Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More questions

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default More questions

So I've got two more questions:

How much food should I feed my green tree frogs every feeding (I feed them two times a week)? A care sheet I have states offer only as many insects as the frog will eat overnight (my frogs usually eat about 7 to 9 crickets). I use this method for feeding crickets (I feed them in a separate container because I can't feed them in their terrarium: they escape). When I feed them small mealworms, I place about six in a bowl in their cage. Occasionally I offer waxworms (also, how often should I feed waxworms?).

Second, how should I clean the terrarium? Once a week I wipe down the glass, plants and decorations with a damp paper towel. About once every four months I change their eco earth and live moss. Is all this sufficient?

I would have loved to do more research on this, but I just don't know any other reliable websites...

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

NetworkLabs

Default Re: More questions

I guess your referring to another topic you have posted because I have noticed you didn't name your Species. For people who didn't read your other post, it is always recommended to post your Species so others know what kind of frog there dealing with. I would help you, but like I said, you need to post your frogs species!

Thanks,
    NetworkLabs

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry I accidentally forgot to post what species they are. They are American green tree frogs (already edited my post).

Rae

So I've got two more questions:

How much food should I feed my green tree frogs every feeding (I feed them two times a week)? Feed them daily if possible I would think 2 or 3 a night. (watch there weight if they get fat at 3 a night reduce to 2... too skinny use more) frogs in the wild eat daily if they can find food so it makes sense to feed daily.

A care sheet I have states offer only as many insects as the frog will eat overnight (my frogs usually eat about 7 to 9 crickets).I'd recommend reading the grey tree frog care sheet on this site. There care is pretty much the same as greys.

I use this method for feeding crickets (I feed them in a separate container because I can't feed them in their terrarium: they escape)If the crickets are escapeing try the glass bowl trick its awesome... crickets for some reason cannot get out of glass bowls (must be clean and dry). There are many posts dicusing this on here. Or you might be able to teach them too eat from tongs.

When I feed them small mealworms, I place about six in a bowl in their cage. Occasionally I offer waxworms (also, how often should I feed waxworms?). Be careful with this as meal worms are high in fat .... I know with greys they are only recommended as an occasional treat or when impacted. Crickets are the best recommended staple diet (make sure to gut load)

Second, how should I clean the terrarium? Once a week I wipe down the glass, plants and decorations with a damp paper towel. I clean the glass and items with a 50% water 50% vinegar solution and make sure it airs out and dries after.

About once every four months I change their eco earth and live moss. Is all this sufficient? I have heard monthly as well as some saying a few months. If it smells off or you see mold them you definaltely are waiting to long. Obviously do daily poop cleanups unless you have springtails doing it for you lol. Springtails can also help with mold and substrate so if you want to wait a few months between cleanings it might be a good idea to kelp you feel better about waiting so long.

I would have loved to do more research on this, but I just don't know any other reliable websites...
    ​This is the most reliable site I have found online XD

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

So how often should I feed mealworms? Crickets are their staple diet (I don't think I can feed them daily, so I'll keep going with the two times per week feeding), and I feed them mealworms once every two cricket feedings. Is this too much? And as I said, very occasionally I feed them wax worms.

Thanks for your reply!

Rae

Why do you own a pet if you cant feed it every day? 2 times a week isn't fair and I find quite cruel. a min of every other night at least if you cant manage nightly. If you are feeding them so scarcely then I would only feed then gut loaded, (also dusted with calcium/vitamins) crickets and forget about the meal worms... not a lot of nutrition there. Not sure about the fat or nutrition of wax worms.

Petra

Wow really you can't "manage" to feed it daily? Then don't own pets... hope you don't become a parent with that attitude...

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

The reason why I'm feeding them twice a week is because my care book says so (Green tree frog care by Philip Purser). I really want the best for my frogs, and I've trusted this care book since I've owned green tree frogs. I'm really trying to give them the best care I can, and they do seem healthy and active too.

Petra

"I don't think I can feed them daily, so I'll keep going with the two times per week feeding" was what you typed .... now you are saying something else but whatever. Just because they can survive on eating twice a week doesn't mean its the best course.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If your not going to listen to people then why ask? I have these frogs wild at my house and they eat nightly anything they can catch most of your "care guides" that are published are on outdated materiel age also plays a factor on how much should be fed
    -Tyler
    1-African BullFrog-Rex
    1-Bearded Dragon-Stubble
    1-Vield Chameleon-Pascal
    2-Green Iguanas- LeeRoy and Spike
    2- Sulcata Torts- Chunk and Scoot
    1-Argentine BWxRed Tegu-Kirby

Rae

I have never owned greens... I'm going by what I have read here and been told. I hope the best for your frogs... and hope its not just an inconvience to feed them more often. But you asked opinions and I gave you mine and others might have different or agree with you as well once they see this thread. Good luck...

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I'm not trying to argue with anyone, but I heard feeding them twice a week was the way to go (all my tree frog care sources said this). I'm sorry if I've frustrated some people here, but I simply didn't know any different. "Feeding them daily" is something completely knew which none of my sources have stated. I am extremely responsible (everyone I know says this), and I truly just want my frogs to be happy.

