Thread: Pacman calling, how early can they start?

Pluke

Default Pacman calling, how early can they start?

Ok.. so I've heard one of my pacmans calling! Apparently I've got a boy, which I was glad to hear. BUT.. now for the question. How old can these guys be when they start calling? I could have SWORN my green pacman was a female, she just felt like a female to me. It's grown to about 3 inches in not even 2 months and still eats every day like clockwork. I don't think this one is calling, but it's possible.

Now.. I have a little albino that I got on august 11 and he was a little bigger than a quarter. He's more than doubled in size by now.. Could he be old enough to be calling? I also have a Green Apple.. he is pretty gimpy and I really have no idea if it's a female or male, it's growth has been stunted, but recently it's actually grown a bit and put on some weight. It doesn't eat on it's own but I've been force feeding it every 2-3 days for the last month and it's been improving. I really feel like it's the albino as I felt it was a boy from day one, but feeling something isn't an exact science. I'm going to try and get some pictures up, maybe you guys could tell me what your guess on the sex would be.

Anyways, The call sounds like a chirp, almost a whistle. He does it a couple of times and then stops, I've heard him do it on four separate occasions this morning.. my living alarm clock, lol. I was actually glad to awake to this noise. If I wasn't so tired I'm sure it would have been much more exciting, but that doesn't mean it wasn't. Heard my first pacman call in person, very cool.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

frogsubrosa

Default Re: Pacman calling, how early can they start?

Mine is 2.8" and just started calling a couple of nights back. Actually, it was 6am the first morning I heard (3 calls) , and 630am the second morning (about 8 calls, 2 sets of 4). He seems to be getting louder and bolder!

Like you, I was really tired and hence less excited than I would have been if he had croaked during the hours I'm awake. Good thing is he stops calling as soon as he hears me say "SHUDDUP". I got a feeling that he's going to do things his way when he got used to my voice. LOL

Pluke

lol, as I was about to type this I just heard him call again. I have a feeling he'll be calling to get me up every morning, funny thing is I just moved him into my bedroom like 2 days ago. Oh well.. I sleep too much anyway. :P

How long have you had yours?

frogsubrosa

I have mine since 10th July. That was when it was 1.5". So in 2 months, it grew 1.3". Not sure if his growth rate is normal though.

I haven't heard mine call when I'm awake though, maybe he's too shy. I've tried misting his tank, and playing youtube videos of other pacman croaking and he just doesn't respond.

Pluke

Well, right now it's pretty dark upstairs in my room because it's raining outside.. I'm hearing gray tree frogs call outside every 30 mins or so, so he's not the only one calling. Must be something in the air. This morning the Gray tree frogs were making a lot of noise, they LOVE it when it rains.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Usually once they reach 2.5" to 3" they'll attempt to call or around 5.5 month of age. Size and if their are other male Pacs calling usually determine whether they'll start calling or not. The more males calling heard by youngsters they sooner they'll start, but this also differs from frog to frog.

Pluke

You think all of the gray tree frogs calling outside could have trigger his calls? I haven't measured him but I don't think the albino is 2.5 yet. I need to get them out for pictures/measurements. I've been meaning too but now that one of them is calling, I think it's a must. I'm hoping it's the albino.. I'd be shocked if it was the Green Apple.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    You think all of the gray tree frogs calling outside could have trigger his calls? I haven't measured him but I don't think the albino is 2.5 yet. I need to get them out for pictures/measurements. I've been meaning too but now that one of them is calling, I think it's a must. I'm hoping it's the albino.. I'd be shocked if it was the Green Apple.
    So would I. As far as I know no one has ever heard a Green Apple call, but that's probably due to most not making it that far in their lives.
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; September 4th, 2012 at 04:57 PM.

Pluke

Name:  Picture 020.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  72.9 KBName:  Picture 024.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  67.5 KBName:  Picture 026.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  53.7 KBName:  Picture 022.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  51.3 KBName:  Picture 025.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  53.1 KBName:  Picture 027.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  63.3 KBName:  Picture 028.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  43.3 KBName:  Picture 029.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  41.6 KBName:  Picture 030.jpg
Size:  79.5 KBName:  Picture 019.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  33.4 KB

Big photo dump, here's my pacmans. Like I said, I've always kind of thought the Green was a female and that the male was an albino. What do you guys think? That last picture of the albino is probably two weeks old, give or take. All the other pics I took today. Tried to get them from all angles, forgot the overhead shot of the Green.

Nationality
    [United States]

Name:  Picture 020.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  72.9 KBName:  Picture 024.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  67.5 KBName:  Picture 026.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  53.7 KBName:  Picture 022.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  51.3 KBName:  Picture 025.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  53.1 KBName:  Picture 027.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  63.3 KBName:  Picture 028.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  43.3 KBName:  Picture 029.jpg
Size:  41.6 KBName:  Picture 030.jpg
Size:  79.5 KBName:  Picture 019.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  33.4 KB

Big photo dump, here's my pacmans. Like I said, I've always kind of thought the Green was a female and that the male was an albino. What do you guys think? That last picture of the albino is probably two weeks old, give or take. All the other pics I took today. Tried to get them from all angles, forgot the overhead shot of the Green.
    The Green looks to be male. Check for nuptial pads on his thumbs. 5th pic you can see his vocal sac slightly.

Pluke

Ahh alright, thanks Grif. I'll check for those pads, but I have a feeling you're right. I think I've been in denial, haha. It's just growing so fast I thought it might be a female. What do you think about the albino?

Nationality
    [United States]

Ahh alright, thanks Grif. I'll check for those pads, but I have a feeling you're right. I think I've been in denial, haha. It's just growing so fast I thought it might be a female. What do you think about the albino?
    Albino looks female to me. If their roughly the same age and size, but the Albino hasn't attempted to call with the Green then that can be an indicator. Most of the time Males will respond to one another.

Pluke

They're a month apart, I got them both when they were about the size of a quarter but a month apart. I'm sure I'll know in a month or so if they start having conversations with each other, lol. Thanks grif.

Nationality
    [United States]

They're a month apart, I got them both when they were about the size of a quarter but a month apart. I'm sure I'll know in a month or so if they start having conversations with each other, lol. Thanks grif.
    You're welcome.

Thread Information