Thread: What are your thoughts?

frogsanity12

Default What are your thoughts?

I know what I am saying right now is blasphemy (being that I am a frog enthusiast) but I have WC Cornuta who seems not to eat worms, crickets, etc...I know she gets very active when she sees other frogs. I really don't want to force feed her (last resort) I know their diet does consist of other frogs. So the question is: what are your thoughts on feeding frogs to frogs? What would be a suitable frog to feed it? I know all the negatives that can possibly happen but they will always out weight (dying from starvation). Please tell me your thoughts.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: What are your thoughts?

Get some feeder frogs and feed her them. If you have to forcefeed use the samurai pacman food in a syringe. They can't spit it out

frogsanity12

what's a good feeder frog?

KingCam

Newly morphed bullfrogs are usually abundant and invasive in some places. Of course this comes with a high risk of parasites (almost guaranteed).

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The Green tree frogs. Email eric ivans or underground reptiles. They are in fl. And usually have them cheap.

Best thing would be to feed the pacman food in the syringe. Get it to a paste and push the paste into the frogs mouth. Its too sticky for them to spit it back out. The feeder frogs and anoles don't have enough nutrients to get them back to health quick. Pacman food is the best.

frogsanity12

Thank you

frogsanity12

Anoles are good?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

They are a feeder but not much too them. You want to feed the pacman food.

Namio

When purchasing feeder frogs, do watch out for WC amphibian that dealers sell. Building on what Cam had previously said, WC amphibians can carry chytrid fungus which will almost means a death sentence to your frog. I'm not sure how susceptible green tree frogs are to chytrid, but WC ones may carry the disease so you might not want to risk it. Look for cheap captive frogs is what I would do.
    WC bullfrogs are almost guaranteed to have chytrid on them, since they're highly resistant to chytridiomycosis (the disease chytrid cause), can carry chytrid asymptomatically, and are proven to be a vector of the disease. I always had this idea of treating WC bullfrogs with antifungal meds to cure chytrids then have them be feeder frogs, but there's no research on the potential negative impact of leftover antifungal drugs being ingested by frogs, so you can pretty much ignore what I just said.

For now maybe you can try feeding you cornuta with large crickets. Make sure you give the frog lots of cover so that it feels safe, place the enclosure in a dark & quiet room/place to reduce stress and let the frog acclimatize for a day or two. Then drop a cricket or two in the cage and leave them overnight, check the next day to see if the crickets were eaten, if not, take them out. If your Cornuta start taking the crickets it would be great news. Next step may be nigthcrawlers, a pinky or fuzzy once in a while.

If everything fails, I would start force-feeding you cornuta with samurai pacman food like what Mike had recommended.

IvoryReptiles

Wouldn't force feeding be the better option to starving to death too?
    We have an adult female Cornuta that is a WC too, and she now eats nightcrawlers. Took us a little work to get her trained to tong feeding, but it was worth it.
    Best of luck!

Nationality
    [United States]

If the frog is truly on the verge of starving to death you better force feed first then look for appropriate feeders. doesn't do you any good to have a source of feeder frogs or mice if the frog die before you can offer them. Force feed the Pacman Food.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Pacman food saved 1 of the 4 cornutas that I kept. 3 died because they were only fed the feeder frogs and earthworms.

The pacman food wasn't fed until the 3rd one died. It saved the 4th frog.

I even feed tiny baby froglets pacman food by syringe to get size on them.

frogsanity12

I went out and bought a green tree frog and she ate it. The situation is that I will still make attempts to feed her crickets, earthworms...but if this is the only thing she'll eat then is this ok?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Yea its okay if you arent worried about her getting sick from them. I really dont see why yu arent interested in trying the pacman food. It really does work very well, even if you have to force feed it, which isnt all that difficult.
    If you get your frog started on frogs, you can say good bye to any chances of her ever eating anything else voluntarily.

If you insist on feeding her tree frogs, I would suggest that you set up a green tree frog terrarium and care for them the best you can. That way they are fed a healthy diet, sized up, and you have time to monitor their over all health, eating habits, stool, weight etc. And you can keep about three on hand at any given time in one ten gallon vertically positioned, or more in a larger terrarium or heated plastic blanket box.

I would still be very concerned about chytrid.

I actually highly recommend the Pacman food. You should consider ordering a bag. A similar product at a better price would be Repashy Meat Pie, which has similar ingredients.

frogsanity12

I'm not against samurai food. I hear it is really good. I've thrown every piece of food you can think of at the WC Cornuta but there has been no huge gain in weight and a lot of the time I'm throwing it out. The minute I placed the GTF in there 30 minutes later it was gone. I saw the little leg sticking out of her mouth. The other WC Cornuta I have gobbles down crickets but nothing else. Is it true they get addicted to the samurai food?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The samurai food is the best thing you can feed them. Did you worm the cornutas? You would have to feed twenty or so of those green tree frogs to notice a weight gain. Syringe feed the samurai food in a paste form.

I get 350 feedings out a $10.00 bag of samurai food. Its very cheap for what the frogs get out of it.

IvoryReptiles

We have an adult WC cornuta (Alice, she is my avatar) and at first she was very hard to get to feed, but with patience, she did start taking the nightcrawlers. She also has had some of the Samurai food. It is excellent for getting weight on them.
    What I am wondering is this: If actual breeders and folks with experience are giving you advice YOU asked for, what's the big deal? Feeding it other frogs is going to do exactly what Ra said it would do......guarantee that the cornuta will never want to eat anything else. It is no longer in the wild and why take the risk of passing on parasites or chytrid? We got Alice to eat the worms by using the same methods shown in the video we made for THIS purpose.....to help folks who had difficult to feed frogs.

Best of Luck.

Thread Information