Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horn frog spitting food out

trd1215

Default Horn frog spitting food out

Hello,
    I just need some info and advice and maybe some tricks on getting this little guy to feed again. I have a horn frog that keeps spitting his food out when he captures it. He has been eating fine until these last couple of days he just doesn't want to eat.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

KingCam

Default Re: Horn frog spitting food out

What are you feeding him?

trd1215

He was eating 2-3 half size crickets a day. He or she is about dollar size coin.

trd1215

He is also shedding eating his own skin not sure if that's the cause. Do i have to wait till he finishes doing that? I keep him with spring water and paper towels. Should i change his substrate?

JIvoryII

try Night crawlers and watch this Video Tong Feeding 102 - YouTube it might help.. sometime they dont like the cricket legs.

Namio

Yeah like JIvoryII said, check out the video and try feeding small pieces of nightcrawlers. You can cut the nightcrawler to different lengths to experiment what size works best. Funny that I have two baby Cornutas (probably siblings since their patterns are identical) that each have their own preference in food. One prefers nightcrawlers while the other prefers crickets.

8. This member thanks Namio for this post:

trd1215

Quote Originally Posted by JIvoryII View Post
    try Night crawlers and watch this Video Tong Feeding 102 - YouTube it might help.. sometime they dont like the cricket legs.
    ok thanks i will buy some at walmart today

trd1215

I tried the night-crawlers just like your video worked good with tongs he opened mouth and i stuck the worm in his mouth but he still spit out the worm. So then i tried a cricket without legs and he ate it. So happy he ate one.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by trd1215 View Post
    I tried the night-crawlers just like your video worked good with tongs he opened mouth and i stuck the worm in his mouth but he still spit out the worm. So then i tried a cricket without legs and he ate it. So happy he ate one.
    Now just follow Jim and Jessica's advice and keep it up. He will come around.

Namio

I'm happy to hear that, Roger! Don't forget to dip the crickets in supplements (Calcium & vitamins). Don't give up on nightcrawlers though, because I find my frog grows faster by eating earthworms than crickets. Worms have that soft body which the frog can digest completely, whereas crickets has many indigestible parts (exoskeleton).

trd1215

Quote Originally Posted by Namio View Post
    I'm happy to hear that, Roger! Don't forget to dip the crickets in supplements (Calcium & vitamins). Don't give up on nightcrawlers though, because I find my frog grows faster by eating earthworms than crickets. Worms have that soft body which the frog can digest completely, whereas crickets has many indigestible parts (exoskeleton).
    Thanks i am still trying the nightcrawlers and he ate a piece last night but it is so hard to get him to eat it. It goes in but spits it out after like 20 tries he finally swallowed it.

Namio

Thanks i am still trying the nightcrawlers and he ate a piece last night but it is so hard to get him to eat it. It goes in but spits it out after like 20 tries he finally swallowed it.
    The key is to be patient. At first, they aren't used to eating that fat piece of worm, but after a while they'll get used to it and things will get much easier after that. Try wiggling it in front of the face without irritate the frog too much, the more stress you create means a less willing eater.

trd1215

Quote Originally Posted by Namio View Post
    The key is to be patient. At first, they aren't used to eating that fat piece of worm, but after a while they'll get used to it and things will get much easier after that. Try wiggling it in front of the face without irritate the frog too much, the more stress you create means a less willing eater.
    Lol yea very patient took me about 40 min to get him to eat the worm.

trd1215

Getting my froggie to eat nightcrawlers easier . Going to start feeding him pacman food from Samurai. Thanks JIvoryII for the tong video.

JIvoryII

Glad it helped...

trd1215

Tong feeding has come in handy... but when will he eat alone again? I have noticed he does not poop a lot, kinda leaves his legs open to the side a little and also leaves a lot of yellow stains on the paper towels any suggestions why?

Nationality
    [United States]

Tong feeding has come in handy... but when will he eat alone again? I have noticed he does not poop a lot, kinda leaves his legs open to the side a little and also leaves a lot of yellow stains on the paper towels any suggestions why?
    Tong feeding is preferred by most keepers. If he is willing to take food from the tongs, I don't see any reason to wean him off of them. Bowel movements can vary a lot depending on what they are eating, how much/how often, temperature and humidity (improper levels make it harder for them to digest), and the frog's age and size.

The yellow stains are urine. If you are using paper towels be sure to change them frequently. The urine can cause an ammonia build up if left to just sit. The legs being splayed to his sides is probably from being on paper towels. These are terrestrial frogs and they like to burrow... which they can't do on paper towels. It can lead to leg problems sometimes. Have you considered using coco fiber?? That is what most keepers recommend and the frogs love it.

Oh, I don't think anyone addressed this, but it is normal for them to eat their shed. It has some nutrients in it and it doesn't harm the frog.

trd1215

Tong feeding just takes some time as he does not eat the food right away... takes him about 5 tries to finally eat a piece of night crawler. Okay thats what i thought with the yellow stains just making sure. I change the paper towels every other day. Yes probably better to buy some coco fiber. How do i clean the coco fiber or do i have to change it frequently?

Thanks for the shed part... he had some on him last night i just pulled it off of him.

Nationality
    [United States]

Tong feeding just takes some time as he does not eat the food right away... takes him about 5 tries to finally eat a piece of night crawler. Okay thats what i thought with the yellow stains just making sure. I change the paper towels every other day. Yes probably better to buy some coco fiber. How do i clean the coco fiber or do i have to change it frequently?

Thanks for the shed part... he had some on him last night i just pulled it off of him.
    You only change their Coconut fiber substrate once a month unless it smells bad or something is wrong with the enclosure, but you must remove poop whenever you see it. Tong feeding is best and eventually it won't take as long. Paper towels should be changed everyday because they are also probe to fungal and mold growth.

trd1215

Okay thanks for all the info and help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information