Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not eating

AroseK

Default Not eating

The pacman frog i got almost a month ago is not eating now. I just did a whole clean to his tank and found a dead worm that smelt terrible do You think this could be why? The temp stays between 77 and 80 and hum stays between 75 and 78.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wizzlewuzzle

What are you feeding him (obviously worms, but what kind of worm? Anything besides worms?)? Are you dechlorinating his water, and any water you use to wet his substrate? What kind of substrate, btw? How long has it been since he last ate, and how long since he last pooped? How old is he? You've had him for a month, but was he a baby or what when you got him?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Not eating

Quote Originally Posted by AroseK View Post
    The pacman frog i got almost a month ago is not eating now. I just did a whole clean to his tank and found a dead worm that smelt terrible do You think this could be why? The temp stays between 77 and 80 and hum stays between 75 and 78.
    It needs to be 80° to 82° during the day and hover around 78° at night. Warm him up and don't panic yet. Especially if its only been a day or 2.

AroseK

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzlewuzzle View Post
    What are you feeding him (obviously worms, but what kind of worm? Anything besides worms?)? Are you dechlorinating his water, and any water you use to wet his substrate? What kind of substrate, btw? How long has it been since he last ate, and how long since he last pooped? How old is he? You've had him for a month, but was he a baby or what when you got him?
    Ive been trying to feed him night crawlers i was feeding him meal worms because i had no other food at the time but he was pooping fine and hes not inpacted. He pooped like three days ago but hasnt ate in like 5 days. I do dechlorinate his water and i use eco earth for substrate. I got my pacman frog from pet smart and i asked how old but they had no idea its a inch and a half when its soaked with water and a little over a inch with no soaked water in its skin. He or she looks lighter does that mean its going to shed soon?

Murray of the Deep

Ive been trying to feed him night crawlers i was feeding him meal worms because i had no other food at the time but he was pooping fine and hes not inpacted. He pooped like three days ago but hasnt ate in like 5 days. I do dechlorinate his water and i use eco earth for substrate. I got my pacman frog from pet smart and i asked how old but they had no idea its a inch and a half when its soaked with water and a little over a inch with no soaked water in its skin. He or she looks lighter does that mean its going to shed soon?
    try getting tweezers and place the worm on his mouth and rub it's what i do last time

Nationality
    [United States]

No not necessarily. Could be stress colors which would explain why he isn't eating. Do like I said and warm him up. Maintain 80% humidity and he should come around. Make sure his substrate is nice and moist. Post some pics of the enclosure and of the frog.

AroseK

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    No not necessarily. Could be stress colors which would explain why he isn't eating. Do like I said and warm him up. Maintain 80% humidity and he should come around. Make sure his substrate is nice and moist. Post some pics of the enclosure and of the frog.
    Name:  IMG_1228.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  128.1 KBName:  IMG_1229.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  145.9 KB It wouldnt eat again today i tried force feeding and i couldn't even get his mouth open that was prob a bad ideal. This is so nerve racking.

Nationality
    [United States]

Name:  IMG_1228.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  128.1 KBName:  IMG_1229.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  145.9 KB It wouldnt eat again today i tried force feeding and i couldn't even get his mouth open that was prob a bad ideal. This is so nerve racking.
    If he is stressed trying to force feed will stress him worse at this point. Give him a couple days to adjust to the new temps.

AroseK

Its still not eating idk what to do anymore.

cambaker

have you tried feeding him different things?

AroseK

Yes i have.

Pluke

One of my pacman refuses to take anything from a tong unless he sees it move freely on it's own first, he's weird. Have you tried just letting some crickets run freely in it's tank? Maybe he's scared of the tongs and prefers to hunt on his own. You've probably tried this but I'm just suggesting it anyway, I hope he eats for you. Also, rip the hind legs off the crickets so they can't jump making it much easier for your frog to catch them. Good luck with the little guy!

Nationality
    [United States]

Its still not eating I dont know what to do anymore.
    Sometimes if you mist the enclosure prior to offering food they will eat. You could try a warm pedialyte bath and see if it helps. sometimes they'll eat after have one of these medicated baths, but its not a foolproof solution to the problem. If you have any Repta-Aid(Repta-Boost) place a couple scoops in the pedialyte bath to provide some nutrients and vitamins to be absorbed so he isn't deprived completely of them. You'll want to do a second bath of just de-chlorinated water afterwards to rinse off the Repta-Aid(Repta-Boost) to prevent bacteria and fungi from growing on his skin.

