Thread: Losing my mind with tank filters

Duriel

Default Losing my mind with tank filters

TLDR: Filter that actually works??? Anyone?

Can anyone suggest a workable filter for a bullfrog tank? Currently using an aquatech filter that takes 10 minutes to finish priming usually. Swapped out 90% of the water as the bullfrogs (5 juvenile size in a 40G breeder with custom elevated land area) tend to make a mess of it. When I refilled and plugged the filter back in it absolutely refused to prime. Over 20 minutes of pouring water into it. Sometimes a steady trickle, sometimes a strong waterfall. The thing has been running for over an hour now casually stirring the water inside it instead of pumping it. It's not making any funny noises, there are no air bubbles. It sounds like it usually does (minus the trickling water, which I attempted to fix with an elaborate plexiglass/pvc return box but apparently plexiglass does NOT like a hole saw). Add this to the frustration of having the same problem on another aquatech straight out of the box and a tetra whisper-whatever that wouldn't even turn on when plugged in. I'm getting tired of returning these things. I have another aquatech unit in the firebellied toad enclosure, but I have a feeling it's going to do the same **** to me when I change their water...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ToadPaparazzi

I would like to see some photos of your vivarium... It could be that too much debris is griping in the filter. There are effective ways to build a water feature that won't allow debris to get to the filter...

Duriel

Default Re: Losing my mind with tank filters

Name:  setup.jpg
Views: 7522
Size:  71.5 KB
    Custom setup in 40G breeder. Box in the upper left was meant to have a hole in it connected to PVC to route the clean water over to the right and dump beneath the water, to give a slight crossflow (also meaning the filter wouldn't suck up freshly cleaned water and to eliminate the noise and splashing, though the frogs don't seem to care. One even lets the water splash down on her head as she floats). Hard to see in the pic, but this plan didn't work as the plexiglass was none too happy with the holesaw bit. Ramp has gravel siliconed to it for traction and is supported by a piece of PVC. The "soil box" is supported by 3 pieces of PVC. Triangular support is very strong, looks neater than 4 posts (to me), and took a bit less time and material Hard to see from this pic, but the water level is about 2cm below (so they can pop their nostrils up to breathe) the bottom of that plexi-box on the right (which is filled with plain old unfertilized soil with some mondo grass planted. They seem to enjoy the natural cover, and it's the only place they will stay put if I come near. Usually there's a mad dash through the water). Still waiting on my order of 1000 <=1/2" dubias. I called and they said they shipped yesterday. I'm not sure how long they can survive in shipping, but I do hope they get here tomorrow so I can stop feeding crickets to my small army of creatures (5 juvie bullfrogs, 2 american toads, 3 ??? common tree frogs, 3 firebellied toads, and a brand new bearded dragon). I'm in love with the idea of putting some small stainless steel bowls in each enclosure with I dont know about 20 roaches and just letting them decide when they want to eat, without worrying about them hiding in ******* places or drowning themselves. Sourcing adult dubias for breeding separately, as I am sure 1000 dubias will go very quickly (mostly thanks to the dragon!)

These are all new/3-4 days old filters. Nothing building up inside yet. They just don't seem to work... That's also why I haven't cut the plexi-top to fit a filter yet, as I keep having issues and they all have different dimensions. Been looking into canister filters, but they are quite expensive. Might just say **** it and buy it anyway. Upside of that is I could just dremel (experimented with a bandsaw, and the plexiglass couldn't take it) a large window into the plexiglass and put some of this aluminum mesh in (for ventilation and for this UVB light to be effective).

A nice perk of running a canister filter would also be I could temporarily move the frogs and construct a second land section (on the left with a separate ramp). Also, I forgot my brain when I bought a heat pad for this setup... it's only 16 watts. I should have known the large quantity of water would disperse the heat so well that the pad feels like it's not even on (tested it pre-water, and it functions). Think I'll just put it on the beardie's tank bottom. The slate tiles should make use of some of my wasted money. Oh and this is Puff (crickets were removed after pic):
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Adam R

i would highly recommend the turtle clean 501 canister filter. its cheap and i love it. i use it for my paludarium and it has a very powerful pump. it would be perfect for your setup and all you need to do is change out the carbon packs. you clean the media and filter with rinse water

Duriel

Nevermind, I said screw it and bit the $70 bullet for a decent canister filter. It's deadly silent. I will remove the "splash box" when I do the first full cleaning, and install another raised land platform on the left side (never see more than 3 frogs in the grass area right now. Might be too crowded). The firebelly tank still has a splashing filter, which I think I will replace with a small in-tank filter (it's a 10G tank with maybe 5 inches of water, and that's after being displaced by a lot of rocks and gravel so it can't be more than 2-3 gallons). In other news, my dragon started eating today. Seems the new home is being accepted.

The reason your hang on back filters aren't effective is because the water level is too low. They need a full(ish) tank to prime and operate properly. It's all in the design. You went the right way with a canister. Either that, or fluval makes some nice internal filters. Their nano filter is awesome and has a built in adjustable spray bar. Just a thought for your other tank.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Adam R

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    The reason your hang on back filters aren't effective is because the water level is too low. They need a full(ish) tank to prime and operate properly. It's all in the design. You went the right way with a canister. Either that, or fluval makes some nice internal filters. Their nano filter is awesome and has a built in adjustable spray bar. Just a thought for your other tank.
    i agree with bill. its good you got a canister filter, the filters that hang on the tank are meant for a tank full of water. the pumps in them are so small and very weak. my canister filter, when primed, pumps the water about 4ft and a height of 26in, and its a small one only meant for a max of 20gal

Thread Information