Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small bubmps and scratches on Lily, my White's Tree Frog. Anybody know what this could be?

Lyndsaygirl123

Unhappy Small bubmps and scratches on Lily, my White's Tree Frog. Anybody know what this could be?

She seemed and looked perfectly fine yesterday. But today, I noticed she has these weird skin discolorations that looks like scratches. They aren't bleeding or scabbed. I can't figure out what happened! There aren't any crickets inside her tank that would harm her. I also noticed somethings else. She has these small pimple like bumps on her back and also one near her nose.Do these look normal or should I be worried? She is captive bred for sure, so I know it isn't a parasite. Any advice!?

Name:  P1090597.jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  69.2 KBName:  P1090598.jpg
Views: 1828
Size:  50.0 KBName:  P1090605.jpg
Views: 1472
Size:  78.0 KB
    Name:  P1090604.jpg
Views: 3579
Size:  82.3 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lyndsaygirl123

Default Re: Small bubmps and scratches on Lily, my White's Tree Frog. Anybody know what this could be?

Name:  P1090601.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  71.8 KB Here is another pictures. You can see the small bump on the right near her nose.

Rae

Default Re: Small bubmps and scratches on Lily, my White's Tree Frog. Anybody know what this could be?

I'm not sure whats wrong I hope you get helpful comments soon or I would take it to the vet if it gets any worse or doesn't clear up... do the scratches look worse?

5. This member thanks Rae for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndsaygirl123 View Post
    She seemed and looked perfectly fine yesterday. But today, I noticed she has these weird skin discolorations that looks like scratches. They aren't bleeding or scabbed. I can't figure out what happened! There aren't any crickets inside her tank that would harm her. I also noticed somethings else. She has these small pimple like bumps on her back and also one near her nose.Do these look normal or should I be worried? She is captive bred for sure, so I know it isn't a parasite. Any advice!?

Name:  P1090597.jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  69.2 KBName:  P1090598.jpg
Views: 1828
Size:  50.0 KBName:  P1090605.jpg
Views: 1472
Size:  78.0 KB
    Name:  P1090604.jpg
Views: 3579
Size:  82.3 KB
    Lyndsay,
    She definitely got scratched by climbing passed something or trying to squeeze passed something?
    ( in photo behind her eye /our left)
    The bumps could be insect bites? You should treat them so they don't get infected.
    You could do a honey bath also :
    http://www.frogforum.net/content/bas...first-aid-142/
    Could there be some kind of insect in the substrate or from the wood that could bite her?
    How was the wood and or plants prepared prior to putting them into the enclosure?
    What feeders do you use?
    Inspect the entire enclosure very carefully.
    Look at her very closely to see if there are any tiny insects walking on her.
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

7. This member thanks flybyferns for this post:

Lyndsaygirl123

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    Lyndsay,
    She definitely got scratched by climbing passed something or trying to squeeze passed something?
    ( in photo behind her eye /our left)
    The bumps could be insect bites? You should treat them so they don't get infected.
    You could do a honey bath also :
    Frog Forum - Basic Frog First Aid
    Could there be some kind of insect in the substrate or from the wood that could bite her?
    How was the wood and or plants prepared prior to putting them into the enclosure?
    What feeders do you use?
    Inspect the entire enclosure very carefully.
    Look at her very closely to see if there are any tiny insects walking on her.
    Thanks for your reply! The wood was baked, soaked in a bleach water solution, and then soaked and rinsed in dechlorinated water. I don't think any bugs would survive that. The plants were soaked also. I have fake plants in the tank, so I am thinking maybe she got scratched by one of them? She likes to hide in them so it would make sense. The scratches look a little better today.
    I have inspected her very well and I don't see any insects on her. I use cocofiber substrate from ZooMed, and I have not seen any insects in it.
    I saw an old thread with somebody who had the same problem and somebody said their vet told them they were stress spots. Ever heard of that? I only got her a week ago, and I think she has been pretty stressed getting used to her new surroundings.
    As for feeders, I give her crickets. But I tong feed her mostly, so I know they aren't crickets bites.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for your reply! The wood was baked, soaked in a bleach water solution, and then soaked and rinsed in dechlorinated water. I don't think any bugs would survive that. The plants were soaked also. I have fake plants in the tank, so I am thinking maybe she got scratched by one of them? She likes to hide in them so it would make sense. The scratches look a little better today.
    I have inspected her very well and I don't see any insects on her. I use cocofiber substrate from ZooMed, and I have not seen any insects in it.
    I saw an old thread with somebody who had the same problem and somebody said their vet told them they were stress spots. Ever heard of that? I only got her a week ago, and I think she has been pretty stressed getting used to her new surroundings.
    As for feeders, I give her crickets. But I tong feed her mostly, so I know they aren't crickets bites.
    Check the coco fiber for mites. sometimes the coco fiber will have mites in it that emerge after the substrate is moistened.

10. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Also to prevent infection in the scratches apply a small amount of Original Neosporin that DOES NOT contain Painkiller. Just plain Neosporin.

12. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Lyndsaygirl123

I will check the fiber for mites and apply some plain Neosporin. Do you think the Neosporin could help the bumps too?

Nationality
    [United States]

I will check the fiber for mites and apply some plain Neosporin. Do you think the Neosporin could help the bumps too?
    If they are actually bites yes, but if they are just a part of the frogs skin or an irritation caused by something in the enclosure then no. Look really hard for any mites. If the bumps aren't red or do not look somewhat inflamed they may be just an irregularity in the frog's skin. You don't want to apply too much of the ointment, but maybe try a small amount on the bumps to see if the begin to recede.

15. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Lyndsaygirl123

I looked for mites, but did not see any. I will continue to keep my eye out for them though. The bumps deifnitely don't look red or irritated, some of them look like they have a little white head on them though. But it is so tiny it is hard to tell. But it is different than the white spots they normally have.
    I put applied little bit of ointment on both the bumps and the scratches with a q-tip. How often should I apply it? Once a day? I feel so bad stressing her out so much.

Nationality
    [United States]

I looked for mites, but did not see any. I will continue to keep my eye out for them though. The bumps deifnitely don't look red or irritated, some of them look like they have a little white head on them though. But it is so tiny it is hard to tell. But it is different than the white spots they normally have.
    I put applied little bit of ointment on both the bumps and the scratches with a q-tip. How often should I apply it? Once a day? I feel so bad stressing her out so much.
    You can do it once per day if you are worried about stressing her out too much. Keep a close eye out for anything odd like more bumps appearing and try to find what scratched her and smooth it down so it doesn't happen again.

Lyndsaygirl123

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    You can do it once per day if you are worried about stressing her out too much. Keep a close eye out for anything odd like more bumps appearing and try to find what scratched her and smooth it down so it doesn't happen again.
    Okay, I will. Thanks so much for your help! I will update if there is anything new that happens.

Nationality
    [United States]

Okay, I will. Thanks so much for your help! I will update if there is anything new that happens.
    You're welcome.

Nationality
    [United States]

That's why Grif is "Great" !!!

Check the very edges of the artificial leaves? Sometimes they are rough; maybe touch/rub them against the inside of your wrist.

I would still treat her, to prevent infection.
    Like Grif said VERY sparingly ; and not on the ones that are only bumps.
    Apply only to the ones that look erupted.

The tong feeding could be causing stress?
    How about starting to put some dusted crickets - nightly- into a clear class bowl. ( 3" side) like a pyrex
    She may not take them right away - but will eventually.

Cover three sides of her enclosure for awhile and keep her in a quite spot w/out a lot of foot traffic.

Feed her well , especially while she is adjusting and stressed.

After she goes back to sleep in the AM
    Very quietly remove uneaten crickets from her bowl each AM ( throw them back in the bin to feed)
    and do a real quick - daily - de-chlorinated water bowl change
    ( keep her dish really clean !!!! rinse w/ very hot water and use friction to dry w/ a clean paper towel)

Get her in the habit of lights out/ light on at the same time every day. Then you can spy on her !!!! hehehe

Prepare a Froggy medicine cabinet: You should really have some Sulfadiazene on hand (It belongs to a class of drugs known as sulfa antibiotics ). It controls bacteria and fungus from spreading to the surrounding skin of a tiny frog. More importantly to the blood stream where it can cause a serious blood infection called sepsis. It prevents the spread of skin and wound infections from turning into “ulcers”. These can spread over the entire frog very quickly in their environment in which they live . It is sometimes used together w/ other antibiotics. I'm not saying she needs this. But is , of course, best to be prepared. Here is some information as to how to obtain medications to keep on hand in case of an illness/ parasites / infection. Sulfadiazene is a thin milky solution--not oily like the Neo. The Neo is ok in a pinch , but the Sulfadiazene is better for many reasons. You could email Dr Frye; he can explain.

