Thread: Green Tree Frog Infection?

Infexion

Default Green Tree Frog Infection?

Hello,

My girlfriend picked up some tadpoles from where she works because they received a shipment of plants that they were hiding in. The store did not have the room for them so they normally just keep them in the plant tanks and they do not feed them. So because they basically were going to die she opted to take them home. One of the tadpoles turned very quickly into a frog and we realized that it was a tree frog (What kind is another story). The one that turned first now has some kind of white forming on his back. I was wondering if anyone could these questions.

What kind of tree frog are we dealing with?
    What is the white that seems to have built up on his back(Pictures attached)

Name:  IMG_20120723_191139.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  68.9 KB
    First turned into a frog
    Name:  IMG_20120803_231925.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  71.0 KB
    Example of white
    Name:  IMG_20120803_231932.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  76.8 KB
    Another example
    If anyone can answer these questions I would greatly appreciate it.

FYI: We are planning on taking them to the vet as soon as we can get an appointment.

Edit: Please let me know because I do not want him to be in pain.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Green Tree Frog Infection?

Frog Forum - Basic Frog First Aid here are some basic solutions, hope this helps. I would definitly bring it to a vet ASAP.

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

Infexion

Quote Originally Posted by BlueisallIneed View Post
    Frog Forum - Basic Frog First Aid here are some basic solutions, hope this helps. I would definitly bring it to a vet ASAP.
    Thank you for the information. Do you have any idea what type of Tree Frog this is?

Infexion

Apparently the white turns colors. It has turned to a very dark grey now... This happened in a matter of a couple of hours.

Pactolus

I'll go out on a limb and say that that's their skin naturally changing color because of stress. I've been green treefrogs that are entirely the color of the blotch in the 2nd pic. Infections do not change color that quickly.

A vet visit would still be appropriate though, because color changes like that are not normal.

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by Pactolus View Post
    I'll go out on a limb and say that that's their skin naturally changing color because of stress. I've been green treefrogs that are entirely the color of the blotch in the 2nd pic. Infections do not change color that quickly.

A vet visit would still be appropriate though, because color changes like that are not normal.
    I don't think that's what's going on. When they change colour because of stress its usually a full body change to a darker colour.

Anyway, he needs a vet ASAP.
    Good luck

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

He definitely needs medication prescribed by a vet. I would guess he has a fungal infection, but I am not a vet. Being it's fast growing I'd get him there soon so the process can be stopped.

Good luck!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Infexion

Ok... After 7 vet visits and 350 dollars later NONE of the frogs survived. This has been a long terrible journey. The Vet finally determined that the frogs had MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease) from the start and there was not much we could do about it. From what the vet said "Once they show serious signs it is too late to treat". We are depressed and feel rather defeated. This will be the last time we rescue any pets.

Thank you for the help. Take care.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Green Tree Frog Infection?

Quote Originally Posted by Infexion View Post
    Ok... After 7 vet visits and 350 dollars later NONE of the frogs survived. This has been a long terrible journey. The Vet finally determined that the frogs had MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease) from the start and there was not much we could do about it. From what the vet said "Once they show serious signs it is too late to treat". We are depressed and feel rather defeated. This will be the last time we rescue any pets.

Thank you for the help. Take care.
    Oh my goodness . How heart breaking. I am sorry for your losses. Healthy frogs can be a pleasure to have. This is the hard part. That's a lot of money. What all did your vet do...testing, meds, treatments? If you don't want to answer that's okay. I see it's been a long road for you .

MBD can be treated if caught early on. Once disabling, they have difficulty eating and functioning and become worse and worse .

Rescuing sick frogs is not easy. Prevention is so much easier. I commend your efforts and think highly of you for doing all that you could for them. It says a lot about your caring personality. It is clearly evident that you have given them everything you could. They are at peace now. My heart goes out to you!

Sincerely, Heather
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information