Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Help! Really Concerned!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Trust me, you will only run into problems if you don't treat their water.

This is what I use, you only use a few drops each time and lasts a long time
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345044980.804066.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  89.8 KB

Second, you may want to consider removing the moss completely. Long strands like that can cause impaction. Even if you feed outside of the tank, these frogs have been known to snap at anything that slightly moves, including the moss. I would suggest completely cleaning out the enclosure to ensure there is no chemicals and replacing it with eco earth.

My adult female's set up.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345045133.230391.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  72.6 KB

The product you're showing is for oral use I believe... You can use some, I'm sure it won't hurt, just read the instructions.

This is what I use for all of my frogs, I swear by the stuff.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345045247.215910.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  74.9 KB

I would seriously consider making these changes, they can only help at this point.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

After reading that bottle again, I don't think it has calcium in it? If not I wouldn't use it, I think I would only stress him out and at his small size, run the risk of toxing him out.

sarahanita

Default Re: Please Help! Really Concerned!

I have calcium supplements for my other reptiles, one with D3 and one without D3, I didn't see the moss as an issue right now seeing as he is and has always been a picky eater, barely ever snapping at anything. When he gets his strength back and starts eating well I will take the moss out. The liquid I posted is supposed to go in drinking water but I figured since they absorb through their skin as well a bath with a little might make a difference? I'm not sure. I'm torn between leaving him alone for the day, giving him a bath with the supplement, or trying to get him to eat the food with a bit of calcium mixed in

Nationality
    [United States]

I would soak him with that supplement then. Just be sure to treat the water! And definitely at some point swap out the frog moss for exo earth.

sarahanita

I am currently soaking him and he is doing what he did last night that has me worried. Every few minutes he does this (see video). is it normal? is he drinking?
    Wasabi - YouTube

arielgasca420

See if you can contact GrifftheGreat. He usually suggests an unflavored pedialyte soak, but what you have may be sufficient. the honey that was suggested is also a very good idea, but I am not sure if raw honey is better because it does not have chemicals and it is not processed.
    there is a brand of calcium supplement and it is supposed to be a "life saver" product. The brand name is drawing a blank for me right now,but when I can remember I will let you know right away.
    I just wanted to ad that pet stores can some times have a very good facade. Someone who is new to frogs may think the enclosure looks nice, but someone who is novice will see that everything is wrong. Pet store workers are human and therfore make mistakes from time to time.
    I wouldnt blame yourself or think that anyone is attacking you. we all love frogs on here and sometimes get emotional when we hear and see one suffering.

Nationality
    [United States]

All advice you've been given is spot on and needs to be followed without question. If his mouth is open and he can't close it then why are you not supporting his head to keep it out of the water?

You must ALWAYS treat the water used for your frogs especially if its well water or tap water. Assuming that it is fine is foolish. The chemicals and heavy metals are very detrimental to their health and will poison them. Lack of a calcium supplement within the frogs diet is the culprit here. I would also go out and buy some Fluker's Repta-Aid(Repta-Boost) and use it orally and place a two scoops in his bath. Buy some UNFLAVORED PEDIALYTE and prepare a bath at a 10 to 1 ratio. So for every 10 ounces of Luke warm DE-CHLORINATED WATER add one ounce of UNFLAVORED PEDIALYTE. add two scoops of the Repta-Aid(Repta-Boost) to the bath and while you support him be sure to pour a little over his back as well. Soak fir 20 minutes After that bath have a second bath prepared of only Luke warm DE-CHLORINATED WATER to rinse the Repta-Aid(Repta-Boost) off his skin. so no bacteria or fungus tries to grow on his skin. Repeat this bath every other day and keep us updated on his progress.

arielgasca420

repti-aid! thats the product I was thinking of

sarahanita

It's not that im questioning the advice I just like to know why I am doing what I am doing. For example what will this bath stuff do? What happens if the only store in the area does not carry repta-aid?

arielgasca420

from what I have read previously the unflavored pedialyte will provide electrolytes for the frog giving a sort of energy boost. the honey is a natural cure for humans and animals. raw honey serves as an antibacterial and provides vitamins for the skin. It is good for animals (and people like me) with very sensitive skin.
    If you cannot find it at the store than utilize the resource of online shopping. I know you can find it on amazon so there should be no further difficulty to obtain this product

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by sarahanita View Post
    It's not that im questioning the advice I just like to know why I am doing what I am doing. For example what will this bath stuff do? What happens if the only store in the area does not carry repta-aid?
    The bath will provide electrolytes, vitamins, calcium, and nutrients that your frog is lacking as of now. It will provide a boost of energy and assist in your frogs recovery. Honey does as Ariel said and also acts as a natural laxative.

