Thread: How many ACF's in a 180 gallon tank?

packer43064

Default How many ACF's in a 180 gallon tank?

Hi, I have a 180 gallon fish tank and it's all setup with pool filter sand and ready to go. I was planning on having stingrays and some other fish, but just haven't gotten to actually spending the money and buying the fish I truly want. I've always been into keeping ACF's though. I got my first one when I was 15. She is 8 years old now and very fat and with her other maybe 3 year old female companion. They literally sit on each other under the Whisper filter. I've bred her before and lays eggs often when I put colder water in their tank.

So I've always wanted a tank full ACF's and think it would be quite interesting to see them interact together. The tank is 6x2x2 feet. I know it's kind of deep, but I'm sure they live in deeper waters where they originate from.

Questions:
    1.How many could I put in here safely?

2. I know the whole filtration sounding like jackhammers to them is bogus. I have had them with filtration big and small and they seem perfectly fine. But since I was thinking of fish, I got a whole lot of filtration with it when I got the tank deal. It has over 11x turnover an hour. Over 2000gph. Do you think this would be too much? I could always take a few off and see how they like it besides the sump of course.

3. Do you think it's okay for them to breed often? I'm sure it's going to happen since I'm not planning on a one sex tank. I think it's good for the females to release their eggs whether it's mating or just releasing due to a stimulus(colder water) every year at least. I think it's natural even if they don't need to.

I think that's it for now. Just wondering how many to get. I even thought of siliconing plants to the side of the walls for more space since they like to rest often in different depths.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: How many ACF's in a 180 gallon tank?

Just want to clarify that this will be a frog only tank, sting rays and ACF are not going to work.

Other than that, 17/18 frogs wouldn't be out of question, maybe even a few more.
    Going by floor space first, then volume. Even with a large tank, the frogs still need to move freely.
    In my 4footer I often had a dozen frogs, sometimes 15.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

packer43064

Yep, just the frogs. Thanks for the answer!

I'm thinking of breeding the females instead of purchasing that many frogs. I'll just raise the tadpoles in the 180. Or at the very least raise them in a smaller tank until bigger than move them into the larger 180 tank.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Locally bread frogs are the better choice than store bought that are some times wild.

also your local pet shop may trade you for some. I.E equipment food stuffs .

I did that for years before ACF were banned in SC

Thread Information