Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injury

KaylaSt

Exclamation Injury - now with pics

My red eyed leaf frog I noticed yesterday has an almost sore like spot on his back. It look like a scrape almost but it's red and a little puffy but not by much. Are frogs capable of repairing on their own? Is there anything I should know about routine when they get injured? Besides that both of my frogs are healthy, eating and very active at night. I've been keeping an eye on it but it hasn't been very long to see much change. Is there anything I need to do or should I just leave it be?
    Last edited by KaylaSt; January 13th, 2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: :)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Injury

Pictures would help. Other thn that all I can say is take it to vet and have it checked out.

KaylaSt

[IMG][/IMG]

KaylaSt

Oh I was also wondering... the other day he fell asleep on a leaf and that part of his back was suctioned to the glass. Could the moisture build up have caused the sore? Or something along those lines? I just want to get at any problems as early as I can because I am still getting over the death of our last frog and every little thing is just stressing me out. I want to do anything I can to keep these guys healthy and happy.

hyla

I read your other post. Sounds like you are having a bad time lately! Hopefully this is nothing too terrible. Perhaps when he was stuck to the glass the other day it caused alittle of his skin to tear and develop a sore...

KaylaSt

I really hope so. I get so attached to my little guys and I still miss my "Gerome". Thank you for your thoughts. I really appreciate it! :-)

MichFrog

When i got my first frog, he burnt himself when i was cleaning his night light cover (really stupid on my part, I know, i felt awful for ages) and he got a nasty sore on his back. It didnt look like the sore on yours though, so it is obvious yours isnt a burn. Sorry i am rambling, the point was, the vet told me to keep the tank really clean to stop the build up of infection on the sore. Might help you, and good news, he lived!

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Do you have any sharp objects in the terrarium? Frogs don't just get injuries like that for no reason.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

That sore looks a little bit angry! I would have him cheched out by the vet as soon as possible.

KaylaSt

I don't have anything sharp in the tank that I know of. I was looking and feeling and I couldn't see anything. This may sound silly, but can they get sores like that if they fight? That is my biggest worry. I made an appointment to check for infections and such on Saturday. Closest vet is about 2 1/2 hours away. Any advice on making his trip easier on him? I am open to suggestions!

And thank you so much guys for your help!!
    Don't know what I would do without it
    Last edited by KaylaSt; January 14th, 2010 at 07:56 PM.

IgbyKibbits

I'm new, so I don't have any advice from previous experience. Just well wishes that everything goes well tomorrow!

MichFrog

Transporting White's Tree Frogs

Kurt had some really good advice in this thread, and ofcourse i did too. haha

KaylaSt

His injury went from bad to worse. His sore has turned white and he has turned completely brown. His appointment is in hours... I hope he makes it. I am really wanting him to get better. Any advice?

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm rather worried - it sounds like he's under a lot of stress so he's going to need a lot of luck to get through this.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

IgbyKibbits

Keep us updated Kayla! When transporting him, just try to get the conditions as close as possible to his tank so not to stress him more. Since it's a long trip, can you bring someone to help spray down the transport container. One thing I did was literally take the thermometer/humidity gauge off my frogs normal tank and put them on the container tank so I could monitor as much as possible. Give him a place to hide so he can feel a little more safe. Also, I put a towel around the tank and covering just 1/3 to 1/2 of the lid so he could get some good ventilation but also help keep heat in the tank since it's cold (like you) where I am. Best of luck!

spooky

I had to transport one of my lil' guys last week. I put a small amount of his normal substrate into a small plastic container, along with a plastic plant. I misted the container and substrate thoroughly and placed a microwavable heat pad under half of the container. I pierced several small holes into the lid (before putting the frog in of course!). My guy survived the journey just fine, even though he was only in the container for an hour or so.

mackie

I'm having a similar problem with one of my red eyes! He has a spot just like the one shown in your picture but it's on his leg. It hasn't gotten any worse or better in the last 3 days. He's still eating, and is still bright green, but I'm very worried as to what this could be. Have you heard from the vet yet?

blightedchemist

I hope everything turned out well! we are all anxious to hear back from you!

KaylaSt

So he is all better now and both of my little guys are doing great!! I am so happy. I took him to the vet and she gave me a cream for it. It turns out it was a cricket bite that some bacteria got into and it was a little infected. It was a lot better very fast but it took till a couple days ago to heal completely. He does have a little scar but doing great! I thank everyone for their help and support!!

Kurt

Thats awesome! So glad to hear it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information