Thread: good news and maybe some bad news :(

pacman90

Default good news and maybe some bad news :(

good news first my new Pacman has finally ate for me, he ate a full size earthworm, i bought him 6days ago and he finally ate. Still a little skiddish when i go near the cage and is buried 90% of the time still, he wouldnt eat it from the tongs tho i had to place it a few inches from him and it crawled to him. Now the potentionally bad news or could be normal idk, but after he ate wen he was in the process of eating it looked like he sucked his sides in, thy like sunk in and you could see his back bones, im thinking he is losing weight . He has pooped twice tho since i got him, but as he stands up like hes gunna hop away his sides were'nt filled out and were sunken into his body. Im scared on that part cuz i just got him and dont kno when he last ate at the store :/. Hopefully he'll re-gain his appetite. Humidity stays at 80+% now thnx to the new tank he's in and the temp is a constant 80 with and w/out the light on.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

pacman90

Default Re: good news and maybe some bad news :(

oh and my Eastern American Toad and Fowler both ate 2 quarters of an earthworm each, they ate it right off of a paper plate i put in their cage so the pieces wouldnt burrow, now theyre all hyper lol

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That's good that he ate for you! Some of them take up to a week to adjust to new surroundings. Some will take from tongs right away and others take weeks before they will accept food from tongs. It varies from frog to frog. Offer food every night. Try offering a variety and see what fits his fancy. Other than feeding and cleaning, leave him alone as much as possible. If he gets stressed he will most likely stop eating.

He likely does need some fattening up! Unfortunately what the people selling them tell you isn't always true. Like you said, you have no way of knowing for sure how long he went without eating. Pacs do suck in their sides when they swallow. It gives them a hollowed out look. Also remember that most of their body weight is water so after urinating they sometimes appear "deflated" a little. Keep a close eye on him. Keep his temps up and consistent. Heat helps stimulate their appetite. Let us know how he is doing!

Glad to hear your toads are doing well!

pacman90

thanx i just peek at him every few hours, i hear him from downstairs evry night around 2am, he'll let out 3-4 "quacks" lol its funny cuz the toads i have are wild caught lol, but thanx Grif, thanx to the new tank he's in the temps and humidity tend to stay up more

pacman90

would it be safe to use reti-aid this early to help increase his appetite? i dont wanna sit here and wait and wait, and find out he's too weak and wont eat, idk if im just over concerned because hes a new addition to the family, but i just want him to be like all the Pacs i've seen/heard of being little fat-a**es lol by early meaning early in my ownership

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by pacman90 View Post
    would it be safe to use reti-aid this early to help increase his appetite? i dont wanna sit here and wait and wait, and find out he's too weak and wont eat, idk if im just over concerned because hes a new addition to the family, but i just want him to be like all the Pacs i've seen/heard of being little fat-a**es lol by early meaning early in my ownership
    You could try soaking him in a solution of de-chlorinated water and 2 scoops of the Repta-Aid(Repta-Boost) so he soaks some of it up, but try not to stress the little guy too much. Make sure to make a second bath of just de-chlorinated water to rinse off the Repta-Aid(Repta-Boost) to prevent bacterial and fungal growth. Water should be Luke warm and no deeper than up to his chin.

pacman90

ok thanx, i'll give it a few days to see if he changes, i had a nightcrawler in front of him last night for a few hours and left him alone but he just sat there :/ hopefully he's just full and not starving, but he hasnt lost any weight so i think hes still fine

Nationality
    [United States]

ok thanx, i'll give it a few days to see if he changes, i had a nightcrawler in front of him last night for a few hours and left him alone but he just sat there :/ hopefully he's just full and not starving, but he hasnt lost any weight so i think hes still fine
    Pacman Frogs can be tricky when it comes to noticing weight loss. They can hold A LOT of water. A well hydrated Ceratophrys will sometimes look obese so usually after a Luke warm de-chlorinated soak you can tell if there has been any weight loss. They almost always urinate once placed in a Luke warm bath and will release all stored water to hasten their escape(less weight to carry so they can move faster and the urine will taste bad) or to replace the old stored water with new. After they urinate their skin will appear shaggy for a short period of time so after the frog's skin re-fits itself would be a good time to see if there has been any weight loss.

