Thread: Night Crawlers

AroseK

Default Night Crawlers

I'm going to give you the whole run down. I bought my pacman frog from petsmart they gave me meal worms to feed it (at the time i didn't know that they would impact him) and i had been feeding it them since i spent the rest of of my pay check on every thing for the frog. But there has been no impaction and my pacman was pooing just fine. but I bought it the red wigglyys ( they said their small earthworms) i cant get my frog to eat them. So i just bought some night crawlers and was going to try those. Its gotten used to the meal worms and catching them when they craw around. what im worried about is when i cut the night crawlers up to feed it im worried its not going to eat it because when i would dangle the red worms in front of it, it showed no interest. and after i do cut up the worm what do i do with the rest? can i save them for another time? btw ive been using tonges never have i used my hand to feed the frog. Also how big should the night crawler peices be my pacman frog from head to bum is a little over a inch and a half. I was wondering how old you think it could be i asked the people at petsmart but of course they had no idea. Any other advice would be great also.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

lovenokia

Default Re: Night Crawlers

Quote Originally Posted by AroseK View Post
    I'm going to give you the whole run down. I bought my pacman frog from petsmart they gave me meal worms to feed it (at the time i didn't know that they would impact him) and i had been feeding it them since i spent the rest of of my pay check on every thing for the frog. But there has been no impaction and my pacman was pooing just fine. but I bought it the red wigglyys ( they said their small earthworms) i cant get my frog to eat them. So i just bought some night crawlers and was going to try those. Its gotten used to the meal worms and catching them when they craw around. what im worried about is when i cut the night crawlers up to feed it im worried its not going to eat it because when i would dangle the red worms in front of it, it showed no interest. and after i do cut up the worm what do i do with the rest? can i save them for another time? btw ive been using tonges never have i used my hand to feed the frog. Also how big should the night crawler peices be my pacman frog from head to bum is a little over a inch and a half. I was wondering how old you think it could be i asked the people at petsmart but of course they had no idea. Any other advice would be great also.
    I got my pacman from petsmart too, same thing they also gave me mealworms to feed the frog with.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Sometimes you have to get them a taste for the worms by sneaking in while the frog is awake and either slowly move the worm piece twards him with tongs or drop the chunk on the substrate directly in front of him about an inch away from him. Most will strike without thinking. Also Red Wigglers are NOT the same as Night Crawlers and secrete a distasteful slime that both tastes and smells bad which is probably why your frog wouldn't eat them.

About cutting the worms, just cut a half inch to 1 inch piece off of one of the Night Crawlers starting at the tale. Only cut one piece off each worm at a time. They can regenerate and therefore are not harmed much by doing this and will survive so the whole worm will not die and be wasted.

Namio

Quote Originally Posted by lovenokia View Post
    I got my pacman from petsmart too, same thing they also gave me mealworms to feed the frog with.
    The problem with large chain pet store is that they often times hire part-time employees who make minimum wage and have not a clue about some of the animals that they are selling. However, it is no excuse for them because it is the management/manager's responsibility to educate their employees with correct knowledge of the animals they have.

AroseK

How do you know which side is the tale and if i do cut a piece off and it doesn't eat it will that piece regenerate to? I just did it and the piece seems to be getting bigger and still moving so i might off cut the wrong side lol.

TeeRiddle

How do you know which side is the tale and if i do cut a piece off and it doesn't eat it will that piece regenerate to? I just did it and the piece seems to be getting bigger and still moving so i might off cut the wrong side lol.

One end of the night crawler is pointy and the other end is blunt. The pointy end is the head and the blunt end is the tail. You will also notice a solid band around the night crawler which is closest to the head.

You can drop it in a small bowl or something and watch which way it crawls and that can tell you which end is the head. Hope that explains it without getting too technical lol

Namio

I think the flatten end is the tail end. If you look at the worm's head and tail you'll notice one end is flattened more like a paddle and that's the tail.

AroseK

Will both ends live though? Their both still moving . Thats so cool though.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Will both ends live though? Their both still moving . Thats so cool though.
    The dark end is the head and the lighter more flat end is the tail. which direction they crawl is not a good indicated because they can move backwards just as easy as they can forwards. The tail is flatter and pale and the head is dark, round, and pointed.

If you cut one in half the tail will grow a head and the head will grow a tail eventually. The process takes a long time though so don't get to carried away with cutting them up. You can keep repeating the cutting process fir each worm per day until they're completely eaten without waiting for them to regenerate.

Pluke

I just got a new pacman this saturday and I couldn't get him to eat a worm when I offered it to him with tongs.. so what I did, I threw a cricket in his tank and he then knew it was feeding time. After he gulped the cricket down I showed him the worm and I think he realized it was food and ate it. He didn't take it from the tongs, he took it when he saw it moving on the ground. As for cutting worms.. Grif pretty much covered that. Hope this helps.

AroseK

Thanks everyone.

Thread Information