Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help! Frog may be impacted

lovenokia

Default Re: Help! Frog may be impacted

okay, is the impaction looking any better? the hump seems to be going more towards the but right now from what i am able to see.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

If there has been movement that is a good sign. I want to see a picture of the poop when it comes out.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by lovenokia View Post
    okay, is the impaction looking any better? the hump seems to be going more towards the but right now from what i am able to see.
    Keep up the soaks and keep us posted.

lovenokia

Well, frog is still impacted , no poop and I still see the big lump, I am getting a little worried now. Though it seems that the impaction may have moved be closer to the butt, I don't think it moved much yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Nationality
    [United States]

Well, frog is still impacted , no poop and I still see the big lump, I am getting a little worried now. Though it seems that the impaction may have moved be closer to the butt, I don't think it moved much yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Sometimes it takes a while Keep up with the soaks and be patient. If he doesn't pass the impact in the next 2 or 3 days you may have to seek out a Herp Vet and see if you can get some liquid laxatives to help pass the blockage. You can try force feeding him a dose if the Repta-Aid(Repta-Boost). A lot of the time it will help pass an impaction.

lovenokia

GOOD NEWS! Turns out my frog ingested large amounts of the cocofiber, and the hump of the side of my frog has shrunk tremendously. Currently I am seeing coco fiber coming out of the butt at this moment. The soakings helped a lot. I think from now on I will only feed on paper towels and do away with feeding on the substrate.

lovenokia

pic update
    Attached Images Attached Images  

lovenokia

I know how this happened now, when I was feeding crickets to my frog, sometimes he/she would miss and it looked like it was chewing something after it missed. I didn't think that it was eating the substrate the entire time! Well for all you new froggers like myself, i recommend to feed in paper towels if you are gonna be using crickets.

lovenokia

My frog still has some ways to poop, felt the side of his/her tummy and it is still firm, just the lump is a lot smaller now.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by jeromeetabuzo View Post
    i agree with grif my frog died also because of that , sorry for your loss , and also grif can you clean some of your pm messages i cant send you any pms
    Its not an issue if you teach your frog go tong feed. You shouldn't just out right recommend something based on one experience you have had and coco fiber doesn't cause impaction UNLESS it wasn't properly loosened or the frog ingest a large fiber that is hard and not soft. I never use paper towels. The only other way coco fiber causes impaction isn't because of the fiber itself, but from debris found in it that need to be removed after expansion by sifting through with your fingers.

Look for stones, pieces of plastic, hard fibers, sticks and twigs, seeds, and other plant matter like leaves and grass.

lovenokia

Well, something caused the impaction, I saw coco fiber coming out, the lump is smaller now but still isn't cleared out. Maybe it was the mealworms, I won't doubt it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Well, something caused the impaction, I saw coco fiber coming out, the lump is smaller now but still isn't cleared out. Maybe it was the mealworms, I won't doubt it.
    It could have been a few thing, but its hard to tell. Hopefully its just slightly constipated. Full blown impaction is bad and usually is very difficult to pass because its usually caused by something that cannot be digested such as stones, bark, eat.

connor111699

I hope they'll be ok!

lovenokia

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    It could have been a few thing, but its hard to tell. Hopefully its just slightly constipated. Full blown impaction is bad and usually is very difficult to pass because its usually caused by something that cannot be digested such as stones, bark, eat.
    okay, hopefully I can avoid this next time.

Nationality
    [United States]

okay, hopefully I can avoid this next time.
    Tong feeding is best, but you can just drop chunks of worm in front of him when you can feed him after the impaction passes. This way he isn't missing so much.

TeeRiddle

My Pac is *slowly* learning to tong feed, but doesn't always feed from the tongs. When he shys away from the tongs I use some playing cards as "plates".

Basically, I had a brand new box of playing cards that I never used. I take a card out and wash it thoroughly with warm dechlorinated water, dry it off, then set it in front of him at feeding time. I then place a dusted nightcrawler piece on the card and once it wiggles a couple times he snatches it off the card.

