Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Badly badly injured Bullfrog

yug0

Default Badly badly injured Bullfrog

Hello. Me and a few of my friends happened upon a frog with SEVERE injuries. It's awful and it looks like it's in a LOT of pain. I'm so worried that i'm almost in tears. I have cleaned out the gash with warm water and a little neosporin.
    Here are some pictures.

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  51.8 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  70.4 KB

Please help, I'm so sad and worried...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Badly badly injured Bullfrog

Are you using de-chlorinated water to clean the wounds? Chlorine is toxic and will poison the frog. I would take the poor frog to a Vet, but for now place it in a enclosure with clean. moist paper towels as substrate and a bowl of clean de-chlorinated water. keep the frog in a room that is warm.

Reapply the Neosporin daily and clean the wound each time before applying more. this will help fight infection. You'll have to change the paper towels daily and the frogs water. This is all the assistance I can offer for now. Hopefully someone else will chime in and assist further.

Nationality
    [United States]

Make sure all water that you use is de-chlorinated including water used to clean wounds and moisten the paper towels.. You will have to go buy a de-chlorinating agent from a pet store of any aquarium section. ReptiSafe and Prime are both excellent.

yug0

I'm using hose water and fresh lake water. I'll keep using the neosporin! Thank you!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by yug0 View Post
    I'm using hose water and fresh lake water. I'll keep using the neosporin! Thank you!
    Lake water will not be clean and contains bacteria that could infect the wound further and the hose water has chlorine.

yug0

Oh...yikes. I'll be taking him to the DNR today to see if they can help him. Surprisingly, overnight, a bit of the swelling in his leg has gone down. I'm hoping they can help him!

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh...yikes. I'll be taking him to the DNR today to see if they can help him. Surprisingly, overnight, a bit of the swelling in his leg has gone down. I'm hoping they can help him!
    I commend your efforts. Most people wouldn't go through such a task to save a wild Frog.

yug0

Thanks...unfortunately, the DNR offices were closed today. I ended up taking him home with me (had found him on the side of the road near my grandparent's place, far out in the country). He's doing better. He's more perky, and his leg is even more less swollen. Until I can take him somewhere, I'll just keep doing what I've been doing, because it seems to be working! My grandparents had some mealworms for fishing, so i brought those home and put a few in his aquarium. I'm no expert on frogs(I joined here basically because i needed advice for this big guy), but do you think he'll eat the mealworms?

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks...unfortunately, the DNR offices were closed today. I ended up taking him home with me (had found him on the side of the road near my grandparent's place, far out in the country). He's doing better. He's more perky, and his leg is even more less swollen. Until I can take him somewhere, I'll just keep doing what I've been doing, because it seems to be working! My grandparents had some mealworms for fishing, so i brought those home and put a few in his aquarium. I'm no expert on frogs(I joined here basically because i needed advice for this big guy), but do you think he'll eat the mealworms?
    I'd offer locusts(grass hoppers), Crickets, and earthworms. Mealworms are not a good frog food.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thank you for your efforts. I am so angered by the many You Tube videos of idiots and cruel people abusing frogs. Perhaps I should not look up the word frog on YouTube again. Keep us posted on the outcome of the frog.

yug0

Quote Originally Posted by evangelist6589 View Post
    Thank you for your efforts. I am so angered by the many You Tube videos of idiots and cruel people abusing frogs. Perhaps I should not look up the word frog on YouTube again. Keep us posted on the outcome of the frog.
    Yup Yup! I took him to a dog/cat vet down the street, because that's the only vet around here unfortunately. They gave him some antibiotics (pill form of betadyne i believe?? not sure, it was beta-something). You're supposed to give it to him every day for ten days. I hope it's gonna help him! I've got some crickets too, how many should i give him a day?

Pluke

It almost looks as if the frog lost it's skin completely on that part of it's leg.. hard to tell from the pics, it's good to hear he's getting better though. Good job.

Nevfalath

Can he move his leg or does it feel broken?

yug0

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    It almost looks as if the frog lost it's skin completely on that part of it's leg.. hard to tell from the pics, it's good to hear he's getting better though. Good job.
    Yes, he has. His bones and Muscle are visible.... Thanks!

yug0

Quote Originally Posted by Nevfalath View Post
    Can he move his leg or does it feel broken?
    Well, he CAN move his upper leg, but his lower leg/foot drags behind him...it's incredibly swollen

Nationality
    [United States]

Well, he CAN move his upper leg, but his lower leg/foot drags behind him...it's incredibly swollen
    Keep him warm, moist, and clean. Reapply the Neosporin after you clean the wound daily.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Bravo to you taking care of him and doing your best. Hope he pulls through!

yug0

Thanks for the support, guys! The feeding/medicine process is still hard. He won't eat, so I have to pry his mouth open with my pinkie finger and put a crushed one in his mouth. He doesn't seem to mind that, but he HATES his medicine. I've been dissolving it in water and putting it in a syringe, then putting it in his mouth. He likes to spit it out...I'll bet it doesn't taste good. SO I have to hold his mouth closed, and he swallows it eventually. I know it's stressful for him, but if he wants to get better, it's what has to happen. I've only been washing his wound with water, and then adding neosporin- is there anything else i should do to it?

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the support, guys! The feeding/medicine process is still hard. He won't eat, so I have to pry his mouth open with my pinkie finger and put a crushed one in his mouth. He doesn't seem to mind that, but he HATES his medicine. I've been dissolving it in water and putting it in a syringe, then putting it in his mouth. He likes to spit it out...I'll bet it doesn't taste good. SO I have to hold his mouth closed, and he swallows it eventually. I know it's stressful for him, but if he wants to get better, it's what has to happen. I've only been washing his wound with water, and then adding neosporin- is there anything else i should do to it?
    That's the best you can do for cleaning his wound. Maybe gently swab it with a cotton swab or cotton ball, but you can't use any cleaners or alcohol or else they'll kill him. they're extremely sensitive and absorb water and other things through the skin.

You may also want to go out and buy some UNFLAVORED PEDIALYTE and prepare a bath at a 10 to 1 ratio. So for every 10 ounces of water add 1 ounce of UNFLAVORED PEDIALYETE. it must be unflavored. Soak him in that solution for 20 minutes a day. Also the water for his bath should be de-chlorinated and Luke warm. Be sure its not too deep. Only half his height so he doesn't drown.

yug0

Thanks!
    He's doing okay, but it's extremely extremely hard to feed him and give him medicine. He wont eat if i put crickets in his cage still, so i'm stuck with prying his mouth open, and he HATES it. He always is pushing my hand away or pushing my fingers out with his tongue and hands. Eventually, i can put the crickets in his mouth. This process alone takes like a half an hour, the little stinker just hates it. And I don't blame him. The medicine is the same way, he's like "NOPE". He gets so stressed out that his foot leaks red and turns bright red. When he's calmer, its more brown...yikes.
    Is there ANY easier way to this? I just want him to be more comfortable...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information