Thread: Beetle Attached to Frog?

Animalnstinct

Default Beetle Attached to Frog?

Hi guys,

I'm hoping you can help me out quickly. I was walking into my house when a little guy jumped on my patio and I picked him up to move him out of reach of my dog. However, when I picked him up he tried jumping and I noticed this black thing on this leg and that he was barley using it. I thought it was some sort of injury but after closer examination I noticed it was some sort of beetle. I think the beetle is living off the poor frog and I would love to get rid of the pest for him. Any suggestions on a safe way to remove whatever it is?

Here is a picture of him and the beetle:

Name:  frog-beetle.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  73.4 KBName:  frog-beetle-2.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  80.1 KB

Thank you guys!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pluke

Default Re: Beetle Attached to Frog?

That is very strange.. it looks like a common black beetle but I'm not sure. I'd say touch it with a match (after lighting and blowing out) but I don't think that would work well on a beetle with a hard shell.. and stuff like alcohol or certain citrus juices usually work on some critters that attach themselves to skin, but I don't know how bad it would affect the toad. Maybe just killing the beetle by cutting it in half with small snippers or something might be the best option.. then remove it when it's dead. These are just some ideas I'm throwing out there, do whatever you think would be the best. I'm sure the toad will appreciate it no matter what you choose and toads are pretty hardy and their skin won't be irritated as easy as a frogs would.

EDIT: You know, maybe you could get a toothpick or something and put it between the beetles mandibles and pry its mouth open if it's big enough to fit. This might be the best option.. pry mouth open, fling it off. Possibly after killing it.. then again, in the process of killing the beetle may clench harder. Hopefully this is helpful, lol.

kimix

That is pretty bizarre. I think its random coincidence that its grabbed onto the toad. You can see the beetles head in the photo and he isnt biting the toad. So I think hes just grabbed on and not moving as self defense. Alot of insects will cling to whatever object and freeze when they feel threatened, and since the toad keeps moving, the beetle doesn't feel safe to let go. I expect if you watch a little while longer the beetle will just crawl off.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Its eating the toad slowly.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Animalnstinct View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm hoping you can help me out quickly. I was walking into my house when a little guy jumped on my patio and I picked him up to move him out of reach of my dog. However, when I picked him up he tried jumping and I noticed this black thing on this leg and that he was barley using it. I thought it was some sort of injury but after closer examination I noticed it was some sort of beetle. I think the beetle is living off the poor frog and I would love to get rid of the pest for him. Any suggestions on a safe way to remove whatever it is?

Here is a picture of him and the beetle:

Name:  frog-beetle.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  73.4 KBName:  frog-beetle-2.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  80.1 KB

Thank you guys!

Dump some water on the Toad or drop him in water and the Beatle will die.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hmmmm.. Very unusual. Best way to handle this is to jus sit the toad in some water. Enough to submerge the beetle so that it drowns. After the beetle dies and is removed rub some Original Neosporin that does NOT contain Painkiller. Just plain Neosporin. This will prevent any infection in the bite. I believe this beetle is sucking the toads blood rather than eating him. Just submerge the beetle and remove it when drown.

Thread Information