Thread: Badly badly injured Bullfrog

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    yug0

Default Badly badly injured Bullfrog

Hello. Me and a few of my friends happened upon a frog with SEVERE injuries. It's awful and it looks like it's in a LOT of pain. I'm so worried that i'm almost in tears. I have cleaned out the gash with warm water and a little neosporin.
    Here are some pictures.

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  51.8 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  70.4 KB

Please help, I'm so sad and worried...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Badly badly injured Bullfrog

Are you using de-chlorinated water to clean the wounds? Chlorine is toxic and will poison the frog. I would take the poor frog to a Vet, but for now place it in a enclosure with clean. moist paper towels as substrate and a bowl of clean de-chlorinated water. keep the frog in a room that is warm.

Reapply the Neosporin daily and clean the wound each time before applying more. this will help fight infection. You'll have to change the paper towels daily and the frogs water. This is all the assistance I can offer for now. Hopefully someone else will chime in and assist further.

Nationality
    [United States]

Make sure all water that you use is de-chlorinated including water used to clean wounds and moisten the paper towels.. You will have to go buy a de-chlorinating agent from a pet store of any aquarium section. ReptiSafe and Prime are both excellent.

yug0

I'm using hose water and fresh lake water. I'll keep using the neosporin! Thank you!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by yug0 View Post
    I'm using hose water and fresh lake water. I'll keep using the neosporin! Thank you!
    Lake water will not be clean and contains bacteria that could infect the wound further and the hose water has chlorine.

yug0

Oh...yikes. I'll be taking him to the DNR today to see if they can help him. Surprisingly, overnight, a bit of the swelling in his leg has gone down. I'm hoping they can help him!

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh...yikes. I'll be taking him to the DNR today to see if they can help him. Surprisingly, overnight, a bit of the swelling in his leg has gone down. I'm hoping they can help him!
    I commend your efforts. Most people wouldn't go through such a task to save a wild Frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ouch! Poor little fella. Thank you for helping him. It's sure a dandy. You are doing a great job!

Sorry I didn't see this post sooner. I sometimes miss a few on my work days.

Grif has given you wonderful advice! The dead tissues will darken and fall off. The neosporin will help prevent infection and keep the healthy skin soft so it can grow together. The wound is large in comparison to his size, so it will take a while to grow across. The pedialyte soaks are perfect because he will lose a lot of electrolytes through the seeping of the wound. The two number one treatments of burns are preventing infection and electrolyte replacement.

The wound inflammation is what you are seeing along the edges. It is very likely infected but can continue to heal from the inside out if you can keep him from going septic. Infected wounds are best healed from the inside out to provide constant cleaning as they close. You are doing a great job because he hasn't gone septic, though the odds were high given the depth and size of the wound. If you had not found him when you did he would have died in about 2 days. Though his wounds are severe, you have thus far saved him .

My only other recommendation is to spray and wipe down the sides and floor of the tank daily with dechlorinated water and dry with paper towels prior to putting his paper towel floor down. Mist him twice a day with the dechlor water so he stays moist, and like Grif said, keep him in a warm room at at least 75 degrees. Their bodies cannot warm up like us and the cold will slow down their metabolism and healing.

I'll try and think of anything more to add but at this time that is all that is coming to me.

Great job!!!!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Definitely follow what Heather has stated above as well. You must keep bacterial growths as low as possible to orient further infection. You're doing well keep it up.

yug0

Aaaaah thank you guys so much!! You guys are such a big help oh my gosh! It turns out that that white-ish stuff around his leg is new skin, and his wound looks like it is slowly healing up!! His leg is far less swollen too. I'll try and get some of the unflavored pedialyte stuff tomorrow...I hope the pet store has it! I just started feeding him worms today, it seems he likes those better than crickets because he swallows them almost immediately. Still wont eat them off of tweezers, however.
    Here's a picture I took of him, he's lookin' good! (you might have to click on it to see it better, however)
    Name:  iaza12245274278700.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  67.3 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Aaaaah thank you guys so much!! You guys are such a big help oh my gosh! It turns out that that white-ish stuff around his leg is new skin, and his wound looks like it is slowly healing up!! His leg is far less swollen too. I'll try and get some of the unflavored pedialyte stuff tomorrow...I hope the pet store has it! I just started feeding him worms today, it seems he likes those better than crickets because he swallows them almost immediately. Still wont eat them off of tweezers, however.
    Here's a picture I took of him, he's lookin' good! (you might have to click on it to see it better, however)

