Thread: 1 Female at Home, Looking for Company

Garbanzo66

Question 1 Female at Home, Looking for Company

Hey everyone, I love toads, I got two fire-bellied toads for my birthday two years ago, and this past year one of them ate the other , and with piling up evidence I came to the conclusion that my remaining toad is a female and not a male as I had previously thought. Anyhow, my toad's been looking sad and lonely, I've been thinking about getting another or perhaps more to keep her company, but another male I think would be out of the question. So, how would the petstores (I'm thinking PetSmart) know if one was a female or not? And otherwise, what do you guys suggest? Thanks a ton, Garbanzo66

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 1 Female at Home, Looking for Company

FBT's are difficult to sex in the best of circumstance. Sometimes females are slightly bigger than males, although I find that mine are usually too fat and sassy to tell unless they are in ambeplexus. I would simply look for the healthiest of the bunch and go that way and not worry about what sex it is. I also like to keep my animals in odd numbers, so if you have room for three you might consider getting another one. Good Luck
    Karen from Montana
    The Reasons that I have to Work:
    1.2.0 - Equine - Butter Baby, Freedom
    0.1.0 - Feline - Cassie
    3.1.0 - Canine - 1 Min Schnauzer, AJ
    1 Lhasa Apso/Poodle X, DaniLyn
    2 Giant Schnauzers, Trucker & Trooper
    0.0.4 - Axolotls - Hewey, Lewey & Dewey, Angel & Fire
    0.1.0 - Hermann's Tortoise - Ari
    0.0.3 - Bufo Boreals - Wynken, Blynken, and Nod
    1.0.0 - Humanus Maritus - Ron

Garbanzo66

Thanks a ton! I will keep this in mind the next time I browse the pet store. Also, just to throw it out there, how would you go about introducing a new toad(s) into an environment with an already established resident? Thanks again, Garbanzo66

adinco

i'm a bit confused as to why you would quickly jump to buying another frog if your frog just ate the other one? are you sure she ate the other one? like did you SEE her eat the other one?

Garbanzo66

Quote Originally Posted by adinco View Post
    i'm a bit confused as to why you would quickly jump to buying another frog if your frog just ate the other one? are you sure she ate the other one? like did you SEE her eat the other one?
    Right now I'm collecting information for possibly near future reference. Currently I don't believe I would have the time nor my family the resources for another toad. Um, as for time? You said "quickly", and my toad supposedly ate the other last late October/early November. I don't have any visual evidence other than that my second toad was there one night and not there the next, we've found no corpse over this time, and I did catch my toad trying to eat the other once before but I quickly intervened. So basically, to answer your question... No, I wouldn't quickly jump to getting another frog so soon after my current toad ate the other. I hope to let some more time elapse before I come to a full decision on that, and even then it would only really be a definite thought. Thanks for asking, though, Garbanzo66

Thread Information