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-prepared.html

Hope this helps
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

21. 2 members thank flybyferns for this post:

Lyndsaygirl123

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    That's why Grif is "Great" !!!

Check the very edges of the artificial leaves? Sometimes they are rough; maybe touch/rub them against the inside of your wrist.

I would still treat her, to prevent infection.
    Like Grif said VERY sparingly ; and not on the ones that are only bumps.
    Apply only to the ones that look erupted.

The tong feeding could be causing stress?
    How about starting to put some dusted crickets - nightly- into a clear class bowl. ( 3" side) like a pyrex
    She may not take them right away - but will eventually.

Cover three sides of her enclosure for awhile and keep her in a quite spot w/out a lot of foot traffic.

Feed her well , especially while she is adjusting and stressed.

After she goes back to sleep in the AM
    Very quietly remove uneaten crickets from her bowl each AM ( throw them back in the bin to feed)
    and do a real quick - daily - de-chlorinated water bowl change
    ( keep her dish really clean !!!! rinse w/ very hot water and use friction to dry w/ a clean paper towel)

Get her in the habit of lights out/ light on at the same time every day. Then you can spy on her !!!! hehehe

Prepare a Froggy medicine cabinet: You should really have some Sulfadiazene on hand (It belongs to a class of drugs known as sulfa antibiotics ). It controls bacteria and fungus from spreading to the surrounding skin of a tiny frog. More importantly to the blood stream where it can cause a serious blood infection called sepsis. It prevents the spread of skin and wound infections from turning into “ulcers”. These can spread over the entire frog very quickly in their environment in which they live . It is sometimes used together w/ other antibiotics. I'm not saying she needs this. But is , of course, best to be prepared. Here is some information as to how to obtain medications to keep on hand in case of an illness/ parasites / infection. Sulfadiazene is a thin milky solution--not oily like the Neo. The Neo is ok in a pinch , but the Sulfadiazene is better for many reasons. You could email Dr Frye; he can explain.

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-prepared.html

Hope this helps
    Lynn
    Thank you so much Lynn! I will get to work on the froggy first aid kit, and start feeding her from a bowl. Do you think I will ever be able to tong feed her once she is less stressed and adjusted? I tong fed my other two white's without any problems.
    The one plant that she likes to hide in does have a few rough edges. I'm thinking this is how she got scratched. I am going to try to smooth them out.
    I will continue to sparingly apply the Triple Antibiotic (Generic Neosporin) once day until the bumps and scratches heal.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you so much Lynn! I will get to work on the froggy first aid kit, and start feeding her from a bowl. Do you think I will ever be able to tong feed her once she is less stressed and adjusted? I tong fed my other two white's without any problems.
    The one plant that she likes to hide in does have a few rough edges. I'm thinking this is how she got scratched. I am going to try to smooth them out.
    I will continue to sparingly apply the Triple Antibiotic (Generic Neosporin) once day until the bumps and scratches heal.
    Be careful with the Generic brands. Some don't always contain the same ingredients.

Lyndsaygirl123

Be careful with the Generic brands. Some don't always contain the same ingredients.
    I compared them and they both have the same active ingredients. The only difference is the generic contains "light mineral oil, white petrolatum" in inactive ingredients and Neo contains "Cocoa Butter, cottonseed oil, and Olive Oil" Is that bad? Should I return it and get the real Neo? I thought the less inactive ingrediants would be better.

Nationality
    [United States]

I compared them and they both have the same active ingredients. The only difference is the generic contains "light mineral oil, white petrolatum" in inactive ingredients and Neo contains "Cocoa Butter, cottonseed oil, and Olive Oil" Is that bad? Should I return it and get the real Neo? I thought the less inactive ingrediants would be better.
    Well the Cocoa Butter, Cottonseed Oil, and Olive Oil are non petroleum based and are natural. It would be best to use the Name brand here. I don't believe the one small application probably won't do any harm, but I always practice better safe than sorry when it comes to treatments.

Lyndsaygirl123

Well the Cocoa Butter, Cottonseed Oil, and Olive Oil are non petroleum based and are natural. It would be best to use the Name brand here. I don't believe the one small application probably won't do any harm, but I always practice better safe than sorry when it comes to treatments.
    It turns out the real Neo contains white petroleum also. Should I still get it?

Nationality
    [United States]

It turns out the real Neo contains white petroleum also. Should I still get it?
    No, I believe the Generic brand you've chosen will be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information