Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WARNING: GE Silicone I and II probably no longer safe due to added mildew inhibitor

Omega

Exclamation WARNING: GE Silicone I and II probably no longer safe due to added mildew inhibitor

GE Silicone I and II, long used by fish- and frog-keepers and generally thought of to be aquarium safe, is probably no longer so. GE began using mildew inhibitors (Bioseal) recently in most their silicone products, even if the label says "100% silicone" and doesn't mention anything about mildew. According to an email from GE, all their silicone has trace amounts mildew inhibitors now except for the 1200.

The result? People are reporting massive fish and coral die-off. I'm sure frogs would be affected too, although perhaps not as much.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...light=Silicone

Silicone crash - Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Still, there are some who insist the GE I and II that says 100% silicone with no indication of added mildew inhibitors is still safe to use. Judge for yourself.

2. 3 members thank Omega for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: WARNING: GE Silicone I and II probably no longer safe due to added mildew inhibitor

Fabulous. I just used GE 1 this week.

KingCam

Default Re: WARNING: GE Silicone I and II probably no longer safe due to added mildew inhibitor

So what is safe to use then?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

If this is true then the only thing I can think would be safe would be aquarium silicon, which sucks cause it come in a small toothpaste style tube and is much more expensive

ndame88

Looks like its going to be Titebond III and Gorilla Glue for backgrounds

Quote Originally Posted by IrishRonin View Post
    If this is true then the only thing I can think would be safe would be aquarium silicon, which sucks cause it come in a small toothpaste style tube and is much more expensive
    It comes in standard tubes as well. At Home Hardware (a Canadian chain, sorry) their standard house brand silicone is labeled as aquarium safe and is something like $10 for 3 300mL tubes. I've been using it with no problems for a few years. It only comes in clear or white though.

BonnieLorraine

BioSeal has been in GE Silicone for years, there are threads dating back to 2006 talking about it being added, along with debates over whether or not it poses any danger. From most of what I've read, it's always been in there, they just never labeled it as such. I use CRL black silicone, just because it's what our local fish tank maker uses and I can purchase it by the case. I used GE before and haven't noticed any problems with my frogs or plants perishing though.

ndame88

BonnieLorraine

Just a warning for anyone wanting to use the CRL, the smell is rather intense and it's best done outdoors. I used it indoors, like I did with the GE, and I swear my lungs were on fire and I was coughing for the next 20 minutes.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

i use any kind that is simply 100% silicone. If you aren't sure what product sa re 100% silicone, contact the company that makes it.

bigwilliestyles

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieLorraine View Post
    Just a warning for anyone wanting to use the CRL, the smell is rather intense and it's best done outdoors. I used it indoors, like I did with the GE, and I swear my lungs were on fire and I was coughing for the next 20 minutes.
    Yeah I did indoors in a small apartment and drove my wife insane. I find that the black silicon to be more potent than the clear though.

Omega

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    i use any kind that is simply 100% silicone. If you aren't sure what product sa re 100% silicone, contact the company that makes it.
    I don't know how they get away with it, but even stuff that claims to be 100% silicone can contain mildew inhibitor.

For proof, here's a pic I copied off of Canreef...

Name:  silicone.jpg
Views: 4543
Size:  13.9 KB

Kyle4

-_- i just used The GE 100% silicone stuff on friday and saturday for my new frog tank.... says 5yr mold-free protection. didnt smell horrible. but now this thread has me wondering... :O frogs are already in there and kicking around. but if its been in there for years? we have had this tube for quite a while.

KingCam

I just ordered a tube of this (click here). $8 down from $23.99 suggested retail? Deal.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I don't know how they get away with it, but even stuff that claims to be 100% silicone can contain mildew inhibitor.

For proof, here's a pic I copied off of Canreef...

Name:  silicone.jpg
Views: 4543
Size:  13.9 KB
    This really bothers me as well. It's false advertising, plain & simple. If there is a mold inhibiting additive, then it's not 100% silicone. Even if that inhibitor is 0.1%, then it's 99.9% silicone, not 100%.

Default WARNING: GE Silicone I and II probably no longer safe due to added mildew inh...

This is a case of misinterpreting the packaging. Any product that is 100% silicone will "provide mold-free product protection". It's not saying there are inhibitors in it. That's what silicone does, it provides a sealant that will protect against mold and mildew. Here is the difference between something without inhibitors and one without:

Notice one has a 5 year mold protection bullet? That one has inhibitors in it, the other does not.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    This is a case of misinterpreting the packaging. Any product that is 100% silicone will "provide mold-free product protection". It's not saying there are inhibitors in it.
    It's not a case of label misinterpretation if the manufacturer themselves state that there is in fact a mold inhibitor Look back at the original post:

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    GE Silicone I and II, long used by fish- and frog-keepers and generally thought of to be aquarium safe, is probably no longer so. GE began using mildew inhibitors (Bioseal) recently in most their silicone products, even if the label says "100% silicone" and doesn't mention anything about mildew. According to an email from GE, all their silicone has trace amounts mildew inhibitors now except for the 1200.

Nationality
    [United States]

This - darn - labeling has always been confusing to me!
    But I'm very easily confused
    More so, I'm a skeptic..... and a worry-wart

Gosh --- what the heck is "bioseal"

I don't use anything but Aquarium sealant. ( Marineland and more recently one I forget the name of at the moment)
    sealant- ie Marineland Marineland Aquarium Sealant (1 oz)

I even have concerns about the long-term safety of the aquarium sealants!
    I have not read anything recently regarding the long-term safety profile on the Marineland product;
    specifically its safety long term on frog reproduction.
    Sadly, there are just zero funds to do these kinds of research projects
    As a result, we are left with zero information.

In fact, as far as I know , there is no safety profile on any of the Aquarium Sealants for 'frogs' , only for fish.

If anyone knows of any recent information on the aquarium sealant products ( for frogs) , I would love to read it.

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

It is sad that there are no funds for this sort of thing. However, one thing we do have to fall back on are people with years of experience using silicone products. This is my post on another board when someone was asking specifically about a silicone ingredient list they found and it may help people here too:

I'm no chem major but I can tell you that there is an FDA regulation regarding rubber coming in contact with food. I believe this is what you want to look for, that the silicone conforms to 21 CFR 177.2600. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and here is a link to that regulation: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...fm?fr=177.2600

Here is a link to DAP silicone that meets the requirements of that regulation. If you look under product details, that's where it mentions this regulation: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002Y...528360_TE_dp_1

Now, just keep in mind that this does not mean that the FDA has analyzed this product or that it's FDA approved. The FDA may or may not agree that it meets those requirements

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

We recently used DAP marine and auto 100% silicone on a project, (made a drain filter for my outdoor 40 gallon tub habitat) is that safe? It says not rated for constant under water use. For that matter what about the blue and purple plumbers glues? We used that to put the drain pipe in. The drain in buried in clay balls beneath substrate; the tub is planted in various sedge grasses and ferns.

Name:  Snapshot 7 (8-11-2014 10-00 PM).png
Views: 2969
Size:  191.4 KB
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information