Nationality
    [United States]

Like I said most of your published material is outdated very new reptile books are new
    -Tyler
    1-African BullFrog-Rex
    1-Bearded Dragon-Stubble
    1-Vield Chameleon-Pascal

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

When I said "I don't think I can feed them daily", I simply meant putting crickets into their cage every single day. That does not mean that they have no food on the following days, because the crickets usually last for several days. The frogs don't eat them all in one day, so, they have food throughout the week! Even my vet, specialized on amphibians, said it would not be necessary to put crickets into the cage every single day. Since my book (it is not outdated, by the way) said to feed the frogs two times a week, I thought that would be enough. That does not mean they have no food on the other days! I am sorry some of you so much misunderstood. Believe me, I am a very caring and responsible person.

Nationality
    [United States]

feed what you feel is right others and I have simply stated our opinion i will say that keeping crickets in the enclosure is a bad thing it tends to stress the frogs out and ive seen more hardy REPTILES lose legs, toes or their lives to crickets before

stress being one of the top killers of most frogs is one of the primary reasons

Given what i have learned in MY studies ( attending school for herpetology) twice a week feeding seems very low this is MY OPINION on what i have read, been taught it may work for reptiles but you have to take into consideration the metabolism of them compared to amphibians most CAPTIVE amphibians don't really drop in temp so their body's metabolism doesn't slow as much as a reptile given that most frogs (including american green tree frogs) are nocturnal they rarely get below 80degrees so they do not slow down till hibernation time (doesn't come often in captivity) this is my reasoning as to why i think its to low of a feeding amount they may survive but not flourish.
    -Tyler
    1-African BullFrog-Rex
    1-Bearded Dragon-Stubble
    1-Vield Chameleon-Pascal

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you so much for your professional, helpful and friendly advice. After some of the other messages that had been posted I have to admit I felt a little discouraged. I will make the necessary changes. Thanks once again!

P.S. I will talk to my parents about what feeding method would be best for my frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

best way ive found for tree frogs is the glass bowl method
    -Tyler
    1-African BullFrog-Rex
    1-Bearded Dragon-Stubble
    1-Vield Chameleon-Pascal

Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Sanimal View Post
    When I said "I don't think I can feed them daily", I simply meant putting crickets into their cage every single day. That does not mean that they have no food on the following days, because the crickets usually last for several days. The frogs don't eat them all in one day, so, they have food throughout the week! Even my vet, specialized on amphibians, said it would not be necessary to put crickets into the cage every single day. Since my book (it is not outdated, by the way) said to feed the frogs two times a week, I thought that would be enough. That does not mean they have no food on the other days! I am sorry some of you so much misunderstood. Believe me, I am a very caring and responsible person.
    It is easy to misunderstand when one types one thing then changes it... as above you claim to be feeding them and leaving crickets in the cage HOWEVER.... in your first post you typed : I use this method for feeding crickets (I feed them in a separate container because I can't feed them in their terrarium: they escape). Which implies otherwise. Its very important on this site to be honest, clear, and detailed.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I was feeding them in a separate container, but now I changed that so now I place crickets in a bowl in their cage. I was being honest the entire time. I simply changed the feeding method.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

This thread is ridiculas! I'm sorry you got a bad rep for this. You shouldn't have.

MY OPINION:
    Everything that Rae said was right. I would take her advice on this. Since your still living at home with your parents I am going to recommend a trick for you since I know your parents wont go to the pet store to get your crickets EVERYDAY.

***Buy a cricket keeper and buy enough crickets at once to feed you the whole week (once per week) and that should be sufficent for you to feed daily. SO 2-3 crickets per each frog a day = 2 dozen (24 crickets) I would buy a little more to plan ahead for cricket deaths. One trip to pet store a week and easier for you to feed daily (WITH A GLASS FEEDING BOWL).***
    Here is one off amazon that is cheap and will be sufficient for the amount of frogs you have per week.
    CRICKET KEEPER

Also i didn't see anything about you dusting your crickets with Calcium D3 or vitamins. You should be dusting your crickets with calcium 3 times a week and one time a week with vitamins. It will help prevent certain disease and prolong the life of your frog.
    CALCIUM
    VITAMINS

Also Please look into feeding your crickets and watering them as well to prolong their life as well:
    CRICKET FOOD
    CRICKET WATER CRYSTALS

This may seem like a bit of money for you and or your parents...but in all seriousness all this stuff will last you well over 2-4 months for the frogs you have. I hope this helps and once again I'm sorry about your reputation. Learning the ropes doesn't deserve a bad reputation. I know you are not deliberately saying NO to Rae your just going off the care sheet recommendations. The PETCO care sheet says the same thing for this species, so don't be too upset. Rae is just been doing this for awhile =). I wish you all the luck with your little guys and please take our suggestions seriously. Your frog WILL eat daily.

Very Respectfully,

Corey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information