Thread: I'm a frog newcomer who accidently accepted frog thats appearently gonna get huge, HOLY ****

KingMadness

Default I'm a frog newcomer who accidently accepted frog thats appearently gonna get huge, HOLY ****

My sister was moving, and she was about to flush this tiny little frog down the toilet. I was like noo don't do that. So she gave me this tank with a frog and all the supplies like a net, brine shrimp, pellets, De-chlorinator. I thought oh cool it's like one of those goldfish I had when I was little.

My sis didn't know the exact name of the frog, so I did some detective work based on his features, and low and behold I just accepted an African Clawed Frog, male, that will apparently grow to the size of my fist in a years time. I've read all about them and the precautions and stuff, and I've had him for a week. When I got this frog the fish tank smelled and was dirty so I assume she didn't take care of him like she should have. I've been feeding him every 2-3 days+ changing his water every 3-4 days and in a weeks time this guy is already getting bigger....****.

For one frog, how big of a tank do I get? I hear some say 5 some say 10, well which is it lol. If I can I'll just get the 5 gallon but I need to be sure. I have him in this small little fish tank, not even half a gallon, and I'm worried that I'm stunting his growth and not giving him the necessary space. I also need to get him some gravel and flowers and toys.

Please help me help Captain Ginyu.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

arielgasca420

Default Re: I'm a frog newcomer who accidently accepted frog thats appearently gonna get huge, HOLY ****

I do want to thank you for not letting your sister flush an animal down the toilet.
    I do not know too much about owning aquatic frogs, but a ten gallon should be sufficient.
    heres a good website I found for you
    African Clawed Frog Housing and Feeding

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: I'm a frog newcomer who accidently accepted frog thats appearently gonna get huge, HOLY ****

A 10 gallon tank is OK for one adult clawed frog. No need to get any gravel or plants. A small tank is easier to clean with a bare bottom. The plants will be dug up by the frog's powerful hind legs. Better to get a flower pot hide or use a small piece of PVC pipe of the right diameter. Brine shrimp makes a good staple food (not freeze-dried), however many clawed frogs will eat Tetra's Reptomin.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]

anubias attached to driftwood is great. i keep that with my frogs and they like to hide under the wood and in the plants. it also stands up very well to frog abuse lol

KingMadness

Hmm, thanks guys. Interesting that you say gravel and flowers aren't needed. How about a water filter and heater? I've bbeen wondering about those too.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'd only use a heater in the winter if the temperature in your house goes below 70F, I keep my frogs at 70F personally, no heater.. I really am reluctant to use a heater because these frogs are not too bright and will burn themselves on it very easily unless you manage to put some kind of protection around it. Not sure if that is worth it on a small tank, better to just keep the ambient temp. at 68F-72F.

A filter is needed, get a tetra whisper that is double the size of your tank (so if you get a 10g, get a Whisper 20i).

If you want substrate I would recommend sand.. do not get jagged sand though like Tahitian Moon. I use pool filter sand in one of my tanks and I personally use CaribSea's Moonlight sand in my frog tank.. I like it cause it's the finest grain sand they sell for aquaria (it's not good at holding down plants though).

I wouldn't get toys or flowers or anything. I actually keep a lot of plants in my frog tank, anubias, vals, pennywort (floating), wisteria, and a few others. I think more than anything they really enjoy the floating plants cause they will rest in them at night with their noses poking out of the water. If you get a lot of plants you'll need some decent lighting though of course.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    I'd only use a heater in the winter if the temperature in your house goes below 70F, I keep my frogs at 70F personally, no heater.. I really am reluctant to use a heater because these frogs are not too bright and will burn themselves on it very easily unless you manage to put some kind of protection around it. Not sure if that is worth it on a small tank, better to just keep the ambient temp. at 68F-72F.
    You are absolutely correct. I keep my frogs around 70 all year around and never needed a heater. Often times, this species will hang around the heater and their smooth, sensitive skin will burn. It should be noted that temperatures above 86 (F) can be fatal.

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    A filter is needed, get a tetra whisper that is double the size of your tank (so if you get a 10g, get a Whisper 20i).

If you want substrate I would recommend sand.. do not get jagged sand though like Tahitian Moon. I use pool filter sand in one of my tanks and I personally use CaribSea's Moonlight sand in my frog tank.. I like it cause it's the finest grain sand they sell for aquaria (it's not good at holding down plants though).

I wouldn't get toys or flowers or anything. I actually keep a lot of plants in my frog tank, anubias, vals, pennywort (floating), wisteria, and a few others. I think more than anything they really enjoy the floating plants cause they will rest in them at night with their noses poking out of the water. If you get a lot of plants you'll need some decent lighting though of course.
    Excellent advice and thank you

mafoo

only thing i can add is if your frog is smaller then the hole in whatever filter you get be sure to put some cheese cloth over the hole and wrap it around with an elastic band. my beta fish died from being sucked up in the filter and my dwarf frogs got sucked up in it lots but managed to survive and still do good, not a big thing when hes older but as hes younger be sure to do this to be safe

Thread Information