Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Please Help! Really Concerned!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Ohhh... Hmmm. You can take him with you?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

IvoryReptiles

Default Re: Please Help! Really Concerned!

Quote Originally Posted by sarahanita View Post
    I have calcium supplements for my other reptiles, one with D3 and one without D3, I didn't see the moss as an issue right now seeing as he is and has always been a picky eater, barely ever snapping at anything. When he gets his strength back and starts eating well I will take the moss out. The liquid I posted is supposed to go in drinking water but I figured since they absorb through their skin as well a bath with a little might make a difference? I'm not sure. I'm torn between leaving him alone for the day, giving him a bath with the supplement, or trying to get him to eat the food with a bit of calcium mixed in
    Yeah, you're not arguing with advice from someone who knows....................
    I wasn't trying to "attack" you, I was trying to help with advice and you just took it wrong.......I'm still not attacking, just pointing out that you are arguing.

GET RID OF THE MOSS NOW. Impaction is not the only issue with it.....as Bruce stated, it could have chemicals in it that are basically poisoning your frog.
    The advice given to you so far has been explained.......and you are STILL questioning it. We are trying our best to help your frog.
    The pet store that doesn't treat the water....they usually have special filtration systems because they carry fish and they NEED treated water, so to keep costs under control, it is better for the store to run filtered water through the whole system. As a private owner, you do not have this system in place so you MUST treat the water. I sincerely am trying to help you.

lumpbump

Quote Originally Posted by IvoryReptiles View Post
    Yeah, you're not arguing with advice from someone who knows....................
    I wasn't trying to "attack" you, I was trying to help with advice and you just took it wrong.......I'm still not attacking, just pointing out that you are arguing.

GET RID OF THE MOSS NOW. Impaction is not the only issue with it.....as Bruce stated, it could have chemicals in it that are basically poisoning your frog.
    The advice given to you so far has been explained.......and you are STILL questioning it. We are trying our best to help your frog.
    The pet store that doesn't treat the water....they usually have special filtration systems because they carry fish and they NEED treated water, so to keep costs under control, it is better for the store to run filtered water through the whole system. As a private owner, you do not have this system in place so you MUST treat the water. I sincerely am trying to help you.
    Rofl I think you guys are great. If it wasn't for your compassion for the frogs we all have I wonder if you would be so persistent in helping someone that appears to pick and choose what they think is the problem...

sarahanita

I'm not arguing, I'm questioning. However now I am arguing. The pet store does not use filtered water they use tap water, I know because I volunteer there, also they do not carry fish.
    I'm done with this issue and I only care about treating whats wrong with him, my set up is fine.
    I have been soaking in the calcium and electrolyte last night and again tonight, I think it might be helping even after one soak, I couldn't tell 100% because of the dirt on him but I am pretty sure his mouth is closed and he seems to have more strength.

Nationality
    [United States]

So you'll listen to half of our advice which has helped your frog but refuse to change the enclosure or care you give to prevent the same problem or other problems from occurring?

sarahanita

If the problem is in fact calcium which it seems to be nothing else is an issue.

morgan

Unsubscribed....can't take it

Nationality
    [United States]

You're right, however the advice we are giving you is to PREVENT you having to one back here with a sick frog and us having to figure out what you did wrong now.

Anyone can open a petstore or own a pet, that does not mean they know anything about the animals they are selling or know how to properly care or an animal.

sarahanita

I appreciate the advice I am being given and I am taking it all into consideration, however apparently people need to remember that it is ADVICE, and that doesn't mean I have to follow every single word people tell me on here. Frankly is people followed everything they were told on forums we would have a lot more dead pets. I am comfortable with my decision on the enclosure and seeing as I have 2 other frogs in the same settings, and know a reptile store owner (WHO CARES ABOUT THEIR PETS) and other people who keep them in the same conditions I am ok with how it is.

Nationality
    [United States]

You're right, when it comes down to it it is just advice, and some people on forums are wrong. However I've kept frogs a lot longer than you, and the others chiming in have kept frogs longer than me. We are not giving you this advice off of "I feel like I should tell her to do this today...". It's from years of experience and trial and error.

You can do as you'd like, but expect problems such as impaction, water retention, and toxing out syndrome, to name a few.

sarahanita

All those symptoms are going to happen because I have a tiny pinch of moss? Doubtful.

Nationality
    [United States]

That's just the impaction, and not very doubtful of eaten, quite probably on tw contrary.

Water retention due to chlorine in the water, toxing out due to heavy metals in the water and possible fertilizers/pesticides in the peat moss (do not tell me none of these are in your water, you said you're in a city, that automatically means chlorine. Heavy metals come from piping with all water flows through).

sarahanita

The levels in the water are fine. It has been used for years on pacman frogs in this city and they are fine. Also I believe I mentioned the peatmoss is fertilizer/pesticide free (if I didn't I meant to)

Nationality
    [United States]

The levels in the water are measured and deemed safe for humans, no amphibians. The foolish owners in your city are in fact slowly killing their frogs. Toxing out is not something that happens over night, it builds up over time.

The peat may be free of toxins, however the risk of impaction is still high. Believe me, I've made the same exact mistake when I started. It was labeled as frog moss, so I assumed this is what I needed. After researching and learning from this forum, I saw my errors and corrected them very easily to prevent an issue.

This is all prevention efforts we're giving you. It's the same reason you brush your teeth, to PREVENT cavities, it's a PREVENTION we take to ensure healthy teeth later on. This is the same concept with treating you water and using proper substrate.

sarahanita

Thank you I am aware but as I said I am comfortable with my choice. Just because it is right for some, or even most, doesn't mean it is right for everyone. I have reptiles that people say "oh no don't keep them on sand they'll get an impaction" but I do, and they're fine. Yes the risk is there but it is a personal choice and the responsibility is on me I know. I don't feed in the enclosure and he is a picky eater anyway, the chances of him trying to eat the moss are very slim. I am done arguing the water as well since I know it is used on all the animals I own, as well as all the animals anyone I know or have ever talked to in this city.

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright I was going to hold my tongue, but you obviously don't really want assistance. YOU have come here for help and are saying that you are considering it. IF you knew exactly what you needed to do in this situation you wouldn't be here asking us. ANY experiences keeper knows that tap water must be treated. To assume it is safe is foolish. Believe me as an experienced keeper who has brought one back from near death and not to mention the breeders who re offering their assistance as well.

Don't argue with advice that was offered or a treatment that you were told to use to help your frog. You need to stop being on the defensive and take steps to heal your pet with what we have provided. If not its your choice, but don't expect us to keep trying if you yourself won't take action.

Nationality
    [United States]

Well this is a shining example of how you put your own selfish needs before the well being of the animals, very sadly, in your care.

I was never arguing, merely proving a point. I can wish the best of luck for your animals, and hope we don't see you back here with another sick animal.

sarahanita

You guys are arguing just as much as I am, all I am saying is that I am taking the advice into consideration but no one seems to register the part where I said I AM OK WITH MY CHOICES. I was looking for help on what is wrong with him and got it, the other things are none of your concern.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, we understand the YOU are ok with your choices, you've said it 100 times. What we are trying to explain is that you pets will NOT be OK with your choices.

sarahanita

How do YOU know? Like I said I know many people who do/have done/and will continue doing what I do with NO ISSUES. yet that seems to be irrelevant to you.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information