Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Looking to convert 20GAL tall fish tank. :)

Kyle4

Talking New Looking to convert 20GAL tall fish tank. :)

i went down to our local pet store today (The Petworks) and asked if they could buy or would just want the two fish i have left in my TALL 20GAL tank. Then i asked her about converting it to a frog tank. She gave me this site and some good advice and sent me on my way. So now i come to you asking :
    What would be the best starter frog?
    i want something to put in a half water/half rock tank. (my 20GAL tall) and put some plants in, and HOPEFULLY be mostly self contained... add water everynow and then type of thing. i want something that i can just look at and have fun with. nothing like a red eyed tree frog...O.o haha.
    any help or a link to some info is greatly appreciated!

BTW one of my two fish is a FEEDER GOLDFISH! That ive had for AT LEAST 7 years! :O its about 4 inches long. and albino/pure white.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forum . This is a great place to find ideas and help if you need it. We love to share pictures and stories here.

Just a thought, but firebelly toads are a great starter toad/frog. They love the water, are pretty, and they are quite entertaining to watch.

If you like them, I would scroll around here and look at everyones firebelly tanks. There is a section on terrariums and vivariums here.

(Is using aquarium gravel with frogs, use it only under the water section and use larger rocks on the land section. This is so your frogs/toads do not accidentally eat any rocks when chasing their crickets. Just a little tip for you ).

Hope you find lots of fun ideas. You're going to end up loving the frogs or toads you decide to pick as much as we do. Having some fish tank experience is very helpful. And just wait, if you're looking to build a live tank....the challenge has just begun. I'm betting you'll end up loving the designing part. Waterfalls, plants, cool ledges...it's all just an idea away .

Anyway, welcome! I hope we can encourage you as you build .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Kyle4

Default Re: New Looking to convert 20GAL tall fish tank. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Welcome to the forum . This is a great place to find ideas and help if you need it. We love to share pictures and stories here.

Just a thought, but firebelly toads are a great starter toad/frog. They love the water, are pretty, and they are quite entertaining to watch.

If you like them, I would scroll around here and look at everyones firebelly tanks. There is a section on terrariums and vivariums here.

(Is using aquarium gravel with frogs, use it only under the water section and use larger rocks on the land section. This is so your frogs/toads do not accidentally eat any rocks when chasing their crickets. Just a little tip for you ).

Hope you find lots of fun ideas. You're going to end up loving the frogs or toads you decide to pick as much as we do. Having some fish tank experience is very helpful. And just wait, if you're looking to build a live tank....the challenge has just begun. I'm betting you'll end up loving the designing part. Waterfalls, plants, cool ledges...it's all just an idea away .

Anyway, welcome! I hope we can encourage you as you build .
    Hey! That looks like an awesome little guy. Looks like he is smiling. haha. i will definatly do some reading on them. i always liked the waterfalls and plant life frog tanks have had (that ive seen) in the past. tried one of those mail ordered tadpole frog kits... but they just never seemed to last. i dunno what was up. im not even sure if they were used to or could adapt to our house temps.
    Oh yeah, hope fully firebellies aren't poisonous?

Nationality
    [United States]

Youre welcome .

They do have a small amount of toxin in their secretions. Their not a hold them animal though, so you'd be fine. Just wash your hands before and after. We had 4...2 green, 2 brown. We had a Betta in their water. So long as you have a water filter and do water changes you should be fine. That's what we did and it worked well. We loved ours. They're awake during the day, unlike my other frogs, so you can see them acting all silly.

Do they sound like something you'd like?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

There is a great article I found here when I first joined. It's listed in the care article section along with specific care if certain species. It's called "What Frog is Right for You?".

Kyle4

They sound perfect! Ill look into that thread right now. :-D

Nationality
    [United States]

Have fun

Nationality
    [United States]

Fire belly toads are awesome littke toads! I have 4 in a 29 gallon split tabk(i divided it with plexiglass, water and large rocks with a filter and heater on one side and coco fiber with moss on top and a hide spot and put some fake plants in. Fun to do and looks really nice!)
    I have a picture under one of my posts
    Amber

Kyle4

Well, went down and got me a submersable filter. and a flat heater for the bottom. using the old gravel from my fish tank for the water area. and i have bigger pebbles and rocks and stuff to put on the dry area. plan is to have plants up there..
    Cutting a 30cm wide by 1ft long platform in the bottom. raised up three inches. still decided wheter to make a plexi glass ramp too, or just a drop off and use rocks. picking up the toads tomorrow. ill have plants and such next weekend. oh yeah, also got them some things to hide under.
    plan is to have plants next weekend as i ran out of money... haha. ill post pics up tomorrow when its together!