Also from those photos I can't tell whether you have 3 sides of his enclosure covered. If not you need to do so. What kind of heating and lighting are you using? Do you have the lid of the enclosure covered 3/4 of the way with plastic wrap(Sarah Wrap) to hold in heat and humidity? Your gauges look like they're just leaning against the back wall of the enclosure. they should be elevated above the substrate by 1" to 1.5" so you get a more accurate average reading.

Try this and keep me posted.

AroseK

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Sometimes if you mist the enclosure prior to offering food they will eat. You could try a warm pedialyte bath and see if it helps. sometimes they'll eat after have one of these medicated baths, but its not a foolproof solution to the problem. If you have any Repta-Aid(Repta-Boost) place a couple scoops in the pedialyte bath to provide some nutrients and vitamins to be absorbed so he isn't deprived completely of them. You'll want to do a second bath of just de-chlorinated water afterwards to rinse off the Repta-Aid(Repta-Boost) to prevent bacteria and fungi from growing on his skin.

Also from those photos I can't tell whether you have 3 sides of his enclosure covered. If not you need to do so. What kind of heating and lighting are you using? Do you have the lid of the enclosure covered 3/4 of the way with plastic wrap(Sarah Wrap) to hold in heat and humidity? Your gauges look like they're just leaning against the back wall of the enclosure. they should be elevated above the substrate by 1" to 1.5" so you get a more accurate average reading.

Try this and keep me posted.
    I don't have all three corners covered and i dont have the plastic wrap. On thursday i will buy the repta aid and is pedialyte bath stuff . I will get all of this on thursday i have a 50 watt light that i put over him maybe an hr a day i have to prop it up because part of my lid is plastic im thinking of switching to a heat pad or buying a new lid thats all metal the temp stay 79 all the time so i donbt use it a lot because it dries all the top moister. I will prop the temp and hum up though. any other suggestion on when i work to keep the temp and hum at a steady temp? Or will the plastic wrap work?

Nationality
    [United States]

I don't have all three corners covered and i dont have the plastic wrap. On thursday i will buy the repta aid and is pedialyte bath stuff . I will get all of this on thursday i have a 50 watt light that i put over him maybe an hr a day i have to prop it up because part of my lid is plastic im thinking of switching to a heat pad or buying a new lid thats all metal the temp stay 79 all the time so i donbt use it a lot because it dries all the top moister. I will prop the temp and hum up though. any other suggestion on when i work to keep the temp and hum at a steady temp? Or will the plastic wrap work?
    Plastic wrap only works to extend the length of time the moisture from misting remains in the air before being burned off by the light and escaping through your lid. Look into buying a Zoo Med Reptifogger and hook it up to a timer so you can have it turn on and off periodically throughout the day or purchase a Zoo Med Hygrotherm Temp/Humidity Control Unit and hook the Reptifogger up to the Hygrotherm so it can control the climate for you. I would look into these units. They can be a life saver.

AroseK

I read the thread again and by pedialyte bath do you mean giving a frog a bath in repta aid ? lol sorry im confused.

AroseK

Yea i saw one at pet smart it was so expensive!

Nationality
    [United States]

I read the thread again and by pedialyte bath do you mean giving a frog a bath in repta aid ? lol sorry im confused.
    Both. Go to the baby isle in the grocery store and buy some UNFLAVORED PEDIALYTE. It must be UNFLAVORED. prepare the bath at a 10 to 1 ratio. So for every 10 ounces of Luke warm de-chlorinated water add 1 ounce UNFLAVORED PEDIALYTE. Put one scoop of the Repta-Aid(Repta-Boost) in the bath and stir it in. Then place the frog in the bath and soak for 20 minutes. Then prepare a second bath of just Luke warm de-chlorinated water to rinse the Repta-Aid(Repta-Boost) off. Any bath you prepare should never be deeper than to to the frogs chin.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yea i saw one at pet smart it was so expensive!
    Go to Amazon.com for either units. You can usually find them cheaper. I found a Hygrotherm unit for $45.00 once.

AroseK

Thanks So much you have been very helpful! I will get back to you in a couple of days and let you know how everything goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information