Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does frog look impacted?

lovenokia

Default Does frog look impacted?

I am not sure wheter my frog which now have had for a little more than a day looks impacted, I just feed it a couple mealworms(what they gave me to feed with crickets from petsmart) and i gave my frog a few worms and noticed a little lump on the right side. Now it seems to have gone but did i over feed my pacman frog? If the picture is not good enough than tell me, and i will try to get a better photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

lovenokia

Default Re: Does frog look impacted?

it seems to have almost gone away now, i am not seeing much of a lump anymore. But is 4-6 mealworms too many in one feeding?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Don't feed pacs mealworms. They tend to clog them up.

lovenokia

okay, than i should give my pacman frog crickets and what else? and since my frog is a little larger than a quarter, how much should i be dusting the food during the week, this is my first pacman frog.

lovenokia

i have quite a few mealworms left, should i feed the last of them or give the other mealworms to my lizard?

IvoryReptiles

The lump on the right side is a full tummy. Please stop feeding mealworms....they will eventually cause an impaction!
    Feed earthworms/nightcrawlers instead! Cut into appropriate sized bits for the frog's size!

Feed the mealies off to your lizard.

8. This member thanks IvoryReptiles for this post:

lovenokia

Quote Originally Posted by IvoryReptiles View Post
    The lump on the right side is a full tummy. Please stop feeding mealworms....they will eventually cause an impaction!
    Feed earthworms/nightcrawlers instead! Cut into appropriate sized bits for the frog's size!
    okay, i will give the rest of them to my bearded dragon instead. I am suprised because when i got my frog they gave me a case of mealworms to feed my pacman with. So much inexperience from the petsmart workers.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by lovenokia View Post
    okay, i will give the rest of them to my bearded dragon instead. I am suprised because when i got my frog they gave me a case of mealworms to feed my pacman with. So much inexperience from the petsmart workers.
    Mine was impacted when I got it from the petstore due to them feeding the wrong foods in a container with moss... Cured me from buying reptiles from anyone but a breeder.

IvoryReptiles

If you read the Care pamphlet from Petsmart, it states that Pacman Frogs are a tree frog and arboreal...........when I read that, I laughed so hard that I shot Pepsi out of my nose................it BURNED!!
    Petsmart is NOT one for educating their employees in facts, they want to follow the path of least resistance & most dividends. My hope is that they eventually employ folks who are smarter than their CEO's.....it happens more than you think. I have 3 personal friends who worked at Petsmarts and they are knowledgeable in correct reptile/amphibian husbandry and are willing to do research if they don't know the answer.

12. This member thanks IvoryReptiles for this post:

lovenokia

Thanks, at least I know now at that I should ask questions on this website, or from a vet. Hopefully petsmart or petsco has earthworms waxworms etc.

lovenokia

I bought a frog just larger than a quarter from petsco yesterday, hopefully because of its young age it did not get too much damage from them.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks, at least I know now at that I should ask questions on this website, or from a vet. Hopefully petsmart or petsco has earthworms waxworms etc.
    Don't feed too many Waxworms. they too can cause impaction if Fed too often, but not like Mealworms. 2 Waxworms every other day or every 3 days is a good start for them and you shouldn't have issues. They are very fattening though.

16. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

lovenokia

Are crickets something I can feed often without worrying too much about impaction.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Nationality
    [United States]

Are crickets something I can feed often without worrying too much about impaction.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Yes, offer small crickets every night. Don't for get to dust the food before offering them to your frog.

19. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

lovenokia

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Yes, offer small crickets every night. Don't for get to dust the food before offering them to your frog.
    okay thanks, someone told me that i need to dust food with calcium twice a week, and i also need to give him/her vitamins once a week. Is this enough for the size of my frog or do i need to give it more calcium and vitamins than that recommended amount.

Nationality
    [United States]

okay thanks, someone told me that i need to dust food with calcium twice a week, and i also need to give him/her vitamins once a week. Is this enough for the size of my frog or do i need to give it more calcium and vitamins than that recommended amount.
    That's excellent advice. Follow that dosing schedule.

lovenokia

looks like the lump has returned, look below something does not look right.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]

looks like the lump has returned, look below something does not look right.
    He looks fine to me. I think you're freaking out over nothing. If you're worried about impaction just give him a soak in Luke warm de-chlorinated water with a couple drops of honey dissolved in it. Soak for 15 minutes.

lovenokia

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    He looks fine to me. I think you're freaking out over nothing. If you're worried about impaction just give him a soak in Luke warm de-chlorinated water with a couple drops of honey dissolved in it. Soak for 15 minutes.
    I new to these frogs, and want to make sure it is fine, that lump did not look right for some reason.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

A frog cant look impacted, unless it ate a large rock...
    My albino horned frog has a very large and firm lump protuding from both sides, because it just ate a large mouse. My Budgetts frog one ate way too many fish in a row (like 8) and its tummy had had several large lumps that were moving around because the fish were still alive in its stomach.
    Its perfectly normal for them to look oddly plump after they eat. Not all too different than after a snake has eaten.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information