Thread: Uh Gray Tree Frogs?

Frogmaster1254

Default Uh Gray Tree Frogs?

Hello, my name is Olivia. As you read my blog which I made thinking it was a thread. Wow, am I just SO smart. Aha, anyways, I need to know the care and most of everything about a gray tree frog. Including the fact of how many can fit in a 20Gal Breeder tank. Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Uh Gray Tree Frogs?

Some basic information from right here on FrogForum:

Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care and Breeding

3. This member thanks toxxxickitten for this post:

Rae

Default Re: Uh Gray Tree Frogs?

I recently responded to another member asking many questions about owning greys so I decided to copy and paste there questions with my answers XD.

First off, what kind of tank should they be in? Depends on how many... once adult size you want a min. of 10gallons per frog. Also tree frogs need height so you want a min of 24" high. So for a 20gallon, 2 frogs would be the max you would want!
    Where could I buy frog tanks? If you have a petsmart or other pets stores that sell reptiles they usually have them.
    What kind of dirt/plants go in the tank?, As froglets paper towel might be best but then coco fiber / eco earth. Never plant soil! I believe is what I use. Pothos is a great recommended plant. I currently only have plastic but hope to add Pothos soon.
    Could I just put backyard soil and sticks in there? No, any chemicals or fertiliser in the soil can make them sick... larger sticks for decoration, perching, climbing should be fine (stay away from Cedar tree areas I read they are toxic to greys)
    How often does a tank need to be cleaned? Paper towels need to be changed quite frequently, poop scooping daily, fresh water daily... depends on amount for everything else. I do a full cleaning monthly. some do it more often or less.
    Do the tanks need lights/temperature control? Greys are hardy but heat average between 70 to 80 is good. It is not necessary for lighting but my frogs love it. I have UVA/UVB low watt bulbs in mine. NO HEAT Lights!

Secondly, what kind of food should I feed them? Crickets (pinhead crickets as froglets) is the best staple diet... once older they can have flies, moths, meal worms as treats (make sure food is no longer than the width between there eyes to prevent impaction
    Where can I buy food for them? Most reptile sellers will also sell crickets, you can call your local pet stores or order online.
    Because they are still really small, do they eat other things? pinhead crickets and fruit flies are your best bet
    Does the food have to be living in order for them to eat it? Usually yes they like the hunt, many wont touch dead ones
    How often should I feed them and does it matter what time of day they get fed? I feed mine daily 2 a crickets a night but they are adults... I think froglets need more and more frequent feedings.

Lastly, a random question that doesn't have to be answered:
    When will I be able to tell the gender of the frogs? And is the only way to do so by the color of their throat? Some claim the throat colour may be a sign of sex but it is not confirmed... But if your Frog starts calling ... Its a male

That care sheet link that Kitten posted has lots of great info as well. Good Luck XD

5. This member thanks Rae for this post:

Thread Information