Nationality
    [United States]

It sounds great! Did you find the firebelly toad care instructions in the care article area? It is a great guide.

You'll need some amphibian/reptile calcium with vitaminD3 powder and some reptile multivitamin powder. Use a baggy and sprinkle a pinch of calcium on your crickets every other day and the mvi one day a week, not on the same day as the calcium. Put the pinch in the baggy and give it a gentle shake to lightly coat the bugs.

Isn't that the truth, lol! Setting up can be pricey. It sounds like you've got the set-up down. I find that people who have owned fish are a step ahead.

I'm sure you have dechlorinator, as you have fish .

It's good to have a nice plant or rock in the water area for taking a rest when they swim.

Kyle4

Didn't quite get one corner sealed.... Had to take everything apart and add more silicone. . :-\ frogs are chillin in a large bowl with the heater for a few hours till the 3 hour silicone dry.

Namio

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post

Use a baggy and sprinkle a pinch of calcium on your crickets every other day and the mvi one day a week, not on the same day as the calcium.
    First of all, great suggestions, Heather.

But many people have suggested to never dust Vitamin & Calcium powder at the same time, yet I can't seem to find any research or article on this. Don't take it personally and by no means I'm questioning you because likely you got the info somewhere else, but I do question the validity of that statement. Is it scientifically proven? Because I don't see why an animal can't process both nutrients efficiently at the same time.

Kyle4

I bought some reptimin stuff that has both.... So it has to be okay. Its a combined multivitamim with d3 and calcium

Kyle4

Frogs are in the tank. They seem to love the tank. :-) just chillen around. Ill add pictures up later. :-) waiting a while for them to settle before I feed them.

Kyle4

Any idea how remove the calcium scum from the egde of the tank from the fish setup? :-\ without buying ammonia less window cleaner? Or vinegar....

Kyle4

Here are some pictures!
    (yes my back ground is mossy oak camo wrapping paper. )
    Name:  482124_418784418158692_140644797_n.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  40.5 KB
    Name:  403980_418731378163996_2123860070_n.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  35.0 KB
    Name:  483937_418733861497081_1521650153_n.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  24.0 KB
    This guy V already tried escaping last night lol!
    Name:  533209_418783598158774_1379357441_n.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  36.9 KB
    He DID make it all the way to the top. :O
    Name:  423424_418950358142098_1931935344_n.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  30.8 KB
    He was being VERY odd last night, and i couldnt stop snapping pictures. i have like 30 from last night. i love his under side!
    Name:  614723_418950818142052_1772782854_o.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  62.6 KB
    And just now this morning. one of both of htem was giving a call, and one was on top of the other. dunno what is going on. i thought the other one was the male.... O.o lol.
    Oh, i also remembered, my tank is a 29 Gallon Tall tank.

Nationality
    [United States]

That is beautiful, especially the background, Love it.

Kyle4

Thanks. :-) i love it myself.

Nationality
    [United States]

I really like it ! Love the background .

Good climbers . Might want to weigh down the lid with a lamp light or rock, lol! I used a lamp. Once winter rolled around I needed it to keep the tank warm anyway. If you do get a lamp at some point be sure to get one with a dimmer. Infared bulbs are best bc you can use them at night and the light generally won't bother them. Bulbs no higher than a 50watt. How's the temp holding in there for you?

Is only one croaking or both? Lol! Well, you definitely have at least one male. Great choice of frogs, btw. They have nice markings.

Are they eating for you? It is still a good idea to use the calcium/vita D3 bc there is minimal in the multivitamin. Calcium is their most needed mineral.

I use a tank scraper to get the calcium deposits off. It looks like a scrubby sponge on a stick. It works pretty good. Most chemicals are toxic to them and have to be thoroughly rinsed out. I'd hate for you to have to reset it up.

Great job!

Kyle4

Actually, I'm hoping that they will be fine till Friday when I can get them a light. My room is the coldest in the house (basement) and I forgot. The water has an auto heater that keeps it around 70-78 degrees. They move in and out of it as they please though. :-)
    They both ate three crickets a piece without much hesitation. Lol. :-) quick little things too. Afaik its only one barking.... :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information