Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello to everyone, Have A White tree frog & An Eastern Grey tree frog

Panagiotis Mat

Default Re: Hello to everyone, Have A White tree frog & An Eastern Grey tree frog

and what do you feed your frogs?I feed my green frogs insects and worms tha i catch because pet stores here have no frog type objects or food so i try by my own to catch their food and feed them but the problem is that they dont wanna it infront of me or by my hands have any solution for this?

Rae

Default Re: Hello to everyone, Have A White tree frog & An Eastern Grey tree frog

lol and I want a female because im not crazy about there calls and dont want to here it all night long lol. I like the greys call... and he doesnt do it too much through the night. Usually after misting XD

Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Panagiotis Mat View Post
    and what do you feed your frogs?I feed my green frogs insects and worms tha i catch because pet stores here have no frog type objects or food so i try by my own to catch their food and feed them but the problem is that they dont wanna it infront of me or by my hands have any solution for this?
    I feed mine live crickets from Petsmart, or another reptile place nearby... I have also fed them crickets my daughter has caught... a couple flies and small moths but rarely do I catch those alive lol. I use forceps/tongs to feed mine but you can try the glass bowl trick. food must be live for this to work. (Crickets are the best staple diet for your frogs)

Rae

GLASS BOWL TRICK

Crickets can't get out of a dry, clean glass bowl. I'd have atleast an inch high... 3 inches wide... depending on size of frog... you need them to be able to get in and out easily. put the crickets in the bowl, in the terrarium and wait for your frogs to see them moving.

Rae

@Mat - Are these American Green Tree Frogs you are referring to by green frogs?

Kellbri

I feed her crickets and worms but i buy them from the place i bought her from. They only deal with reptiles and amphibians.

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by Panagiotis Mat View Post
    I feed my frogs roaches that I raise at home. This way I can provide super nutrient foods to my roaches, which will in turn mean lots of vitamins for my animals.

I sometimes capture moths for them at the porch light at night. They abolsutely go crazy for moths.

However, when catching insects from the outdoors there is always a chance you will capture a bug with pesticides, fertilizers, or some other chemical on them that could be poisonous to your frogs. I would be especially careful of earth worms you find in the yard, they have almost certainly been bathing in fertilizers and other chemicals, if not from your yard, then from your neighbors.

Do not feed your frogs super worms or meal worms. These "worms" are not actually worms, but beetle larvea with a shell. Meal/super worms have very little nutritional value, and because of the high shell content they often result in constipation (impaction) in your frog, which can lead to death if it's a severe case.

I highly recommend culturing your own roaches, but if that's not something you want to do your next best bet is to buy crickets from a pet store.

Be sure to dust feeder insects with multivitamin powder once a week, and calcium+D3 powder 2-3 times a week.

Always use bottled spring water or treated tap water (chlorine removed). Chlorine is very toxic to your frogs. You can mist the tank with distilled water, this will prevent water spots all over your tank. You don't want your frogs to soak in distilled water. Because distilled water is SO pure and has zero minerals in it, the water will actually leech important vitamins and minerals from your frog's skin, and we don't want that! Lightly misting them with distilled water is perfectly harmless, it's kinda like getting rained on for them. Rain water is also low or free of minerals, much like distilled water (I think.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    (Crickets are the best staple diet for your frogs)
    Only partially true. Crickets are the best staple diet you can buy from most pet stores, true. However, feeder roaches raised and gut loaded with high quality foods (like high protein organic dog food, organic fruits & vegetables) are much more nutritious, have less shell (making them easier to digest), are higher in protein, and lower in fat than crickets are.

