Thread: Baby White's Food (and other care?)

Stardust369

Default Baby White's Food (and other care?)

Hi!
    I just got two baby white's tree frogs. They are about 1 inch in length. I have had a white's tree frog before, I got her when she was about 3 inches long, and I really missed having a frog. With my new frogs I want to make sure that they have the perfect enclosure, diet, and care.

Food:
    I have been researching what to feed these little guys. At the store they had small crickets, which I am fine with feeding them. Generally what I've seen suggested is 3-4 crickets each, every other day. Is this about right? I don't want to over or under-feed them. I also would like to feed them mealworms or something else that doesn't have a chance of escaping the terrarium.. However, I've read in several places that worms are actually bad for them because they might bite the frog? Could I avoid this problem by cutting them in half before feeding? I've also seen that fruit flies can be a good food for them, but I don't know where to get those, or how to keep them from flying out when I'm trying to get them in there.

Enclosure:
    Right now I have a pretty big enclosure for them. I don't know how many gallons it is, but it is about 1 1/2 feet tall, a foot deep, and 2 feet wide. I have some water in the bottom with a waterfall, and a large bowl (that's meant as a bath) with substrate and moss. I have a small bridge and a ramp made from bark to let them go into the water to bathe. And on the other side I have two large fake leaves and then a fake bush (which they are under allll the time.) I also have a log that goes up to almost the top for them to climb on.
    My questions were, should I have some fake leaves around the substrate too, to encourage them to go there as well? They seem to hang out in the corner with the small bush a lot. I have only had them for one day, so they may be kind of shy. I also have a heating pad, and a heating lamp for the winter when it gets colder. Is there anythign else that I should put in there for them?
    Also, my roommate is obsessed with fish, and she wants me to put tetras in the water. I'm hesitant about this, because I don't want the frogs to eat them and get sick, or something else to happen. Am I right, or are small fish okay?

Other Care:
    With my last frog, I didn't take her out and hold her very much, and she ended up being very shy and would pee on me every time I so much as touched her. I want to be able to get my new frogs used to being touched so that they won't be scared. I got them yesterday, how many days should I give them before taking them out? (I was planning on taking them into the bathroom because it's a small room and there's no places for them to get lost there.) Also, if I do take them out, what is the most I should handle them?

Thanks so much for reading this whole thing and helping! I want to make sure my new frogs have the best life possible. If you have any other general tips for me that would be greatly appreciated!

Renee

p.s. I still need names for them, as well. One is very calm and the other one likes to hop around a lot. I was thinking of Hawaiian names, because my last frog's name was Manoa which is Hawaiian. It would be nice to have complimenting names as well. (:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

LazyEyedFroggie

Default Re: Baby White's Food (and other care?)

Don't worry about overfeeding them at this young age. Feed them as much as they will eat within 15 minutes every one to two days until they're bigger and aren't growing as rapidly. Mealworms usually won't bite, but if you're worried you can cut the heads off before feeding. Use these in moderation as they are more difficult to digest than crickets. If you want to make sure there are no escapees or drowned insects then you can get a Kritter Keeper or similar enclosure for feeding purposes.

You will want to get a slightly bigger enclosure (preferably taller as well) but that can wait until they're about 2-2.5 inches. Fish aren't necessary so just save yourself the trouble. Also, White's Tree Frogs generally stay in one preferred location. They are arboreal frogs, meaning that they like heights a lot better than the ground. Leaves aren't needed but you can add them for decoration.

Frogs aren't incredibly social animals, so I won't suggest holding them for long periods of time. You can pick them up for a few seconds each day, and transport them between their home and feeding cage (if you go with that idea). Make sure you wash and rinse your hands well before holding them. Soaps and oils are harmful to their delicate skin.

Here are some names:
    Hawaiian Names & Meanings | Hawaiian Boy & Girl Names | Baby Names | Parents Connect

Stardust369

Default Re: Baby White's Food (and other care?)

Thanks! I am going to go by the store tomorrow to pick up some more crickets and mealworms. A seperate feeding enclosure is a good idea! I really hate crickets, so I'll have to find a way to feed them that doesn't involve me touching the crickets.
    I don't have room for a bigger enclosure at the moment, but I am saving up for one that is about the same size, just turned sideways so it's taller than it is wide. I wanted to get one to begin with, but my parents bought a bunch of stuff for me as a present and I felt bad selling it to buy a different one because they were really proud of themselves. (: Haha.
    Also thanks for the handling tips! I was told at the reptile store that white's are more handle-able than other tree frogs, and they don't seem to mind me lightly touching them on their backs, so I will just stick to that unless I have to move them.
    Thanks for the names as well, I will look at those!

Thread Information