I do this for a couple reasons - to prevent the dusted worm from picking up pieces of substrate and to prevent the worm from making a mess in the terrarium.

Once I'm done feeding him I take the card out and wash it thoroughly again (to remove all the yucky, slimy worm gunk) and reuse it the next day or next feeding.

It works pretty good in my situation. If your frog lurches at any little movement in front of it this may not be a great solution because it will probably go after you and the card when you set it in. If you have a more cautious frog like mine it might work well.

The only issue I've ever had doing this is one time Orion lunged forward and stepped on the edge of the card flipping the card over and dumping worm parts on his head. It was like something from The Three Stooges. Quite comical

Maybe you could try something like this to feed your Pac worms without the worry of it accidentally gulping some substrate.

lovenokia

Tong feeding is best, but you can just drop chunks of worm in front of him when you can feed him after the impaction passes. This way he isn't missing so much.
    this frog isn't a problem feeder, just even if I put tongue in front of his mouth he will snatch the tongue. I have to be careful tongue feeding, I found a plastic tongue feeder at petco but still have the metal one which is longer, one but I still didn't get a chance to get a rubber tipped one.

lovenokia

Quote Originally Posted by TeeRiddle View Post
    My Pac is *slowly* learning to tong feed, but doesn't always feed from the tongs. When he shys away from the tongs I use some playing cards as "plates".

Basically, I had a brand new box of playing cards that I never used. I take a card out and wash it thoroughly with warm dechlorinated water, dry it off, then set it in front of him at feeding time. I then place a dusted nightcrawler piece on the card and once it wiggles a couple times he snatches it off the card.

I do this for a couple reasons - to prevent the dusted worm from picking up pieces of substrate and to prevent the worm from making a mess in the terrarium.

Once I'm done feeding him I take the card out and wash it thoroughly again (to remove all the yucky, slimy worm gunk) and reuse it the next day or next feeding.

It works pretty good in my situation. If your frog lurches at any little movement in front of it this may not be a great solution because it will probably go after you and the card when you set it in. If you have a more cautious frog like mine it might work well.

The only issue I've ever had doing this is one time Orion lunged forward and stepped on the edge of the card flipping the card over and dumping worm parts on his head. It was like something from The Three Stooges. Quite comical

Maybe you could try something like this to feed your Pac worms without the worry of it accidentally gulping some substrate.
    Thanks, I will have to try the method you recommend. My frog snatches at any cricket in front of him, though it never even once tried to bite my finger even though it was in front of his mouth more time than not.

connor111699

Quote Originally Posted by TeeRiddle View Post

Thats an awesime idea tthanks for sharing!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Its not an issue if you teach your frog go tong feed. You shouldn't just out right recommend something based on one experience you have had and coco fiber doesn't cause impaction UNLESS it wasn't properly loosened or the frog ingest a large fiber that is hard and not soft. I never use paper towels. The only other way coco fiber causes impaction isn't because of the fiber itself, but from debris found in it that need to be removed after expansion by sifting through with your fingers.

Look for stones, pieces of plastic, hard fibers, sticks and twigs, seeds, and other plant matter like leaves and grass.

Coco fiber can most certainly cause impaction, and its not the first time ive seen or heard of it. In fact, the only source that I have seen that is promoting the idea that it is digestable is the companies that are selling who can say whatever they want because there is no regulatory commision to stop them from making any statement they would like. I have heard of reptiles being found dead with coco fiber in their throat, dying from impaction due to ingesting it and so on. ANY loose substrate that can get in their mouth can cause an impaction no matter what it is.
    I think Lovenokias suggestion is spot on, and most authors and experienced herp keepers will suggest that Pacman Frogs are best fed on a smooth bare surface to avoid ingestion of substrate.

Coco fiber may offer a LOWER possibility of impaction by ingestion, but it doesnt outright rule out the possibility by any means.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information