Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacman Frog

DorkiTimmy

Default Pacman Frog

Hey guys I been Doing My research On pacman frog and breeding and i was wondering if anyone has any other tip all i learned so far is some stuff about not misting your frog for 3weeks in its enclosure what about feeding no feeding for 3 weeks? then after you may put the 2 frogs together in a shallow water tank and wait how long? keep it in there how long? And i was wondering anyone else around Orange County Or Garden Grove Ca 92843 that owns a pacman frog and was to be frog buddy Heres a picture of mine im not sure if its just a normal green pacman frog or Is it an Ornate pacman frog. Heres a picture of him or her

b6b467eb.jpg picture by DorkiTimmy - Photobucket

i got him at petsmart when he was the size of a quater had him for about 4-6months by now and how are ornate more difficult to breed? sigh i wanna get an bright yellow albino pacman frog but i havnt found any yet around orange county garden grove 92843

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Pacman Frog

Its far more complicated than that, especially the aestivation period or "cycling." You also have to consider light cycles, temperature cycles, cooling and warming cycles, feeding cycles, sexing the frogs, identifying readiness to breed in females, constructing a proper rain chamber. Then you have water chemistry, feeding tadpoles, housing hundreds and hundreds of frogs, preventing cannibalism, and then finally selling the actual frogs.

You have an Ornate Horned Frog there, which are more difficult to breed.

lumpbump

My research on horned frogs leads me down the road of not for me to breed. You can find good books, caresheets, and great info on this website if you take the time required. Actually a google search of "horned frog care" found me this website via a link in a thread of a caresheet with detailed info on breeding horned frogs. I think its something like get a healthy boy and a girl of sexual maturity, stimulate the cool dry season and let them follow their instincts to bruminate for two months minimum, simulate the rainy season, after they wake up put em in an appropriate mostly aquatic environment and let them be frogs, then if all goes well you get to take care of a lot of tadpoles!

DorkiTimmy

Hey what kinda frogs do you guys have you should post your pictures here and if you live in garden grove you should let me know haha

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It is going to take a lot of research and preparation to breed... I would recommend focusing on general husbandry and keep them for at least a year before you attempt breeding.

DorkiTimmy

Yea I Had Mine for 4-6months already i was just mentally preparing if i should breed in the future or not and the difficulty time money dedication for it so yea. Im just sure i can provide the food for the new hatchlings and the space needed for them the only problem is how to breed and not let them eat each other is what im most afraid of. how hard for an albino and a ornate breed together

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DorkiTimmy View Post
    Yea I Had Mine for 4-6months already i was just mentally preparing if i should breed in the future or not and the difficulty time money dedication for it so yea. Im just sure i can provide the food for the new hatchlings and the space needed for them the only problem is how to breed and not let them eat each other is what im most afraid of. how hard for an albino and a ornate breed together
    Very, very difficult. They are two different species. Albinos are Cranwellis. A cross between an Ornate and a Cranwelli is called an Orwell, but they are rare. And I have never heard of one from an Albino crossed with an Ornate. It is hard enough to get two. Ornate to breed. A lot of breeders end up using hormones. You would be better off to start with breeding Cranwells.

DorkiTimmy

Hmm i wish to buy some albinos around her in garden grove 92843 for a cheap price lower then 25 dollars whats the difference between ornate and a green pacman frog anyways and also i thought green or ornate pacman frog are common since most place has green and 2nd most are albinos :O

Nationality
    [United States]

Hmm i wish to buy some albinos around her in garden grove 92843 for a cheap price lower then 25 dollars whats the difference between ornate and a green pacman frog anyways and also i thought green or ornate pacman frog are common since most place has green and 2nd most are albinos :O
    There is not a species called a Green Pacman. There are Green morphs of nearly each species. You need to do a lot of research. There are 8 species that are known and they are as follows;

Ceratophrys Aurita
    Ceratophrys Calcarata
    Ceratophrys Cornuta
    Ceratophrys Cranwelli
    Ceratophrys Joazeirensis(Caatinga)
    Ceratophrys Ornata
    Ceratophrys Stolzmani(Pacific)
    Ceratophrys Testudo

A few are rare or not available so do your research. You have a long way before you will be capable of breeding these frogs. Also Pacman is their name for the Pet Trade. They are actually called Horned Frogs.

11. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

DorkiTimmy

Lol yea as you can see im trying to research atm asking people on a frog page about question i just seen ornate albino and green from some pet store and reptile store so i do not know and i tried search the species and color variation but didnt not come upon much information about it and also breeding i couldnt find more information but if species and the name and type of frog plays a big role in breeding ill try my best to research and learn thankyou

Namio

whats the difference between ornate and a green pacman frog anyways and also i thought green or ornate pacman frog are common since most place has green and 2nd most are albinos :O
    I think the term "Green Pacman" is usually referring to a green phase Cranwelli. If it's an Ornata usually people call it "Ornate Pacman" instead of just green pacman. So in a way "Green Pacman" is somewhat synonymous with Cranwelli.

DorkiTimmy

wtf LOl the guy up there said yellow albinos are cranwelli and ornate is just... so confused now LMFAO

Nationality
    [United States]

wtf LOl the guy up there said yellow albinos are cranwelli and ornate is just... so confused now LMFAO
    The Yellow Albinos are a Color morph of C. Cranwelli. They are not a different species nor are they true Albinos. They are what is called Melanistic which means they lack certain dark color pigments within their skin. True Albinos are milky pale white with red or pink eyes. The Yellow Albino is only part Albino due to them receiving the pink and red eyes. There are also different color Morphs and Phases of the Yellow Albino like Lime Green Albinos and Strawberry Albinos.

Research, Research, RESEARCH!!!

DorkiTimmy

i see i see Then which species of horned frogs/pacman frog would be the easiest to breed in your opinion or the easiest to get? start off with i still have long way to go i understand researching now

lovenokia

I live near garden grove area

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

DorkiTimmy

Oh really how many pacman frog do you own colors and picture hahaha?

lovenokia

Well ATM the moment just one pacman I believe just over a month in age. By I am planning on getting an ornate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

DorkiTimmy

Oh I have an ornate pacman frog if you click on the photobucket up there you should see him what color is the pacman you have now and where do you get your pacman frog or planning to get the 2nd one at?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    The Yellow Albinos are a Color morph of C. Cranwelli. They are not a different species nor are they true Albinos. They are what is called Melanistic which means they lack certain dark color pigments within their skin. True Albinos are milky pale white with red or pink eyes. The Yellow Albino is only part Albino due to them receiving the pink and red eyes. There are also different color Morphs and Phases of the Yellow Albino like Lime Green Albinos and Strawberry Albinos.

Research, Research, RESEARCH!!!
    I thought they were true albinos if they had the red eyes, mine has red eyes and so did the one I owned years ago.
    Wrong there about Melanism. Melanism is when the animal has alot of dark pigment, so a melanistic frog would probably be more blue or seafoam green. Its the blue pigment that the albino frogs do not have, making them appear yellow. They are still albinos. SOme albinos have terra cotta coloration and light reds. They are still true albinos, but they are not albinos if they have black eyes, such as the leucistic mutants. Leucism and melanism are both completely different phenomena than albinism.

Albino Cranwelli are albinos. In simplest terms, the pigments blue and yellow make green and if you take out the blue you typically get an albino, if you take out the yellow you would have a melanistic blue frog and if you took out all pigment in the skin you would have white leucistic frog with black eyes and a clear belly. One could argue that the Samurai Blues are Melanistic and the black eyed mutants are leucistic. Hopefully these traits become established through time without genetic defects the way that the albino morph has. I have heard of more than a few instances of Albino Pacman frogs coming from Green parents, which would mean that the albino trait was in the family history, probably the result of breeding albinos with Greens. It would be cool if the blue form and the black eyed mutant could become established in the same manner.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I currently own two Green Pacmans, one baby Brown Pacman, one large female albino Pacman, and Ornate Horned Frog, a beutiful male Fantasy Frog, a Budgett's Frog and an African Bullfrog. I plan to get some Samurai Blues and a couple more Ornates in the Future.

I lucked out when I bought my first three Pacmans, getting a female albino and two Green males. I plan on breeding them when they are sexually mature and ready.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information