Thread: New "cleaner" Terrarium Plan?

Rae

Question New "cleaner" Terrarium Plan?

Ok so I have been having issues with subtrate everywhere since the beginning, getting on my frogs, the walls, the plants, even in the water dish.... I get that this is part of what subtrate does lol. So I have researched sheet moss and searched garden stores for it... No luck... then recently leaf litter... No Luck... So not paying the mass shipping from the states.

This morning I called Reptile Wrangler (wear I get my crickets). They are able to get me springtails and sheet moss.

I feed my frogs by tongs so I'm thinking this will be a good safe and cleaner option.... Opinions?

Terrarium set up is for 3 Eastern Grey Tree Frogs (Hyla versicolor).

I use Exo Terra, Plantation Soil, Tropical Terrarium Substrate atm.

All fake plants atm.

Also hoping the green moss might make my greys feel like showing more green again

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rae

Default Re: New "cleaner" Terrarium Plan?

A little concerned that I haven't got one comment yet If the above ideas are a good and safe idea for my greys home....

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Sheet moss does not present any sort of a danger to your frogs and is safer to use than long fiber moss, though I have never in all my years of frog keeping NEVER lost a frog due to using long fiber loose moss.
    With the set up you have pothos plants or other small vining plants could be placed in the terrarium, just leave them in the pots and bury them with the substrate.

My greys always turned green in warmer conditions.

5. This member thanks Ra for this post:

Did you check out Understory Enterprises? They have both springtails and Oak Leaves. I've never ordered from them but they are in Chatham, Ontario. I couldn't find shipping rates on their website.

I use magnolia leaves as a leaf litter, it works pretty well for keeping substrate of the frogs and it looks pretty nice. If you know someone with a magnolia tree that doesn't go chemical happy, that's an easy way to go.

You might also consider adding live plants to help set up a complete little ecosystem.

I also use Sow Bugs (collected from the wild) as cleaners. Unlike springtails, which get ignored by larger frogs, they tend to get eaten eventually when they wander above ground but that's ok. They aren't an awesome food source on their own, but more variety never hurt.

7. 2 members thank UncleChester for this post:

Rae

Thank-you both for your replies I have been thinking of pothos lately as well XD

Rae

-Squeals- So I got some sheet moss today and placed it over almost all of the substrate hope the roots take soon XD

I also bought a bigger bathing dish but its still shallow. Using a exo terra ex lrg feeding dish. Its pretty I think lol.

My reptile guy XD said he will try and remember to bring springtails in tomorrow when he starts work... he cultures white ones at home.

And he might be able to get me some Pothos since the garden places here only sell them in huge baskets pot things.

Getting excited about trying new stuff to make my froggies feel more at home.

Rae

I got my springtails XD and wow are they super tiny. If they weren't white I'd never see them when I poured them onto the substrate lol. And during a lovely talk with my reptile guy I discovered he had leaf litter too. I cant believe I've searched everywhere for 2 years and I just now find everything I wondered about from 1 guy... and I have been getting crickets from where he works for 2 years -facepalm-

So now I call him my reptile guy XD.

Have to take some pics once he gets me some Pothos XD... Oh he is really getting into plant growing... other than Pothos what are some really nice easy to keep alive plants I can use with Grey Tree Frogs?

Pics and names of plants if possible XD

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Have to take some pics once he gets me some Pothos XD... Oh he is really getting into plant growing... other than Pothos what are some really nice easy to keep alive plants I can use with Grey Tree Frogs?

Pics and names of plants if possible XD
    Snake plants, aka sword plants, aka, Mother-in-laws tongue, aka the various Sansevieria. Are tough and sturdy plants that are very easy to keep alive. They don't tend to grow super fast but can tolerate very low light and drying out. Quite tough to kill.

Peperomias are also easy to keep alive, and there are fairly sturdy upright growing versions commonly available at Home Depots or Walmarts.

Marantas,
    aka "Prayer Plants" are also pretty resiliant and have nice large (but thin) leaves. They do well as a 'near' ground cover, forming a little canopy over your substrate, or if they have branches and things to grow between will also travel up pretty well. Can also be planted high up and allowed to hang.

Just a few of my usual favorites.

I've recently given a couple Phalaenopsis a try. Nice sturdy leaves that my grays have been camping out on pretty much since I put them in a couple of weeks ago. I expect I'll kill these off eventually, but they are pretty cheap from grocery stores or Home Depot after they've stopped blooming.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    Snake plants, aka sword plants, aka, Mother-in-laws tongue, aka the various Sansevieria. Are tough and sturdy plants that are very easy to keep alive. They don't tend to grow super fast but can tolerate very low light and drying out. Quite tough to kill.

Peperomias are also easy to keep alive, and there are fairly sturdy upright growing versions commonly available at Home Depots or Walmarts.

Marantas,
    aka "Prayer Plants" are also pretty resiliant and have nice large (but thin) leaves. They do well as a 'near' ground cover, forming a little canopy over your substrate, or if they have branches and things to grow between will also travel up pretty well. Can also be planted high up and allowed to hang.

Just a few of my usual favorites.

I've recently given a couple Phalaenopsis a try. Nice sturdy leaves that my grays have been camping out on pretty much since I put them in a couple of weeks ago. I expect I'll kill these off eventually, but they are pretty cheap from grocery stores or Home Depot after they've stopped blooming.
    Agreeing with everything, except that it's quite easy to kill Sansevieria spp. with over-watering. Just don't water it much at all and it'll be fine, but too much water will kill it. I know, I've killed a few...

Thread Information