pacman90

Ok, i bought sum Repti-Aid (Boost) it is a small box tho, came with syringe, little measuring cup, and a tiny spoon thing. I soaked him a solution with 2 scoops of the tiny spoon (not sure if those were the scoops you were talking about) for about 1/2 hour or until the water cooled then soaked him in just water for about 1/2 hr or until cool. While he was soaking in the second bin, he shed, but it was just floating in the water he didnt eat it? do they ALWAYS eat it or just a majority of the time? the humidity and temps are constant 80s, sometimes the hum. will go to 90 but the temps stays within 78-82 100% of the time, the only time the humidity drop below 80 is when his light is on (50w moonlight about 1.5'-2' from the substrate) or when the lid is taken off for about 5mins. Still hasn't really eaten anything but 2 nightcrawlers in the 2 weeks i've had him, pooped em both out either same day or the next. he ate em a week apart from each other tho, and it was a waiting game to get him to eat 1 :/ think i might have to try the syringe/solution method of the repti-aid, but i dont wanna stress him out too much. Ima try to get him to eat crickets most likely 2day if i can get some. ill keep posted, hopefully he'll eat for me so i dont stress.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok, i bought sum Repti-Aid (Boost) it is a small box tho, came with syringe, little measuring cup, and a tiny spoon thing. I soaked him a solution with 2 scoops of the tiny spoon (not sure if those were the scoops you were talking about) for about 1/2 hour or until the water cooled then soaked him in just water for about 1/2 hr or until cool. While he was soaking in the second bin, he shed, but it was just floating in the water he didnt eat it? do they ALWAYS eat it or just a majority of the time? the humidity and temps are constant 80s, sometimes the hum. will go to 90 but the temps stays within 78-82 100% of the time, the only time the humidity drop below 80 is when his light is on (50w moonlight about 1.5'-2' from the substrate) or when the lid is taken off for about 5mins. Still hasn't really eaten anything but 2 nightcrawlers in the 2 weeks i've had him, pooped em both out either same day or the next. he ate em a week apart from each other tho, and it was a waiting game to get him to eat 1 :/ think i might have to try the syringe/solution method of the repti-aid, but i dont wanna stress him out too much. Ima try to get him to eat crickets most likely 2day if i can get some. ill keep posted, hopefully he'll eat for me so i dont stress.
    As long as the frog appears plump and doesn't look like its losing weight it should be ok. Force feeding is stressful, but sometimes necessary. Use a plastic spoon flipped upsidedown and insert it between the upper and lower jaw. Usually their mouth will pop right open, but you must be quick and squirt the solution in his mouth. You will need someone to help with the force feeding because its extremely difficult to do this alone. Someone will need to hold the frog for you while you do the force feeding. One dose should be enough per night. It would be best to skip a day between meds so you can try and get the frog to eat on its own.

pacman90

thnx Grif, your very helpful and i greatly appreciate it. Good news hes eating crickets, slowly, but hes eating them, i watched him eat 3 out of 5 that i put in his tank, he wouldnt move to get em so i had to chase the crickets over to him and he would only eat them when they were on his left side, i dont kno if its him being tactical because hes sittin in the back left corner of the tank, and he waits until it gets between him and the glass, then he'd stick em, but he sticks his tongue to the glass lol so thats a sign of relief, i only bought a dozen crix as an experiment. Im also working on cultering nightcrawlers too as an experiment, so i can save money on those.

pacman90

in addition, i went up to check on him and my toad, and he was up hopping around, he left a nice huge poo-poo in the hole he was in, that thing was an award winner lol so i put about 4 more crix in and he was chasin them around the tank and ate em all i think the ones he ate prior gave him a little energy boost, so looks like its time to stock up on crix now that i kno he'll eat em. Is there anyway to keep him from eating the Eco Earth, sadly each time he went for a crick he got a tongue full + the crick, i try to keep it packed down as much as i can but wen he burrows he flings it every where, i kno some1 will suggest moving him into another container but i dont wanna re-stress him out by moving him since i just got him to eat finally, i keep the Eco moist, not sure on how wet it should be, i kno it shouldnt be muddy but thats about all, its wet so the touch but not soaked if that gives you an idea.

