Thread: What to feed?

cambaker

Smile What to feed?

hello all, so i got new pacman frog like two weeks ago and have gotten really into it (joined this forum) and just had a few questions. The main one is what to feed him, I had been feeding him meal worms as suggested at the store, although am now reading that they are rather harmful. He has been doing fine and pooping regularly, however should I still change his diet? and what to? crickets are super annoying and i was hoping to avoid them, and i believe he is still small for a pinkie, and still needs a stable meal. Any ideas? and also- i have eco earth as a substrate and keeping it moist as told although it seems to be showing small signs of mold- and I wasn't sure what to do. many thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Murray of the Deep

Default Re: What to feed?

Quote Originally Posted by cambaker View Post
    hello all, so i got new pacman frog like two weeks ago and have gotten really into it (joined this forum) and just had a few questions. The main one is what to feed him, I had been feeding him meal worms as suggested at the store, although am now reading that they are rather harmful. He has been doing fine and pooping regularly, however should I still change his diet? and what to? crickets are super annoying and i was hoping to avoid them, and i believe he is still small for a pinkie, and still needs a stable meal. Any ideas? and also- i have eco earth as a substrate and keeping it moist as told although it seems to be showing small signs of mold- and I wasn't sure what to do. many thanks!
    No you made a big mistake you should feed it earthworms or nightcrawler , mealworms can kill your frogs because of much chitin(which happened to mine) and it makes your frog impacted and also crickets are the same,mealworms are just treats not main diet , feed it earthworms and nightcrawlers hope this helps (my frog died because of feeding him mealworms)

JIvoryII

Night Crawlers cut to appropriated size is the best staple food with crickets, dubia or similar roaches, horned worms ( appropriate sized ) , pac food are all good for variety and treats...

check out this video and the others they may help.

Tong Feeding 101 - YouTube

also post some pics of the frog and its setup .. may help use spot some think before it becomes an issue...

BTW.... Welcome to the addiction!!!

cambaker

Post Re: What to feed?

Quote Originally Posted by JIvoryII View Post
    Night Crawlers cut to appropriated size is the best staple food with crickets, dubia or similar roaches, horned worms ( appropriate sized ) , pac food are all good for variety and treats...

check out this video and the others they may help.

Tong Feeding 101 - YouTube

also post some pics of the frog and its setup .. may help use spot some think before it becomes an issue...

BTW.... Welcome to the addiction!!!
    awesome, and thank you! is it recommended to remove him frog the cage for feeding(as in the video) or with that cause his too much stress? and here are the results from the photo-op

Name:  IMG_2493.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  63.2 KBName:  IMG_2500.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  27.9 KBName:  IMG_2503.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  27.8 KBName:  IMG_2505.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  97.0 KBName:  IMG_2507.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  72.1 KB

Pluke

I don't remove mine from the tank while feeding. Just make sure when you are feeding that he doesn't get anything in his mouth other than food, from the looks of your tank that really shouldn't be an issue. Unless he manages to grab a plant leaf.. which is easily avoidable. Nice frog and setup.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

What are his day/night temps and humidity? Also, as a great alternative to crickets, you can try Dubia roaches. They don't smell, jump, climb, make noise, and once a colony is established, you never have to buy food again! Nightcrawlers are the best staple, but dubias aren't far behind and nightcrawlers can become expensive.

And don't worry, if they get out odds are they can't breed unless you live in a very warm climate. 90-95 is breeding temps for them.

Other than that, looks good! Hornedworms (CAPTIVE BRED) make very healthy treats! Wild caught ones eat tomatoes, which is poisonous to your frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Good advice above. Nice frog .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

cambaker

awesome, will do. thanks! Ill pick up some new food soon. so far I've thought my room temp would be fine, its about 75-80 constantly, around 70-75 at night. should i get a heater anyways? and to be honest I have no idea what the humidity is… I keep the tank moist and i read the plants should help maintain the humidity. should I probably get something to read the humidity, and could I possibly get a link to that and anything else i may need? thanks again, you guys rock!

Nationality
    [United States]

You are getting great advice! I would also recommend putting a background around three sides of the tank to minimize stress. You don't have to remove your frog to feed it. Some frogs get more stressed if removed and won't eat outside of their homes. Try to get him to tong feed if possible. Babies should be offered food every day. Feed him as much as he will eat in 15 minutes. Crickets or worm chunks should be about as long as the distance between the frog's eyes.

Also, don't be surprised if the frog uproots those plants! They like to burrow under things or push them out of the way. Mine have dug up live plants, knocked over fake plants, or shoved their water dish over in order to get into whatever spot they decide is most desirable!

Nationality
    [United States]

Keep the daytime temps at around 80 and nighttime around 75. 70 is a bit too cold do them.

Invest in a hygrometer and keep the humidity around 80% and you'll be good to go!

Oh, and be sure to treat any water in the tank to remove chlorine and heavy metals to recent your frog from toxing out. Reptisafe is a good brand, just follow the instructions

cambaker

thanks for all the help! i'll let you know if I think of anymore questions

Namio

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Also, don't be surprised if the frog uproots those plants! They like to burrow under things or push them out of the way. Mine have dug up live plants, knocked over fake plants, or shoved their water dish over in order to get into whatever spot they decide is most desirable!
    Grif I think your frogs are just trouble makers

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Namio View Post
    Grif I think your frogs are just trouble makers
    Well they most certainly didn't pick up these bad habits from me

AroseK

Quote Originally Posted by cambaker View Post
    awesome, and thank you! is it recommended to remove him frog the cage for feeding(as in the video) or with that cause his too much stress? and here are the results from the photo-op

Name:  IMG_2493.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  63.2 KBName:  IMG_2500.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  27.9 KBName:  IMG_2503.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  27.8 KBName:  IMG_2505.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  97.0 KBName:  IMG_2507.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  72.1 KB
    I have the same frog? colors and everything. Did you get it from pet smart?

AroseK

!****

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Well they most certainly didn't pick up these bad habits from me
    Well someone is the bad influence!!

cambaker

Quote Originally Posted by AroseK View Post
    I have the same frog? colors and everything. Did you get it from pet smart?
    yeah I totally did! thats funny- I love the green stripes on them. how's yours doing?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Well someone is the bad influence!!
    I believe that Grif and Loki lead the Pac Pack so maybe its them who have passed on these habits Lol! It is probably my fault. I spoil all my frogs.

cambaker

hey Grif, do you know what kind of frog mine is? (the pictures above)

JIvoryII

C. cranwelli... Chaco Horned frog

22. This member thanks JIvoryII for this post:

Thread Information