Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Captive reared frogs released back to wild

deeishealthy

Default Re: Captive reared frogs released back to wild

You are doing a good thing. The world needs more frogs!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

LoLzMachine531

lolz yeah i know my name is weird it is one of my gamer tags my names cody bummer about the photos would love to see the grass frog tads make sure to take lots of pictures ^^
    sadly i have to wait till spring/summer all the creeks and other bodys of water are under 3 feet of snow ill make sure to track their growth and take plenty of pictures
    thanks friend, I wish you the best of the new year!

-Cody

BugBoy99

Thank you Cody, and Deeishealthy.

I'm sure that I quite understand how you must feel, Cody. It doesn't snow here, but I nearly go stir-crazy when we have our month, or so, of winter every year. No frogs, no insects, no reptiles. What's a bloke supposed to do when everything is hiding away from the cold? I have taken some photos of the Grass Frog tads, will take some more later, and I will post them when they are all grown up. I was blessed enough to find some frog eggs, after we had a huge rain storm. Some of the tadpoles that hatched are about 2mm long!

DeeisHealthy, I agree wholeheartedly. From what I hear, our town was once covered in myriads of little streams. But, with so many of them being dried up for construction, the frogs need all the help that they can get! I'm sure that any true frog-lover would do what they can to give them a hand.

JV

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I do something similar. I have a pond and my aunt across the road has an even bigger pond. But sometimes the frogs are dumb and lay their eggs in mud puddles that will dry up within a day during the hot summer. So I go out with a bucket and collect the eggs and put them in mine or my aunts pond. I have even raised a few inside just to watch the tadpoles morph. It's really fun. I then release them shortly after morphing because all those tiny hungry froglets are hard to feed. Most of the frogs around here lay thousands of eggs. I'd go broke trying to feed them all lol.

My pond has no fish so it's easy to over populate. I usually put the eggs or froglets in my aunts pond because it has fish. It may seem cruel but it's a part of their natural life. I don't want to over populate. I put wood frogs (babies of course since they are terrestrial) in my pond though because I rarely ever see them. They are supposed to be common but I very rarely ever see them.

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I put wood frogs (babies of course since they are terrestrial) in my pond though because I rarely ever see them. They are supposed to be common but I very rarely ever see them.

Here in Vancouver, Wood frogs are or were supposed to be common, but I've never seen one due to our massive American Bullfrog and Green frog infestation. I've not even seen a Red legged frog either, even though I've lived in Vancouver for all of of my life. And talking about Pacific/Boreal Chorus frogs is like talking about Bigfoot. Only one person I know has seen one. It's a shame. However, I have spotted a yellow/albino Bullfrog.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I was very lucky to find 3 adults and a juvenile wood frog this past summer/fall. I kept an adult male and the juvenile female (she is much bigger now still no calling so I believe female). I hope that they will breed. Every year I find a few people asking around for wood frogs. If mine will breed hopefully less will be taken from the wild.

I've read that wood frogs do bad in captivity that they never become used to it and are very high stress frogs. But mine have been fine since day one. They eat like little pigs. They know when it's feeding time and will come out as soon as I open the lid to their tank. They act a lot like my toads.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Don't mean to hijack the thread. But wanted to show off my wood frogs.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Captive reared frogs released back to wild

Psychotic, your frogs are beautiful! Btw, did you know some of your photos and posts are featured one The Reptile Report? It's an online website. Scroll through the amphibian section .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Psychotic, your frogs are beautiful! Btw, did you know some of your photos and posts are featured one The Reptile Report? It's an online website. Scroll through the amphibian section .
    That's pretty neat. I didn't know lol. I get the reptile report on facebook.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Captive reared frogs released back to wild

Lol! I didn't know either until I googled some species and found my own photos. When I clicked on the link it took me there. I read a bunch of them. We have quite a few members photos and posts linked into it . Kinda nice .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information