubber. Its when you suddenly change their environment that they become unhappy or stressed. Yes they live to burrow and it is instinctualy programmed into their brain, but they are also able to adapt which is also and instinct that nearly all CB frogs utilize.

Keep that in mind before saying that its not a healthy HAPPY way to keep the frog.

Kira Hudson

i am glad to help mike i love the pac mans

IvoryReptiles

earthtiger..........come visit our frogs and see how healthy & happy they are..........I would pit them against anyone's frogs in that regard. We also use the filter foam as a substrate and mike is absolutely correct in that it elevates the frogs so that they are not sitting in their own waste absorbing toxins. And sorry, but when you have over 50 breeders & holdbacks, yes money IS a concern. The frogs are fed very well and kept clean. There is ZERO chance of impactions. You don't like it, by all means avoid it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Ivory glad you posted. It reminded me to ask you... Can you take a pic of the chin or tell me if your baby cornuta have solid dark chins or if they have not darkened yet at their size. I have two greens that look exactly like the solid green cornutas I've seen. Not sure if they are fantasys or not.

GeorgiaBulls

Ivory glad you posted. It reminded me to ask you... Can you take a pic of the chin or tell me if your baby cornuta have solid dark chins or if they have not darkened yet at their size. I have two greens that look exactly like the solid green cornutas I've seen. Not sure if they are fantasys or not.
    Mike- My new baby cornuta has a solid black throat.. Hope this helps.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Is it a few inches long? I'm trying to find out if quarter size ones have dark throats.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

The guy at Nuance uses a filter media wool, a similar product is Big ALs filter floss, which works well. Furniture foam like they sell at craft stores work, generally foams are expensive.
    The black foam we see here is the same stuff used as "bio foam" that is used in most filter systems, its pretty widely available but hard to find in bulk, its also available at Big Als. Big Al also has a water conditioner that comes in 64oz jugs for $13.99, a better deal than Prime.

As far as whether its humane for the frogs or whatever, you can make the same argument about keeping them in terrariums no matter what substrate is used. Typically it is being in contact with substrate that makes them feel secure. Providing a hide, suspending fake plants from above they can hide etc are all options that may make a frog feel secure. One of the great things about Pacman frogs is that they are one species of anuran that does not become stressed if kept on a bare bottom or foam bottom enclosure.

Comparing them to caged chickens is ridiculous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information