Thread: New FBT in Classroom

ViolaSwamp

Question New FBT in Classroom

Hi there! I'm new to this forum and new to frogs (but not reptiles). I recently acquired a fine little FBT and have a few questions. I got him over a week ago (Aug. 29) but he still hasn't eaten. He's very fat and active, but is uninterested in the crickets I drop into his tank. They are all appropriately sized. He is housed in a 5 gallon tank with clean, dechlorinated water. He doesn't have a friend at this time, but I'm hoping to get him one in the future. Here are my questions:
    -Is his set-up ok? I tried to keep it very simple because I have limited access to an area where I can clean his tank. With a light-weight, plastic container, it's easy for me to change his water frequently and keep his enclosure clean.
    -The enclosure is about the size of a 5-gallon. Is this too small for a pair? If so, will it be detrimental to him if he is kept alone?
    -Any ideas as to why he isn't eating yet? The classroom is a comfortable temp and the crickets are about half the size of the frog's head. I have been keeping him covered while he's acclimating so the students don't stress him out.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

KingCam

Default Re: New FBT in Classroom

A 5 gallon is probably a bit cramped for a firebelly toad. He would do much better in a 10 gallon aquairum with a land area to get out of the water.

Your frog will be fine living alone, if you want to get a second one it should fit okay in a 10 gallon with the other.

Try putting dark paper on the back and sides to make your frog feel more secure. This may help with the eating issues. Keeping him covered during class is also a good idea. If you want to leave him uncovered you should provide at least 3 hiding areas for him, so he can retreat if he's feeling stressed out.

4. This member thanks KingCam for this post:

adinco

He might not be eating just because he's a little stressed with the new housing. I think you've got enough room for one if you change the water often, but two wouldn't fit in a 5 well. The set up looks pretty good too but like cam said, since he's in a classroom you'll want to make sure he's got plenty of places to hide.

6. This member thanks adinco for this post:

ViolaSwamp

Thank you for the replies! It's hard to tell in the pic, but he has a bridge and plant to hide under. Also, I change the water every other day so his enclosure is definitely clean. I will continue to keep him covered until he starts eating (hopefully soon!). I don't allow the students to crowd around any of the animals in my room...they can only observe in pairs. Also, I don't handle him...when it's time to clean his tank, I use a cup to pick him up.

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by ViolaSwamp View Post
    Thank you for the replies! It's hard to tell in the pic, but he has a bridge and plant to hide under. Also, I change the water every other day so his enclosure is definitely clean. I will continue to keep him covered until he starts eating (hopefully soon!). I don't allow the students to crowd around any of the animals in my room...they can only observe in pairs. Also, I don't handle him...when it's time to clean his tank, I use a cup to pick him up.
    One last note, and I'm sure you're already doing this (otherwise your frog would likely be dead). Never use straight tap water, you need to use something to neutralize the chlorine and chloramines in the water. I prefer Amquel+

ViolaSwamp

Quote Originally Posted by KingCam View Post
    One last note, and I'm sure you're already doing this (otherwise your frog would likely be dead). Never use straight tap water, you need to use something to neutralize the chlorine and chloramines in the water. I prefer Amquel+
    Yes, I'm using AmQuel as well...I definitely don't want to kill my little guy.

Thread Information