Thread: Gray tree frog playing dead?

froglover27

Unhappy Gray tree frog playing dead?

Everytime I handle my baby gray tree frog...he kind of spazzes out, puffs up, and goes limp.....The first time it happened, I thought he had died, so I went to pick up his 'lifeless' body and he popped right up. Its happened like 5 times since. The weird thing is, it only happens when I pick him up, and it's consistent. UGGH! WHATS WRONG!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

KingCam

Default Re: Gray tree frog playing dead?

Frogs are not meant to be handled. Their skin is very sensistive to the oils & salts on your hands. If you have soap, lotion, or other chemicals on your skin that makes it even worse. You are either poisoning him through his skin or you're stressing him out to the point of collapse. Clearly your frog does not react well to being handled, so wouldn't common sense tell you to stop before you kill the poor thing?

Babies are even more sensitive to chemicals and stress than adults. You should NEVER handle baby frogs.

Cats & dogs are for cuddling with, frogs are for observing.

Rae

I agree.. the only frog that can handle handling are White's tree frogs... but like any frogs... this should not be a daily thing or for long lengths at a time... and your hands should be extremely clean with no residue of anything including soap.

I hope your frog calms down if you leave it alone... My husband wont leave 1 of mine alone about every couple weeks he picks it up and Frodo is off for a couple days after :/... Thats why I'm looking into Whites so he will stay away from my greys..

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yeah, sounds like you're giving the little dude heart palpitations or something. Only pick him up when you're cleaning the tank and wear gloves when you do so. I mean, he's like what? an inch long and you're how many thousands of times his size? You'd probably freak out too if something that big picked you up and held you. Can't blame the fella really.
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

froglover27

The only time I handle him is when I clean his cage, I'm not dumb. I ALWAYS wash and dry my hands before and after handling him. I'm not new to frog keeping.....I was just asking for some help..I'm sorry I didn't put these little details in the description. It doesn't matter now though....RIP Haiku)':

adinco

Justine, Cam can be a bit brunt. Don't worry about it He means well.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by froglover27 View Post
    The only time I handle him is when I clean his cage, I'm not dumb. I ALWAYS wash and dry my hands before and after handling him. I'm not new to frog keeping.....I was just asking for some help..I'm sorry I didn't put these little details in the description. It doesn't matter now though....RIP Haiku)':
    I didn't think, nor did I intend to imply that I thought, you were stupid. I was under the assumption that you were brand new to frog keeping though. My apologies for my assumption and the loss of your little guy. :\
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry for your loss

LizardMama

Do not handle the baby frogs! They stress out more than the adults, only handle the adults when you have to or they jump on you asking for a "cuddle".

Thread Information