Rae

Aren't most roaches to big for tree frogs.. atleast the roaches I have seen... they are the size of greys lol. I can see Whites eating them,

KingCam

Aren't most roaches to big for tree frogs.. atleast the roaches I have seen... they are the size of greys lol. I can see Whites eating them,
    That totally depends on the species of roach. Red runners and lobster roaches are the perfect size for greys Dubia roaches get too big as adults, but the nymphs are small enough for greys.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk 2

Rae

I just learned something XD... but I'll stick to my crickets... less creepy lol

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Great advice, KingCam !
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

12. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

KingCam

I just learned something XD... but I'll stick to my crickets... less creepy lol
    :P I can't argue with the "creepy" factor that comes with roaches. I've gotten to the point now where it doesn't bother me too much to hold the dubia roaches, and my deathead hybrids (the hybrids are even bigger than the dubias as adults), and I sometimes poke at my surinam, p.femapterus, and pallid roaches (all three of those species are very small as adults. Only like 1/2 inch long, smaller than an adult cricket. Great for tree frogs!)

But the lobster roaches, oh gawd the lobster roaches. If a lobster roach even gets close to touching me I am lible to scream like a small girl. The lobster roaches as adults are absolutely perfectly sized for my three biggest grey tree frogs. The other three smaller tree frogs get slighty smaller nymphs.

Here are a few photos of my grey tree frogs eating Lobster Roaches (Nauphoeta cinerea).

I think this is Bud (I get mixed up on which is which when I can't see them all :P). He's eating a medium sized lobster roach nymph. Normally lobster roach nymphs are dark brown, but this one just shed skin. For a couple hours after the roaches shed skin they don't have a shell, but rather very soft white skin. My frogs absolustely LOVE them like this. It's like all meat, no shell, the perfect feeder insect! I always look for "soft shell" roaches before feeding them a regular roach.

Here is a lobster roach nymph shedding its exoskeleton. They are very squishy at this point, no claws, no leg barbs, no shell whatsoever. It's like crack for my frogs. They will even fight each other over them if I don't separate them when I see them give "that look" to each other, hahaha

This is Frogger, she's swallowing a full grown lobster roach here. The wings are sticking out of her mouth still XD

I REALLY wish this photo hadn't turned out blurry. This is frogger, with the back end of an adult lobster roach hanging out of her mouth. You can see my frogs sometimes do acrobatics to beat each other to the roach at the end of the tongs XD

Anyway... as you can see, my tree frogs are fat and happy on a steady diet of gut loaded roaches :P

Rae

ewww lol but kinda cool lol

Pluke

To be honest, I think crickets are more gross than Roaches. I just have dubia's, never dealt with the other kinds.. but from handling and caring for dubia's in this last couple weeks, they are just so much easier.. they don't stink, they don't jump, and so far they haven't attracted any foreign bugs like gnats or flies. Which my crickets have.. stinky bastards. I change their bin regularly too. I think roaches just get a bad rap because you only hear about infestations of them in certain places, which is gross, but keeping them as feeders is completely different and also a different kind of roach. Unfortunately dubia's tend to dig into the coco fiber in my pacmans tank immediately, which is extremely aggravating. That and my pacmans aren't exactly fans of them, they are coming around though.. they just like to hunt a little I think and the roaches go straight underground. -.-

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    To be honest, I think crickets are more gross than Roaches. I just have dubia's, never dealt with the other kinds.. but from handling and caring for dubia's in this last couple weeks, they are just so much easier.. they don't stink, they don't jump, and so far they haven't attracted any foreign bugs like gnats or flies. Which my crickets have.. stinky bastards. I change their bin regularly too. I think roaches just get a bad rap because you only hear about infestations of them in certain places, which is gross, but keeping them as feeders is completely different and also a different kind of roach. Unfortunately dubia's tend to dig into the coco fiber in my pacmans tank immediately, which is extremely aggravating. That and my pacmans aren't exactly fans of them, they are coming around though.. they just like to hunt a little I think and the roaches go straight underground. -.-
    I agree with you on all of that.

The burrowing issue is why I just bought a starter culture of blatta lateralis, supposedly they won't burrow, instead they run around on the surface like crickets would.

My tree frogs aren't huge fans of the dubias, but they loooove their lobsters :P

Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk 2

Frog Tropics

Welcome to the forum!

If it's information you're looking for, you've come to the right place. If you can't find what you're looking for (it's worth taking some time to familiarize yourself with how to find information), then don't hesitate to start a new thread. Ask you can see, people are grab about responding and are very eager to help.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information