Nationality
    [United States]

in addition, i went up to check on him and my toad, and he was up hopping around, he left a nice huge poo-poo in the hole he was in, that thing was an award winner lol so i put about 4 more crix in and he was chasin them around the tank and ate em all i think the ones he ate prior gave him a little energy boost, so looks like its time to stock up on crix now that i kno he'll eat em. Is there anyway to keep him from eating the Eco Earth, sadly each time he went for a crick he got a tongue full + the crick, i try to keep it packed down as much as i can but wen he burrows he flings it every where, i kno some1 will suggest moving him into another container but i dont wanna re-stress him out by moving him since i just got him to eat finally, i keep the Eco moist, not sure on how wet it should be, i kno it shouldnt be muddy but thats about all, its wet so the touch but not soaked if that gives you an idea.
    Packing it down helps some, but you want the substrate to breathe, otherwise fungi and bacteria begin to grow. You could try the tree frog feeding trick. Take a small glass bowel and sink it into the substrate then place the crickets in there. They can't escape the glass bowl and it can make them easy pickings. It would need to be a farely small bowl. The other alternative which is best for aggressive feeders is tong feeding. It takes some time but you can train your frog to eat from tongs. Then it won't get as much if any substrate.

For now just break the hind legs off the crickets to make them easier to catch. This will also cut down on substrate ingestion.

pacman90

ok will do with the legs, and maybe the bowl, theyre a pain for me to catch and he makes it look easy lol i i was breaking the legs off AS i was puttin them in cuz i would grab em by 1 leg with the tongs, i tried hand catching them but they kept gettin out of my hand so i had quickly fling em into the tank. #1 reason i dont like crix, THEY CAN ESCAPE! lolol but thanks again Grif.

Nationality
    [United States]

ok will do with the legs, and maybe the bowl, theyre a pain for me to catch and he makes it look easy lol i i was breaking the legs off AS i was puttin them in cuz i would grab em by 1 leg with the tongs, i tried hand catching them but they kept gettin out of my hand so i had quickly fling em into the tank. #1 reason i dont like crix, THEY CAN ESCAPE! lolol but thanks again Grif.
    You're welcome.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

SOmetimes if you take the food item in a tong, you can gently tap it against their mouths and it will cause them to open up, then you just insert the food item. 90% of the time they will realize its food and gulp it down.

pacman90

Thanks, i've tried that for a few days after i got him and he would just duckdown, burrow more, just turn away, or look at me like im stupid lol, i would like for him to tong feed just have to train him for that.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks, i've tried that for a few days after i got him and he would just duckdown, burrow more, just turn away, or look at me like im stupid lol, i would like for him to tong feed just have to train him for that.
    I train mine by dropping food in the enclosure by the tongs so the frog can see where the food comes from. Usually doesn't take long for them to learn that tongs mean food.

lumpbump

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I train mine by dropping food in the enclosure by the tongs so the frog can see where the food comes from. Usually doesn't take long for them to learn that tongs mean food.
    This is how I got mine to get to taking food from tongs. He was real tiny when I got him, about the size of a quarter, and wouldnt take anything from the tongs; however, i kept presenting his food to him with the tongs and now that hes nearly trippled in size, perhaps size has something to do with comfort/less fear, he snatches the food from the tongs nearly every time in less than 5 seconds. Sometimes i still have to drop the food in front of him for him to get it, but hes kinda got the idea - tongs = food.

Thread Information