Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pacman Frog-need heating help

lovenokia

Default New Pacman Frog-need heating help

I have a pacman frog and currently for my set up i have coconut substrate and a water bowl. I have to lights that were recommended to me at the pet store, but after doing some research i do not think that they are the rights ones. The lady told me at night i needed an infared light, and on colder days i needed a basking light. Both the basking and infrared light are both at 75 watts, and my tank is 10 gallons. The temperature is around 80 generally but i don't know weather the light is good or not. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wizzlewuzzle

You're right, you were not given the correct information. It's good to have both an infrared and a basking light, BUT you don't want either of those to be over 50 watts. I have a 40 watt basking light and a 40 watt infrared light. During the day, I put the basking bulb in, and at night, I switch it to the infrared. A temp of 80 is okay. Are you also measuring the humidity I your tank? You want that to be around 80%. Also, is this a baby frog you have in the 10 gallon? If so, you may want to switch over to a critter keeper until he or she gets much larger. Huge tanks will stress out a Pacman. How about some pic of your setup and your frog friend?

4. This member thanks Wizzlewuzzle for this post:

lovenokia

Default Re: New Pacman Frog-need heating help

sure, it is a baby pacman frog around the size of a quarter, i just got him yesterday

lovenokia

here is my setup up, i still need to get plant though
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wizzlewuzzle

Awww cute little frog! I know this is not fun to hear, but you will really want to go to a smaller tank for the time being. At the very least...I don't suppose you have a tank divider? I know it seems weird, but pacman frogs really don't do well in spaces that are huge compared to them.

8. This member thanks Wizzlewuzzle for this post:

Wizzlewuzzle

Also if you can cover 3 sides of the tank with a background of some sort, that'll help your little guy or gal feel a little more secure.

10. This member thanks Wizzlewuzzle for this post:

lovenokia

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzlewuzzle View Post
    Awww cute little frog! I know this is not fun to hear, but you will really want to go to a smaller tank for the time being. At the very least...I don't suppose you have a tank divider? I know it seems weird, but pacman frogs really don't do well in spaces that are huge compared to them.
    Thanks, I think I have a smaller cage somewhere, I will have to go get a smaller cage then, so with the lighting I should return Tue lights that I have and get lower wattage?

lovenokia

I read about that somewhere, I wonder why the pet smart lad never told me this. Thanks

lovenokia

So I need smaller cage, lower wattage lights, background papers and the frog should then do fine?

Wicked frogs

Its because these people are getting paid $8.50 an hour, i have herd multiple people say on here that the guy's from Petco or where eva are giving the wrong info to customers that are new to having pets esp pac-mans i just don't get it though Petco has free care sheets but nice frog they sure are pretty cool.

lovenokia

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked frogs View Post
    Its because these people are getting paid $8.50 an hour, i have herd multiple people say on here that the guy's from Petco or where eva are giving the wrong info to customers that are new to having pets esp pac-mans i just don't get it though Petco has free care sheets but nice frog they sure are pretty cool.
    well the care sheet from petsmart was very questionable. It kinda said that i need it but was not very descriptive, the care sheet was too vague in my opinion.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Tim has you on the right track. Return the bulbs you have for 50 watt bulbs. You will also need a lamp that has a dimmer switch so your bulbs aren't on full blast and drying out the tank.

You'll want a medium to large critter keeper with a UTH made for Hermit Crabs placed on the back and yes cover the sides of the setup so the frog feels secure. You can also cover the top of the keeper with Saran Wrap to help hold heat and humidity in, but don't cover the vents on the ends to allow circulation.

17. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

lovenokia

here is a pic of the lighting equipment that i bought yesterday, so pretty much return this and go for the 50 watt and below right?

Wizzlewuzzle

Yeah, when I got my frog, the pet shop people told me he didn't need any lights/heat, didn't need a certain humidity, didn't need any vitamins/calcium, and that his tank should be extremely wet and swampy. And all of that was wrong. Luckily there are places like this forum where we can find people who actually do know what they're talking about!

lovenokia

here is a picture of a cricket cage that i have had for some time now and just found it. I want to know it this will work of not, thanks.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by lovenokia View Post
    here is a picture of a cricket cage that i have had for some time now and just found it. I want to know it this will work of not, thanks.
    That one is too small. You'll never find a good water dish that will fit correctly. Medium Critter tote is best not a keeper made for feeders.

22. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

lovenokia

since people are responding to this thread, how often do i need to dust the food for my pacman frog? 2-3 times a week and what vitamins are needed to be given too him?

lovenokia

so a bit bigger than this and i will be fine, thanks.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Personally i would with the 5.5 inch reflector lamp and a 50 watt red bulb connected to a dimmer or rheostat. If I were shopping at a pet store. I usually get my stuff at Home Depot, I keep my house at about 74 Fm so I use a 25 watt red bulb and buy the 5.5 inch clamp lamps they have for about five bucks. 25 watt bulbs seem to work perfectly in a 10 gallon, but I also paint three sides back and put cardboard on three sides which helps the tank hold heat.

26. This member thanks Ra for this post:

lovenokia

so the light that i am currently using is okay, just i need to get a dimmer and get lower wattage bulbs, is that correct?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information