Thread: Keeping Wild Toads, Eastern American Toad?

pacman90

Default Keeping Wild Toads, Eastern American Toad?

Hello, just wondering what are your opinions on catching and keeping wild toads, I've read the care sheet on toads but im looking for people's opinions, i have them roaming randomly at times around my house and i see them every now and then when we're at our trailer in Delaware. This weekend i found 1 last night, decent size, and a little pudgy, i thought he was cute so i caught him for my son and put him in a storage bin with some of our garden soil and a plant. He's/it's pretty active and hopping around the bin then hiding when i look at him. I believe its an Eastern American Toad, I live in PA and googled "toads in PA" and he *looks* like a E.A.T. ill post some pics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

pacman90

Default Re: Keeping Wild Toads, Eastern American Toad?

here are 2 pics of the toad i found in Delaware this weekend Name:  A toad 1.jpg
Views: 1795
Size:  75.1 KBName:  A toad 3.jpg
Views: 1650
Size:  66.1 KB

KingCam

You will get differnent opinions from everyone on wild caught frogs. Some people are completely and totally 100% against it, others are all for it. In my opinion collecting a few wild specimens is not a big deal IF:

1) You are collecting a common abundant species
    2) You only collect what you intend to keep as a pet, never catch wild animals with the intent to resell.
    3) You must do everything in your power to provide a big natural setup with everything the animals needs.
    4) If the frog gets sick it's your duty to find a solution
    5) Do not reintroduce your wild caught animal back into nature after it has become "domesticated."

Also, check your local state laws to ensure you're not breaking the law.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It looks like a Fowlers toad to me. The have a solid color belly and on the back there are two or three bumps inside the dark spots. From those pictures I can see there are two or three bumps inside the dark spots.

Fowlers will hybridize with American Toads. However that one does not look like a hybrid to me. You keep them the same as an American toad. However in the wild they prefer sandy areas.

pacman90

@Cam yea the Fowlers and Eastern American Toads are abundant here, i did find another 1 when i got home but this is one is an Eastern American Toad. @Psychotic yea i did a bit or research to find out the one in these pics above is indeed a fowlers toad. Here are sum pics of the Eastern Am. Toad this 1 eats like a hog, loves his nightcrawls and wigglers (if only my Pacman would eat now :/) Name:  A toad 1.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  107.6 KBName:  A toad 2.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  61.1 KB but good news they are being well kept and cared for i assure you, although i might get yelled at by a few people in here for keeping wild caught animals but hey theyre doing excellent and it keeps em from freezing outside or gettin eaten/ranover...p.s. the bin in the picture was a temporary bin and they are in a semi permanent home now, by semi perm i mean good enuf til i find better

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Heck they are probably fine in the bin you have them in. I had my toads in a plastic sweater box and they seemed content. Then I bought them a big 40 gallon tank and even though I put a lot of stuff in there they seem a lot more scared. I think they liked the box better because they couldn't really see through it.

They do eat like little pigs though. My big female will hop on top of the smaller toads to steal their food so I have to feed them separately lol.

pacman90

lol yea my American Toad eats like a hog big time! i feed em off paper plates so its generally easier to feed em (keeps the eco earth off the worms, the worms cant burrow if not eaten in time, and i dont have to touch the toads to move em into another cage) and as soon as i put the lil plate in the cage he jumps right on it lol

Nationality
    [United States]

Too cute!

We had an American toad several years ago. He was awesome. He'd sit in his food bowl waiting to eat every day.

You have your species correct. Good research. They are pretty simple to care for. Much easier than a pacman, lol .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    They are pretty simple to care for. Much easier than a pacman, lol .
    This is true!

pacman90

as for laws i can only keep 1 eastern american toad and 1 fowler here in PA, i checked the local game laws last night, good thing i only have 1 lol

Thread Information