Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tong Feeding 101... new tiny Froglets

JIvoryII

Default Tong Feeding 101... new tiny Froglets

just got done feeding and made a video of tong feeding 4 of 5 new froglets. thought it might help some of the new froggers see how we do it.

Tong Feeding 101 - YouTube

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Tong Feeding 101... new tiny Froglets

Awesome!! This should be very helpful with those members who are worried and having trouble with tong feeding. Love the little froglets too so cute!!

4. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Cute!!!! Awesome video!

6. This member thanks Bruce for this post:

IvoryReptiles

I was nervous and my voice is still ugly thanks to sinus infection, but after fielding SO many questions about tong feeding, we figured that a video could help save on typing....LOL

We will do more with juveniles & adults, also some stuborn feeders. We need some ideas as to what you would like to see in a video. What subjects would you like to see in action as opposed to just reading about it?

Thanks!!

Wizzlewuzzle

Thanks for the awesome video. And those froglets are SO cute!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by IvoryReptiles View Post
    I was nervous and my voice is still ugly thanks to sinus infection, but after fielding SO many questions about tong feeding, we figured that a video could help save on typing....LOL

We will do more with juveniles & adults, also some stuborn feeders. We need some ideas as to what you would like to see in a video. What subjects would you like to see in action as opposed to just reading about it?

Thanks!!
    Force feeding for those who may be having trouble with that task.

Feeding tadpoles.

Proper way of picking up from ages froglet to adult.

Sometimes it becomes tedious answering these questions since seeing is easier that typing how

IvoryReptiles

Thanks for the suggestions Grif!!! Will get to working on those videos soon!!

11. This member thanks IvoryReptiles for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the suggestions Grif!!! Will get to working on those videos soon!!
    Your videos should be made into stickies under general topics!

TeeRiddle

Thanks!!
    First off, thanks so much to you and your husband for taking the time to create these videos! I'm one of those asking about tong feeding lately and this video helps a bunch. Creating a video covering stubborn feeders and juveniles and adults is a great idea.

It seems like a very common question asked on the forum deals with impaction/constipation and giving honey soaks. I'm not real sure how to pull this information into a video because each case is somewhat different, but maybe doing an informative video on dealing with constipation or impaction could help.

Maybe give some info on symptoms of impaction and how to deal with them?

Just trying out some ideas

Again, thank you very much!

14. This member thanks TeeRiddle for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree Bruce. They should be stickies.

Pluke

Very cool video, thanks Ivory.

IvoryReptiles

Quote Originally Posted by TeeRiddle View Post
    First off, thanks so much to you and your husband for taking the time to create these videos! I'm one of those asking about tong feeding lately and this video helps a bunch. Creating a video covering stubborn feeders and juveniles and adults is a great idea.

It seems like a very common question asked on the forum deals with impaction/constipation and giving honey soaks. I'm not real sure how to pull this information into a video because each case is somewhat different, but maybe doing an informative video on dealing with constipation or impaction could help.

Maybe give some info on symptoms of impaction and how to deal with them?

Just trying out some ideas

Again, thank you very much!
    Again, Thanks for the positive feedback!
    If we get a frog with an impaction, we will video the care & treatment at that time. We do plan to do more videos and show how we clean & keep the frogs to help out new owners and some tips & tricks for all. We have a few frogs that are personal pets only because they have physical issues that we refuse to breed. I plan on doing a video to show some of the issues and what to look for in a healthy frog when going to purchase.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.....we are working on a list now!!

dpcsquid

I was hoping you could answer some tong-related and feeding questions for me here!

So you dust the worms about twice a week...do you only feed worms to your froglets as well as your adults? I know that variety is good, so I was just curious.

I've been having a problem with an over-zealous adult who likes to lunge and grab his worm bits from the tongs, and he sometimes gets the tong with it. Usually it's quick, but yesterday he actually got it in his mouth HARD and wouldn't let go. Do you just wait for him to let go, or is there something you can do to get him to let go? I'm afraid of him biting it too hard and hurting himself.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by dpcsquid View Post
    I was hoping you could answer some tong-related and feeding questions for me here!

So you dust the worms about twice a week...do you only feed worms to your froglets as well as your adults? I know that variety is good, so I was just curious.

I've been having a problem with an over-zealous adult who likes to lunge and grab his worm bits from the tongs, and he sometimes gets the tong with it. Usually it's quick, but yesterday he actually got it in his mouth HARD and wouldn't let go. Do you just wait for him to let go, or is there something you can do to get him to let go? I'm afraid of him biting it too hard and hurting himself.
    If the frog is an adult there is no need to just feed worm pieces. Feed whole worms and it will be less likely to bite the tongs. Now it will still happen occasionally so when it does just gently wiggle them out of the frogs mouth. With a frog that bites the tongs often you're going to want to buy rubber tipped tongs so the frog doesn't harm its jaws.

20. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

JIvoryII

exactly like Grif said..
    We will do a Video on how to tong feed adult frogs to so how to lessen the chances of the frog getting the tongs.
    We do feed are frogs worm almost exclusively but cricket, hornworms and roaches are the other insects we offer ever once in a while .. as well as pac food ( not very often do to cost ). froglets get night crawlers ( mostly ) and cricket ( not very often ) mainly so they know what the crickets are when ppl that I sell them to want to feed cricket mostly. The juves and adults get worms as a staple and other insects as treats, mice very rarely some never.. Night crawlers are by far the best food for these frogs that I have found... some of my breeders have been raised from emergent froglet to present on night crawlers as 99.9 % of their diet and have never had a mouse.

dpcsquid

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    If the frog is an adult there is no need to just feed worm pieces. Feed whole worms and it will be less likely to bite the tongs. Now it will still happen occasionally so when it does just gently wiggle them out of the frogs mouth. With a frog that bites the tongs often you're going to want to buy rubber tipped tongs so the frog doesn't harm its jaws.
    Some nightcrawlers are just to huge, I didn't know if it would be okay to give a whole one to them, so I was cutting them in half and he still gets really anxious. He's just a pig.

JIvoryII

I feed most that are 3" whole worms and I have some tricks to lessen the frog getting the tongs, like holding the worm to form a loop and angling the tips of the tong down and way from the frog.. We'll do a video tomorrow to better illustrate it for you

dpcsquid

Quote Originally Posted by JIvoryII View Post
    I feed most that are 3" whole worms and I have some tricks to lessen the frog getting the tongs, like holding the worm to form a loop and angling the tips of the tong down and way from the frog.. We'll do a video tomorrow to better illustrate it for you
    Thanks! I really appreciate it! Take your time, though. You should be resting if you have a sinus infection. :C

JIvoryII

no problem... wife has the sinus infection. I should be resting for work but I never get to bed till after 2 am

lovenokia

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    this is something important for me to know, my frog bit the tong a few times and it is metal, i will have to get a rubber one. that is very good info to know for first time froggers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information