Thank you for taking care of him. Do you have any YouTube videos?

yug0

Quote Originally Posted by evangelist6589 View Post
    Thank you for taking care of him. Do you have any YouTube videos?
    I don't, but when i feed him tomorrow, I will make one!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

He looks great! Look at those pretty eyes <3 You are doing such an awesome thing for him, keeping y'all in my thoughts that he continues to progress well!
    • 1.2.0 Azazel, Matrix & Minnie
    • 0.1.0 Felis catus (Maine Coon Mix & Siamese Mix) - Daisy & Donald
    • 1.0.0 Canis lupus familiaris (Siberian Husky) - Hermes
    • 2.0.0 Mini-Me Minions - Aiden & Peyton

Nationality
    [United States]

Awe , he looks good . The pedialyte is found in the baby section of a grocery store or Walmart/Kmart.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

How is your bullfrog doing? Do you have any new photos?

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry I was away for a bit...I try and keep up but my work days are very long.

In the video the frogs overall appearance looks better. He looks perkier, likely from the electrolyte soaks. Have you used any amphibian calcium with vitamin D 3 powder on his food. He will need this. Also get an amphibian multivitamin powder such as herptivite. Lightly sprinkle the frogs food every other day with the calcium. One day a week sprinkle or gently dust with the vitamin powder.

I am very concerned for the leg. The blackened colors are a sign of tissue death. It should fall off. Do you feel any pulsations along the leg or foot that feel like a pulse would in your foot or wrist? Feel along your arm on the underside on the side of your thumb, just below your wrist, between the edge of your arm and your tendon where there is a slight dent, at your radial pulse. Your frog should have a pulse in his leg. It won't be as strong as yours, but should be there. I am concerned about his circulation.

I think you should either take him to a local vet or email Dr.Frye with a photo and tell him what has happened. See what he thinks. Dr. Frye is a wonderful vet in Michigan who has helped many with their frogs. If you need his email, let me know.

You are doing a great job and have kept him alive .

At this time you may have to consider that your frog might lose the lower part of his leg and foot. Please don't be upset. I am one to be completely honest. I will still guide you and help you in every way I can. I am also a nurse. There may still be a possibility of saving the leg but I would contact a vet.

If your frog does lose his lower leg, he will be dependent on you to care for him, and at this point will be anyway. You will not be able to set him free. He will not be able to leap well, therefore you will have to provide him with food, a clean, safe, and proper home. He will not be able to flee fast enough from predators in the wild. He is a wonderful frog . If he pulls through he will be awesome still . If there comes a time you can't or no longer want him, I'm sure someone here would help you find him a home. Just a thought. I just want you to understand that he may end up losing that part of his leg and that to continue to save his life, it may be necessary. But he can still be loved .

Continue the soaks and continue feeding him and rinsing and wiping down his tank daily. Be sure to change his water daily. Be sure to wash your hands before and after all of his care. The goal is to keep the germs away. Apply the neosporin every day and apply enough to keep the thigh shiny to allow any possible tissues to heal in. Apply the neo to the foot too.

Please keep us posted. We are all hoping for the best!

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm sorry you couldn't save him . You did such a great job! Maybe you could get a healthy frog? You certainly have shown you are responsible and willing to put forth the effort of caring for one.

I give you a lot of credit for doing so much for him!!!

Nevfalath

Awww, that's so sad! I'm so sorry. The poor guy... but you did a great job and did everything you possibly could for him. At least he won't be in pain anymore.

Thread Information