When you get the Repta-Aid(Repta-Boost) For oral doseing follow the chart that comes with it for proper doseing. Two scoops in the bath as per my directions. Try this and keep us posted.

Nationality
    [United States]

idk if you have well or city water, but I wouldn't trust even treated well water for my frog. In addition to metals that water purifiers might not get out, well water can have CRAZY high bacterial concentrations. I've done lab tests on well samples, and I would seriously worry about it causing infection in a frog with a weak immune system.

Next time you soak your frog support its head or something... If it's got MBD to the point it can't keep its jaw closed and has weak legs that can't hold it up correctly, I'd worry about water getting into its respiratory system.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

The person who doesn't treat the water is the owner of a pet store who has had many frogs with no issue, but I will look into a conditioner. Here is a picture of the enclosure, I also have this water additive I'm wondering if you think giving him a bath with a bit of this might help? Attachment 37110Attachment 37111

The terrarium looks completely soaked, its hould be moist, not soaked or it becomes unhealthy. Most people will tell you to take the moss out because of impaction risk. I use moss but clear all of the moss away from the frog before feeding.
    Thats a supplement not a water conditioner, but yes, soak it in that solution to help it back to health.

lumpbump

The person who doesn't treat the water is the owner of a pet store who has had many frogs with no issue, but I will look into a conditioner. Attachment 37110Attachment 37111
    Sorry your frog is sick, but just be careful and do as these guys recommend. They have lots of experience which is why your asking them. Sometimes pet stores are more focused on making money than keeping animals properly. Also there may be factors you don't know about such as the untreated water may be well or spring water he has access to not tap. Either way I hope your frog gets better and you get a definitive cause so you may adjust your husbandry/ care so it doesn't happen again.

sarahanita

Talked to someone experienced with pacman frogs here and was advised to give soaks with calcium and the liquid i posted earlier. I started this tonight although I doubt it will make a difference. He seems pretty much dead already. When I pick him up he doesn't move :'(

Nationality
    [United States]

There is still a chance at recovery. I'm not sure how I missed your post, but follow the above advice and he may pull through. Trust me, through advice here and my vet I have now recovered 6 frogs ill from the pet store and another heading in that direction with the start of symptoms from low calcium. It only took my pac 3 days for the tetany to stop with soaks and calcium supplements.

Good luck! We are hoping for you! You can still pull him through this.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    There is still a chance at recovery. I'm not sure how I missed your post, but follow the above advice and he may pull through. Trust me, through advice here and my vet I have now recovered 6 frogs ill from the pet store and another heading in that direction with the start of symptoms from low calcium. It only took my pac 3 days for the tetany to stop with soaks and calcium supplements.

Good luck! We are hoping for you! You can still pull him through this.
    Heather and everyone else here has experienced similar situations, myself included. Everyone makes mistakes, it's part of learning, but mistakes can be corrected! I have a good feeling that your little buddy will pull through if you follow our advice, and you'll have gaine valuable knowledge to prevent this issue again in the future

Best of luck!

sarahanita

I woke up this morning thinking he was dead, he was half on his back. When I went to check on him though his back legs moved quite a bit trying to right himself. Can I do the calcium soak twice a day or is that too much? Also I have a problem I am leaving the city tomorrow for a few days and don't have anyone here who can take care of him, would it be better to leave him for a few days, or bring him on an hour long bus trip?

Nationality
    [United States]

Just do the soaks once a day for about 20 minutes. I would take him with you. That might be tough though. Maybe your vet could take him and do the treatments while your away?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

sarahanita

1 as a student I can't afford to take him to the vet and 2 my vet is located in the city i am travelling to.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information