Thread: Raw nose

Endosymbiote

Default Raw nose

My WTF has developed a raw spot on its nose. It doesn't look infected or bleeding, but you can tell the skin has rubbed away a bit.

I left it for 2.5 weeks under my roommate's care (with careful misting/feeding instructions), but I don't think it was my roommate's fault. I'm thinking he may be abrading his nose when he lunges for crickets at the edge of his feeding bowl, or possibly at night when climbs to the highest part of the tank and bashes against the grate. This latter event has happened more often recently, and I'm thinking it may be time to get a bigger/taller tank. I currently have him in a 20 gallon tank. For reference, I got the frog ~6 months ago, it was maybe 2.5 inches then, and closer to 3 now, but it hasn't grown much.

I'm about the lack of growth... I see the pictures of other WTFs and mine looks scrawny by comparison (judging by ear ridges and width). It gets fed 4-5 gut-loaded crickets on average per night, calcium dusted once/week. I haven't had a fecal floation test done, because it's been healthy (read: active) all along.

So, questions are:
    1. Should I change the tank to a tall one ASAP? It is a tree frog after all...
    2. What can I do to help with its nose abrasion?
    3. Should I be feeding it more? Is it likely it is carrying parasites? At what age do WTFs reach maximum size, and how can I tell if it is there?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Raw nose

Quote Originally Posted by Endosymbiote View Post
    So, questions are:
    1. Should I change the tank to a tall one ASAP? It is a tree frog after all...
    2. What can I do to help with its nose abrasion?
    3. Should I be feeding it more? Is it likely it is carrying parasites? At what age do WTFs reach maximum size, and how can I tell if it is there?
    1. It would be a good idea to do so. Most likely the reason for your frog's sore snout is that its cage is too small and it has been rubbing its nose raw trying to find a way out of it.
    2. Leave it be and just make sure things are kept clean.
    3. No, not necessary. Quite possibly, it would be a good idea to have it treated for parasites by your vet. There are too many factors involved to accurately answer this question.

Thread Information