Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dulling of color

Pezsas

Default dulling of color

okay so I have a Bright Green Fantasy Pacman, good eater, he is getting a mix of Roaches and crickets, spending the day in a hot humid enivorment. Recently I have noticed that he has started to lose some of his color around his mouth, is this normal? or something I have to worry about? Can I help him get his color back? Anyone got any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: dulling of color

Quote Originally Posted by Pezsas View Post
    okay so I have a Bright Green Fantasy Pacman, good eater, he is getting a mix of Roaches and crickets, spending the day in a hot humid enivorment. Recently I have noticed that he has started to lose some of his color around his mouth, is this normal? or something I have to worry about? Can I help him get his color back? Anyone got any ideas?
    What are temps, humidity levels, and what substrate is he housed on?

Pezsas

temps have been up into the 90s recently during the day with the lid closed , humidity levels anywhere from 80- 95 depending on lid, and coco husk mixture, he has a hide and a water bowl in there and a dying vine, i need to get a new one.

dpcsquid

Waaaaaaaaay too hot for the little guy!

Pezsas

I have it down into the mid 70's at night with the lid open, but it tends to dry out fast then, what is a good balance?

JIvoryII

78 at night and maybe 83 84 in the day.. change or adjust your heating 90s are to hot

Nationality
    [United States]

I have it down into the mid 70's at night with the lid open, but it tends to dry out fast then, what is a good balance?
    These frogs should NEVER be exposed to temps above 85° and that's the max. Plus your are causing serious stress with a near 20° Drop in temps at night. Exposure to severely high heat can cause kidney failure. Fix this issue immediately.

Day temps are best 80° to 82° and night temps should be 75° to 79°, but hover around 78°. Maintain 80% humidity.

dpcsquid

Also, you mention a lid...does that mean that there's no air circulation except for at night when you take the lid off? Grif has told me a good tip: Use a screened top and cover part of it (not near the heating element) with saran wrap. It helps keep the humidity in, but lets the air circulate out of the uncovered portion.

Pezsas

okay I will keep it down, keep the lid open should keep it down, and watch the humidity. Is that what is causing the color change stress level is too high?

JIvoryII

Pic would help us, that way we could see if its normal or not..

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree with Jim a photo of the frog and its enclosure would be extremely helpful.

Pezsas

Name:  DSC_1805.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  79.1 KBName:  DSC_1806.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  52.2 KB ah yes sorry should have included these in the first place, sorry these are not the best photos did not want to scare him to much with the flash. the brown there around the face, it used to be bright green like the rest of him.

Nationality
    [United States]

Could be the start of heat stress, BUT these frogs change many colors as they grow and mature. Mood, temp, substrate, among other things. an cause changes in color. Most are normal, but others can be bad. Monitor him closely. If he hasn't changed his eating habits and is active he is probably fine.

Pezsas

Thank you for your help I will be sure to keep an eye on him and update you all on how hes doing

Pezsas

it is a half lid system, made of glass you can open one half for feeding and some cleaning, but other wise the lid is secured to the tank, so during the night i open half of it, to let it air out. but i could use a screen to help with the half and leave it open to help with heat

Nationality
    [United States]

it is a half lid system, made of glass you can open one half for feeding and some cleaning, but other wise the lid is secured to the tank, so during the night i open half of it, to let it air out. but i could use a screen to help with the half and leave it open to help with heat
    Yes do this to allow a better air transfer and release excess heat.

Pezsas

Hello everyone, I know its been a while since I have posted here (its been a busy semester), but I wanted to give an update on my frog. I have fixed my heat problem, he is getting around 77-79 during the day, and around 70-72 at night. I know not the best heat range I know, but every time i try to raise it it goes up too much. Any questions on how to stabilize it to around 77 at night and low 80's during the day?
    Also, I am still having the color loss on him he has lost more of his green and developed a dull yellow color (I will get more photos when I can). And he is buried all the time, I have not see him eat in about a month, I keep giving him crickets in cage, they are disappearing at least some of them anyways, I assume he is eating but I don't know.
    Can anybody give me a hand here, one to get him to not hide all the time and another to get his color back?
    Oh before i for get his humidity now it around 65-70%

Nationality
    [Canada]

Any questions on how to stabilize it to around 77 at night and low 80's during the day?
    get hydrotherm! it will maintain both humidity and temps with night drop. or for just temperature you can get any thermostat , i just got one for 20$ off ebay for my incubator, not sure if it has night temps drop, but i don't need it

how big is he now, you were asking about him in august, so by now he should be adult size, he needs something other then crickets ( nightcrawler, roaches), whatever is happening with your frog is because of unstable conditions, too hot, then too cold, do you dust crickets?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Pezsas

I will try a hydrotherm it sucks that I'm only about 4 degrees all around, my humidity is fine for the most part. he is big but does not look the best, check out the photos. The problem is that he is not eating for me, he was eating roaches before but has all but stopped, I am not sure if he is even eating the crickets. I am going to try nightcrawlers tonight again. I took him out of his enclosure and put him in something smaller container with wet paper towels. he seems to not be doing to hot.
    When I picked him up he kept chriping at me he has been doing this anytime i dig him up to feed him too.

Name:  DSC_0011.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  76.1 KBName:  DSC_0012.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  78.1 KBName:  DSC_0013.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  74.4 KB

Anybody got any suggestions on how to get him back to a healthy state?

Nationality
    [United States]

I will try a hydrotherm it sucks that I'm only about 4 degrees all around, my humidity is fine for the most part. he is big but does not look the best, check out the photos. The problem is that he is not eating for me, he was eating roaches before but has all but stopped, I am not sure if he is even eating the crickets. I am going to try nightcrawlers tonight again. I took him out of his enclosure and put him in something smaller container with wet paper towels. he seems to not be doing to hot.
    When I picked him up he kept chriping at me he has been doing this anytime i dig him up to feed him too.

Name:  DSC_0011.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  76.1 KBName:  DSC_0012.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  78.1 KBName:  DSC_0013.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  74.4 KB

Anybody got any suggestions on how to get him back to a healthy state?
    The chirping is anger if he is doing it every time you disturb him. Get some unflavored Pedialyte and prepare a luke warm dechlorinated bath at a 10 to1 ratio so for every 10 ounces of water add 1 ounce unflavored pedialyte. Soak him in this bath for 20 minutes or until eater cools. Then prepare a second luke warm dechlorinated bath of just dechlorinated water and soak for the same duration.

Are you providing a 12 hour day/night cycle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information